NSA whistleblower Snowden seeks asylum in India: WikiLeaks

t_co

That number is close to 40% but perhaps only 5% have perfect English like @ray. Literacy is 74%, but still it is for regional languages. For the bold part, not always. Look at me.
@Ray does not have perfect English.

The only Indian posters on DFI with a near-perfect command of English is @Rage, and to a lesser extent @pmaitra.

Last edited by a moderator:

LalTopi

Explain what? Explain why India is a victim of American surveillance program?

How about the figure below? Get the point? You are under heavy surveillance of Americans, they are spying you through internet

Indians care about their internet security, don't you? At least that is the impression I got, you bannedZTE, Huawei, and now are banning WeChat in the name of protecting national security.

But now, what the hell? You are on the top of American surveillance list, you people don't even protest. On the contratry, you are defending the program which is being used to spy you.

What kind of mentality is that?
could you explain this picture please.
where is it from? what is DNI, DNR etc.?
thanks.

TrueSpirit

The only Indian posters on DFI with a near-perfect command of English is @Rage, and to a lesser extent @pmaitra.
Then, you should read more of Ray Sir. His command over English is unquestionable. No one on DFI can even dream of equaling him. But, that's not important.

The best part is, one cannot debate & score over him. His logical ability, analytic skills, diction & manner of speech is par excellence. I have grown among defence professionals (basically, grew up under their shadow) but Ray Sir is one of a kind. Not all Indian military officers have that sort of command over language & expression. One cannot help but admire this.

Reactions: VIP

Blackwater

lol chinis talking of English is same as pakis talking of going to MARS

BTW sir Ray is a army officer, he has a better command over English then ur 1.3 billion chinis

t_co

lol chinis talking of English is same as pakis talking of going to MARS

BTW sir Ray is a army officer, he has a better command over English then ur 1.3 billion chinis
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

t_co

Then, you should read more of Ray Sir. His command over English is unquestionable. No one on DFI can even dream of equaling him. But, that's not important.

The best part is, one cannot debate & score over him. His logical ability, analytic skills, diction & manner of speech is par excellence. I have grown among defence professionals (basically, grew up under their shadow) but Ray Sir is one of a kind. Not all Indian military officers have that sort of command over language & expression. One cannot help but admire this.
If his "logical ability, analytic skills, diction & manner of speech" is truly unique among Indian defense professionals, then I fear their standards must be low indeed, unless you are referring to having innate racism towards Pakistanis, Chinese, Sri Lankans, and whatever other neighboring nationality that refuses to "peacefully submit to India's reasonable demands".

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
If his "logical ability, analytic skills, diction & manner of speech" is truly unique among Indian defense professionals, then I fear their standards must be low indeed, unless you are referring to having innate racism towards Pakistanis, Chinese, Sri Lankans, and whatever other neighboring nationality that refuses to "peacefully submit to India's reasonable demands".
Is Chinese, Pakistani or Sri Lankan a race?

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
When the race card is played, the player is losing. Every time.
Mostly, it is either fools with no concept of the difference between race and nationality or dishonest commentators intent on slander rather than meaningful debate who use the race card. t_co can decide which one is he.

t_co

Mostly, it is either fools with no concept of the difference between race and nationality or dishonest commentators intent on slander rather than meaningful debate who use the race card. t_co can decide which one is he.
Look at @Ray's posts on how the "Chinese are a wily race" sometime. You cannot force me into that logical dilemma of being a fool or a slanderer since he's the one who started calling Chinese a "race" - I'm merely using his semantic paradigm to show the racism underlying most of his arguments.

Of course, if you want to apply this statement equally across DFI, then I would gladly accept this dilemma being forced on me, so long as we can all agree @Ray is also either a dishonest slanderer or a fool.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
"Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, great minds discuss ideas!"

Can we get back to the topic please? :)

DivineHeretic

Country flag
What would India earn from providing Snowden Asylum?

Moral high-ground, respect in international eyes for a fiercely free, sovereign National foreign policy would be some of the major gains, if not the only gains.

Now lets stack these benefits up against the harm we would face...

We lose the trust of US as a direct consequence for our actions. We also open ourselves for asylum requests from whistleblowers of other nationalities fleeing their govt.
This would be a very negative message to send to the world; friends and opponents alike.

The idea that a whistleblower can take asylum in India will erode the worldwide trust we enjoy. That would be the long term indirect consequence for granting asylum to Snowden.

Then comes the next set of diplomatic problems that we'd have to face.

The fact that we allowed asylum to a national threat would invite similar retaliation against us. Lets face it, unlike harmless computer geeks like Snowden, we will have to deal with terrorists escaping to Gulf states or ASEAN states or even Canada or the UK. It would be extremely difficult to negotiate an extradition from these nations if they believe that we might shelter their dissidents.

Snowden's acts and that of a terrorist are obviously not comparable, thats not the premise here. The point is that the nations can and will use our precedent to deny us the extradition of terrorists.

I think everyone here will agree that it would be a nightmare for our security and intelligence services if every terrorist realises that he'd find shelter in a willing nation after commiting mass murders on our citizens. We already have seen the effect of Sikh extremists finding sanctuary in Canada, and ULFA, NDFB, NSCN finding safe heavens in Bangladesh and Myanmar.

The fact is that for this seemingly simple, morally righteous act, We'd have to shoulder a major threat on top of a hostile diplomacy.

Rage

DFI TEAM

Sorry, I don't believe I have anywhere close to a 'perfect command' of English. I am flattered though.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Snowden gets asylum in Russia, has 'no plans' to leave
National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden has been granted temporary asylum in Russia for one year but has "no plans" to leave for another country, according to his lawyer.

The former defense contractor left the transit zone of Moscow's Sheremetyevo airport, where he has been holed up since June 23, and went by taxi to an undisclosed location, according to Anatoly Kucherena, Snowden's legal representative.
Pathetic, self-serving video by Snowden's father embedded at link.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles