Numerical strength of the IA Infantry

Snuggy321

Just read this wiki article which states that the US army has less than 70000 infantry men (!) in its army, same goes for most other western armies.

So whats the numerical strenghts of the IA infantry regiments????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infantry

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
No, not every IA soldier is an infantrymen. I was surprised to see that only 70000 men in the US military (which has over 1.000.000 men) are infantry men (read the introduction of this wiki article Infantry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Every recruited soldier of the IA is trained as Infantryman and may work as Infantry man..... RR is an example !!

JBH22

Taking the example of the US army for 1 infantryman to fight you need 4 soldiers to support him in terms of logistics,intelligence etc i.e ratio 1:4. In france the ratio is 1:3.

In the case of Indian army i believe it should be far higher given that we still at large remains man intensive force, think about Siachen to keep these guys in those posts you need soldiers to bring fuel,food,ammo,intelligence. a whole cohort just to keep a few post working

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Taking the example of the US army for 1 infantryman to fight you need 4 soldiers to support him in terms of logistics,intelligence etc i.e ratio 1:4. In france the ratio is 1:3.

In the case of Indian army i believe it should be far higher given that we still at large remains man intensive force, think about Siachen to keep these guys in those posts you need soldiers to bring fuel,food,ammo,intelligence. a whole cohort just to keep a few post working
From where have you got these figures?
Link please?

US and French or British Armies are expeditionary armies. Always fighting far away thousands of Km from home land.

IA is employed for guarding the Indian borders in the country. Why should it require a logistic backup of 1:4. Is the basic mandate of IA is to fight on mainland USA ??

You must be some logistics corps man advocating a wrong cause and advancing a wrong logic.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
No, not every IA soldier is an infantrymen. I was surprised to see that only 70000 men in the US military (which has over 1.000.000 men) are infantry men (read the introduction of this wiki article Infantry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Then the ratio of Infantry and logistics is about 3 (Infantry ) to 1 (logistics) unless your figures are wrong. 70,000 to 30,000 (total1,000,000) as out of those 30000 all would not be logistsics.

In western armies and US Army logistics mostly is civilian contractor function.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
It is compulsory for a recruited soldier in IA to serve for 2 years in RR............

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
More over in other Armies over the world, not all the recruits are like infantry as they serve under S.S.C.(Short Service Commission) as in INDIAN DEFENCE FORCES.

drkrn

From where have you got these figures?
Link please?

US and French or British Armies are expeditionary armies. Always fighting far away thousands of Km from home land.

IA is employed for guarding the Indian borders in the country. Why should it require a logistic backup of 1:4. Is the basic mandate of IA is to fight on mainland USA ??

You must be some logistics corps man advocating a wrong cause and advancing a wrong logic.
our army is not as advanced as they are.not heavily mechanized or computerized as usa

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles