Nuclear-attack on India will finish Pakistan: Ex-NSA

chex3009

Country flag
Nuclear-attack on India will finish Pakistan: Ex-NSA

If Pakistan ever uses nuclear weapons against India, it will be finished, says former national security adviser Brajesh Mishra, who has held the office under the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government.

Mishra, awarded Padma Vibhushan last week, was talking to M. J. Akbar, editorial director, India Today on Aaj Tak's Seedhi Baat . He said Pakistan's army, which plays a central role in formulating the country's policies on issues such as Afghanistan, nuclear weapons and India, will never permit peaceful coexistence with India.

On the Pakistan- China relationship, Mishra said the two countries are strategic partners.

"As China changed its stance on Kashmir, I said in next two- three years, we have to be careful on both the fronts. While China, like India, will adhere to the policy of no- first use of nuclear weapons, this cannot be said of Pakistan, but they will be finished if they use weapons against India," he said.

Asked why Vajpayee held talks with Pakistan, including the Agra Summit, if he was aware of such hostility, Mishra said: " I was against the Agra Summit. It was a political decision and I was kept out of it … I had then remarked it will not succeed." He added all Indian PMs have wanted to hold talks with Pakistan.

Akbar then referred to former Pakistan president Pervez Musharraf's statement that some people in the Indian government were out to sabotage the talks. " When there was no agreement, how can there be sabotage? The cabinet had decided against the terms of the agreement," Mishra said.

To a question concerning speculations that the former NSA M. K. Narayanan's term was not extended owing to his differences with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh over Pakistan, Mishra said: " Maybe what you are saying is right."

Report: India Today

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Pakistani nuke threat is a bluff I always maintain. Even the crazy generals there are not so crazy to risk a nuke war. It is a deterrence and it has worked for them on two occasions. Once during kargil when though they were the aggressors, they managed to make india work hard by not crossing the LOC. Second was op Parakram. I may also add that post 26/11 inaction may also to have to do with that.
India needs to call pak nuke bluff at some stage so that pakistan cannot hide behind the threat of nukes and continue to bleed india with impunity.

captonjohn

Country flag
Pakistan already know this that he won't get any chance to second strike that's why his first attack would be heavy trying to stale indian nuke strike.

pmaitra

Pakistani nuke threat is a bluff I always maintain. Even the crazy generals there are not so crazy to risk a nuke war. It is a deterrence and it has worked for them on two occasions. Once during kargil when though they were the aggressors, they managed to make india work hard by not crossing the LOC. Second was op Parakram. I may also add that post 26/11 inaction may also to have to do with that.
India needs to call pak nuke bluff at some stage so that pakistan cannot hide behind the threat of nukes and continue to bleed india with impunity.
Regarding Kargil, it didn't quite work. They thought India would not retaliate against the sneaking Pakistanis because they have nukes. They were wrong. They even gave veiled threats that they might use them when the tide of war was turning against them. It still didn't work.

Blackwater

I dont think India response will be that fast before India do anything pak ne 100 missile mar deni ha

Country flag
Our BMD is 97%+ effective once it is in place, with a 3% chance of hitting and 100% chance of retaliation and total wipeout does it makes sense to play these odds??

chex3009

Country flag
I dont think India response will be that fast before India do anything pak ne 100 missile mar deni ha
I doubt the pakistanis can deliver these numbers of nukes on Indian cities in short time, they would be easily detected by Indian "eyes in the sky" and the attack can be reduced to such an extent that its not that damaging, although we would have to pay price, but in return they can be reduced to ashes and "bombed back to stone age".

Indian SFC badly needs some good platforms to deliver our nukes in the aftermath.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Regarding Kargil, it didn't quite work. They thought India would not retaliate against the sneaking Pakistanis because they have nukes. They were wrong. They even gave veiled threats that they might use them when the tide of war was turning against them. It still didn't work.
India not crossing LoC and taking bigger casualties as a result can be attributed to india not risking pak expansion of war which could then turn nuke.

Iamanidiot

India not crossing LoC and taking bigger casualties as a result can be attributed to india not risking pak expansion of war which could then turn nuke.
yusuf iam seeing a pattern day before yesterday our COAS was saying bious baki tactical nukes won't work on the indian army.Today our ex NSA is saying we will green fried bious if they do something stupid.Is ll this co-ordinated? or just plain speaking.I think the InA and GoI have smelled something whichwe don't know

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Nah I don't think anything is cooking except to make sure india in no uncertain terms let them know getting nukes is not an option. It also tells the west which keeps coming up with now routine reports that pak arsenal is bigger than india in the hope of getting india state its arsenal, that india will most certainly glass a lot of that country. No numbers but just enough to let them know what we can do.

Iamanidiot

Yusuf this doesn't explain why the indian establishment is going ballistic all of a sudden against pakistan.I think the foggy bottom people want us to negotiate on kashmir and India is giving response in this manner

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yusuf this doesn't explain why the indian establishment is going ballistic all of a sudden against pakistan.I think the foggy bottom people want us to negotiate on kashmir and India is giving response in this manner
Indian govt esp the leaders since 98 are looking for legacies and short sell india on kashmir. So no I don't think this has anything to do with kashmir.

Iamanidiot

Indian govt esp the leaders since 98 are looking for legacies and short sell india on kashmir. So no I don't think this has anything to do with kashmir.
No Indian leader can sell a solution on kashmir to public.I think the foggy bottom guys want to have the PA acit in Waziristan and PA is asking to deliver on Kashmir

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
No Indian leader can sell a solution on kashmir to public.I think the foggy bottom guys want to have the PA acit in Waziristan and PA is asking to deliver on Kashmir
The mushy plan that got nearly sealed before mushy got kicked out (thank go for that) was a sell out for india. No mention of GB in it.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Kargil was good opportunity to take back pok but i think fear of nukes held back bjp....im sure armed forces would have taken the opportunity if given the green light.

SHASH2K2

Kargil was good opportunity to take back pok but i think fear of nukes held back bjp....im sure armed forces would have taken the opportunity if given the green light.
If you talk about 1965 and 1971 as opportunity to take back POK it was somewhat feasible. expecting a full fledged war to take back POK from a nuclear armed terrorist state is nothing but suicide.

Oracle

Shash, what if we we change our Nuclear doctrine from no-first use to ambiguous? A statement like this from the GoI would make the Pakistanis wet their pants. Not to mention, straighten them up a little. And in case, of a high possibility of a nuclear warfare, it would be better if we take them out first.

chex3009

Country flag
Shash, what if we we change our Nuclear doctrine from no-first use to ambiguous? A statement like this from the GoI would make the Pakistanis wet their pants. Not to mention, straighten them up a little. And in case, of a high possibility of a nuclear warfare, it would be better if we take them out first.
Then the pakistanis will go berserk on their nukes production and triple it as the GoI is delivering the official doctrine via any medium.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles