NSA whistleblower Snowden seeks asylum in India: WikiLeaks

Blackwater

LONDON: Three weeks after Julian Assange told TOI exclusively that India should not hesitate to give Edward Snowden asylum, the NSA whistleblower has now officially asked India for political protection from the US.

WikiLeaks revealed on Tuesday that Snowden has officially submitted asylum requests to 19 countries including India and China.

Asylum requests have also been made to Austria, Bolivia, Brazil, Cuba, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Ireland, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Norway, Poland, Russia, Spain, Switzerland and Venezuela.

Assange, who called Snowden a hero for exposing how America was snooping into people's emails, phone calls, messages en masse and across the globe, had told TOI: "It was because of Snowden that India came to know how US was snooping on them. It is a moral obligation for India to protect Snowden. India is a superpower and does not have to fear other nations. Now is the time for India to show it stands up for human rights."

WikiLeaks on Tuesday said that on June 30, WikiLeaks' legal advisor in the Edward Snowden matter, Sarah Harrison, submitted by hand a number of requests for asylum and asylum assistance on behalf of Snowden.

The requests were delivered to an official at the Russian consulate at Sheremetyevo Airport in Moscow.

WikiLeaks said, "the documents outline the risks of persecution Mr Snowden faces in the US and have started to be delivered by the Russian consulate to the relevant embassies in Moscow.

The requests join or update others previously made including to Ecuador and Iceland."

WikiLeaks chief Assange had told TOI that India should grant political asylum to America's most wanted Snowden for exposing how the former was among the top five countries most extensively monitored by the American National Security Agency (NSA) under the prism programme.

Assange said, "if a small nation like Ecuador with just 14 million people could have the guts to provide him asylum, India, which has considerable global standing with a billion plus population, should not be afraid of standing up for human rights and giving Snowden asylum."

Assange, an Australian citizen, has been cooped up at the Ecuadorian embassy in London since June 19, 2012 after the South American country granted him political asylum.

Assange has, however, been sore with India.

For the first time, Assange revealed to TOI that India was among the first countries he approached for asylum. But he never heard back.

"I was disappointed and saddened that India, which is known for upholding human rights, never got back to me despite several requests by me for asylum. Indians are also great supporters of WikiLeaks. I therefore contacted the foreign office through the Indian high commissioner. I wrote to them but they never responded back. Ecuadorians showed immense courage and granted me asylum," Assange told TOI.

In March this year, the NSA recorded 6.3 billion pieces of intelligence from computer networks in India, placing it fifth on the list of most extensively monitored countries.

Iran topped the list with 14 billion pieces of intelligence collected from it.

Pakistan was second with 13.5 billion, Jordan was third with 12.7 billion and Egypt was fourth with 7.6 billion.

NSA whistleblower Snowden seeks asylum in India: WikiLeaks - The Times of India

TrueSpirit

GoI representative has already denied receiving any asylum request from Snowden. We are just not up to it.

Anyway, granting him asylum would serve us no great purpose.

Coalmine

Country flag
Yes when Congress govt itself is defending americans how can snowden come to India.
BJP was right when it said that UPA is stooge of US and helping their interests.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Bloody idiots of the highest order!

We should have granted it to him and let the yanks whine, would have been an apt reply for keeping headley away from us.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

We should have granted it to him and let the yanks whine, would have been an apt reply for keeping headley away from us.
Several countries have turned down his bid for asylum.
I think India did the right thing, coz they have nothing to gain from it.

Snowden asylum bid: 1 withdrawn, 9 denied, 11 pending — RT News

Also he withdrew his request to the Russian Federation.

"Snowden did voice a request to remain in Russia. Then, yesterday, hearing President Putin outline Russia's position regarding the conditions under which he could do this, he withdrew his request for permission to stay in Russia," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told journalists.
On Monday evening, Putin said: "If he wants to go somewhere [another country] and is accepted, he can. If he wants to stay here, there is one condition: He must stop his work aimed at harming our US partners, no matter how strange this may sound coming from me."
Snowden Does Not Want to Stay in Russia – Kremlin | Russia | RIA Novosti

According to reports his best bet might be Venezuela.

@LurkerBaba : Merge Alert: http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...ylum-india-19-other-countries.html#post754185 Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackwater

India, being a victim of US surveillance programs, is defending Americans?

Do you have any self esteem?

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2
No i had Maruti ZEN:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

anyhow, america did surveillance to EU and UK too.from where self esteem come from . it was their duty for protection of homeland security,

Last edited:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate

We should have granted it to him and let the yanks whine,"would have been an apt reply for keeping headley away from us.
At the very least, they could have granted him entry into India pending consideration of his asylum request. During the "consideration", the government could have demanded that various Khalistani terrorists holed up in the US as so called refugees be transferred to India.

If the US agreed, a quid pro quo could have been done.

But the goddamn arselickers in power don't have the balls to do anything.

I wonder why they keep providing refuge to the Dalai Lama. Maybe they see it as a necessity to protect the legacy of Nehru!

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
India is a Republic country and anyone can came and live here even our Enemies but No Place for Traitors Snowden you're a Traitor of your Motherland

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

They Hacked your Computers too..Did the Chinese declared war against Americans

nimo_cn

Country flag
No i had Maruti ZEN:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

anyhow, america did surveillance to EU and UK too.from where self esteem come from . it was their duty for protection of homeland security,
To protect homeland security by spying India?

nimo_cn

Country flag
They Hacked your Computers too..Did the Chinese declared war against Americans
we didnt, neither did we defend their surveillance program!

Blackwater

To protect homeland security by spying India?

Nimo jaan, US spied on china,UK and dutch too, why pointing finger only on india?. Hope you know , Dutch are the closest ally of US after UK and Dutch has the biggest stockpile of US nuke missile in Europe, still they were bugged by US.

On India, for the last 65 yrs India was on Russia side. Now, recently we r moving towards US but with cautious. we did not open all cards in front of US. so it was obvious step by USA.

India and USA are getting closer due to same interest, iam sure ur chini govt also bugged pakis offices

bose

Country flag

Only China has self esteem in this world...

nimo_cn

Country flag
Nimo jaan, US spied on china,UK and dutch too, why pointing finger only on india?. Hope you know , Dutch are the closest ally of US after UK and Dutch has the biggest stockpile of US nuke missile in Europe, still they were bugged by US.

On India, for the last 65 yrs India was on Russia side. Now, recently we r moving towards US but with cautious. we did not open all cards in front of US. so it was obvious step by USA.

India and USA are getting closer due to same interest, iam sure ur chini govt also bugged pakis offices
Because you are the only victim who is defending the Americans.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles