Nuclear explosion last time, economic explosion this time: Nawaz

Discussion in 'Pakistan' started by farhan_9909, Mar 26, 2013.

1. farhan_9909

farhan_9909 Tihar Jail Banned

MANSEHRA: The frontrunner in Pakistan’s election race, opposition leader Nawaz Sharif, attracted tens of thousands Monday to a rally at which he promised development and economic success.

Sharif travelled to the northwestern town of Mansehra, a stronghold of his Pakistan Muslim League-N party, where supporters packed a huge stadium.

Two police officials estimated the crowd at up to 30,000, in contrast to the hundreds who greeted former military ruler Pervez Musharraf on his return to Pakistan Sunday after four years in exile to contest the polls.

Opinion polls are notoriously unreliable in Pakistan, but indicators suggest Sharif is likely to emerge the biggest winner from the general election on May 11, which will mark the country’s first democratic transition of power.

The stadium was decorated with large portraits of Sharif and banners reading “Tiger of Pakistan, we love you” and “Welcome prime minister of Pakistan, pride of Pakistan”.

The PML-N’s election symbol is a tiger and the rally featured a live tiger in a cage.

Many voters are disillusioned with the outgoing Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) government, saddled with allegations of corruption and mismanagement. Security and the economy have worsened over the last five years.

Pakistan became a nuclear power in May 1998 during Sharif’s second term as prime minister. He was ousted by Musharraf the following year.

“Last time we carried out nuclear explosions. Now we will carry out economic explosions,” Sharif told the crowd.

Wearing a traditional dark grey turban offered to him by local leaders, he urged them to vote for “Pakistan”.

Militant attacks and record levels of violence against the Shia Muslim minority have raised fears about security for the polls in the nation of 180 million.

Sharif ordered a bullet-proof screen around his podium to be removed, a move greeted with loud applause.

But security was extremely tight with police commandos patrolling with AK-47s and a buffer zone ringed with barbed wire around the stage.

As prime minister, Sharif earned praise for economic reforms and for building a motorway from the northwestern city of Peshawar to the northeastern city of Lahore.

He promised that if elected a third time, he would build a motorway from Lahore to Karachi, Pakistan’s business capital on the Arabian Sea.

“I am not fond of power, I only want to see my country progressing and my people prosper,” he told the crowd.

Sharif was first elected prime minister in 1990 but sacked three years later on corruption charges.

He returned to power in 1997 after an election but was ousted in the 1999 coup by Musharraf and was sent into exile in Saudi Arabia in 2000.

He returned in November 2007 just before the February 2008 general election, won by the PPP on a wave of support following the assassination of its leader Benazir Bhutto in December 2007.

Nuclear explosion last time, economic explosion this time: Nawaz – The Express Tribune

3. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Is he saying he want's bomb the economy of Pakistan? :D

Blackwater likes this.
  4. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

after last time he was arrested. Hope this time it will be different for your country. :rofl:

5. farhan_9909

i guess the only jalsa i have attended ever

in hazara division no doubt PMLN will win

6. Bachchu Yadav

Bachchu Yadav Regular Member

PML N will sweep this election in Punjab ... Mark by word !

You are seeing a little lead of PMLn over PTI ... it a multi contested election it makes a sea change ...

For eg . see a UP election .. SP has got 29% of vote and BSP has got 26% of votes .. SP got 226 and BSP got mere 80 seats out of 404 total seats.

7. farhan_9909

punjab is confirmed no doubt

hazara division(mansehra/abbottabad,haripu) ae part of KPK while here again PMLN is a clear winner

even though i am a supporter of Imran Khan but since the past few weeks i have very strong feeling that PMLN will win this and And nawaz PM

8. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

it means people of abbotabad think otherwise as you???

i wonder from where your super hero Imran khan wins??

keeping in mind if not punab or not KPK, forget sindh then from where ??

9. Bachchu Yadav

I too liked Imran Khan over Namaz Sharif , reason for downfall of Imran according to me

1. Over confidence , when came to India on Outlook summit , He was telling Indian journalists.. "You are not talking to Imran khan but future prime Minister of Pakistan , we will be the future government".... Man ! what was that .. A wise people show magnanimity not chest thumping in victory !..

2. Peaked at wrong time .... He has done all short of Jalsa quite some time back ... then period of lull ... This is the perhaps time when Imran Khan should have peaked ... and Doing Jalsa every week in small and big town.

10. Bachchu Yadav

I too liked Imran Khan over Namaz Sharif , reason for slide of Imran according to me

1. Over confidence !!, when came to India on Outlook summit , He was telling Indian journalists.. "You are not talking to Imran khan but future prime Minister of Pakistan , we will be the future government".... Man ! what was that .. A wise people show magnanimity not chest thumping in victory !..

2. Peaked at wrong time !!.... He has done all short of Jalsa quite some time back ... then period of lull ... This is the perhaps time when Imran Khan should have peaked ... and Doing Jalsa every week in small and big town.

11. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Imran Khan was all gas no substance. Army popped him a bit and he dabbled with terrorists.

Nawaz when out of power has talked quite a bit about Aman ka Tamasha. Lets see what he does IF he wins. Well don't expect any radical shift as far as Indo Pak relations go. It will be the same if not worse.