NRIs get right to vote in Indian elections, promises Manmohan Singh

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by JAISWAL, Jan 8, 2012.

1. JAISWAL

JAISWAL Senior Member Senior Member

NRIs get right to vote in Indian elections, promises Manmohan Singh - The Times of India
    JAIPUR: Fulfilling a long-standing demand of its diaspora, India Sunday said it would allow NRIs to vote and participate in the election process.
    "Pursuant to the law that was enacted to enable Non-resident Indians to vote in our national elections, the government has issued notifications for registration of overseas electors under the Representation of People Act, 1950,"
    Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said.
    "This constitutes the first major step to enable Indian residents abroad to participate in our election process," the prime minister said while addressing the annual Pravasi Bharatiya Divas diaspora meet here.
    He said the diaspora plays an important role in the growth and development of the country. The government recognises it, and was committed to address their concerns and fulfil their demands.
    "The government and people of India recognise and value the important role being played by Indian communities living abroad. We believe that Indian diaspora has much more to contribute to the building of modern India," the prime minister said.
    "We propose to facilitate, encourage and promote this engagement. Over the past year, we have taken a number of steps towards this end," he added, as he formally inaugurated the 10th annual diaspora meet, the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) here.
    Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi said NRIs would be able to exercise their franchise in upcoming elections.
    "Indian nationals living abroad can now exercise their franchise in India at the time of the elections," Ravi said.
    Now those NRIs who have registered with the embassies of their respective countries of stay, would be eligible to vote in the upcoming assembly elections in five states including Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Goa and Manipur.
    Polls will take place in these countries between Jan
    28 and March 3. Ravi said objective of the government was to further increase engagements with diaspora.
    "Our objective is to raise the level of engagement to go beyond mere investment related issues and address a broade agenda."
    "We believe that this will provide the vast majority of you the opportunity to benefit from as well as contribute - each in your own way - to India's development story," the minister said. Later talking to media person, Ravi said this year's Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) is the largest congregation of Indian diaspora.
    He said almost 1,900 delegates from around 60 countries were participating in the three-day event.

3. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

I recently surrendered my Indian passport . Can i still vote ???

4. Rahul M

Rahul M Regular Member

nope .

5. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

Hah...new votebank, nice.

johnee likes this.
  6. Virendra

Virendra Moderator Moderator

A little one though. Emotional satisfaction for the "Chitthi Ayi hai Vatan se" type NRIs :heh:

7. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

I assume NRI here refers to Indian citizens who are presently residing outside India more a duration of more than 6 months. Then all that PM is talking about is extending the postal ballot facility to Indian citizens overseas. I believe armed forces personnel already have this facility.

8. Tronic

Tronic Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Punjab elections; Manpreet will gain from this. Just wondering though, what constituency would NRIs fall under? :confused:

9. JAISWAL

Yes, you can vote if you have PIO/NRI card or dual citizen card.

10. Tronic

Dual citizen card??? Is there such a thing?? I thought India does not allow dual citizenship.

11. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

I believe many may have already registered for their voter IDs before they left the indian shores. Those will be easy tto accomodate. Those who do not have voter IDs, may be asked to register.

12. Payeng

Payeng Daku Mongol Singh

Maybe just as Armed force.

13. Payeng

Payeng Daku Mongol Singh

for POI it is doubtful as it may not indicate he is an Indian citizen, NRIs are those who are working abroad in an Indian Passports it might be possible, dual citizenship is not permissible as per Indian law.

14. Tronic

Means they would be asked to bring their previous Indian residence proof and vote according to that?

Armed forces are different than NRIs. Armed forces personnel have permanent Indian residences, NRIs don't; as the name suggests, non-resident Indian.

So what does this mean? They will be allowed to vote on the account of their last residence in India?

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess the votes will be registered by account of the address on the Indian passport.

15. Payeng

Payeng Daku Mongol Singh

^^ Generally speaking to obtain a passport he need to be an Indian (condition applied), with proof of permanent residence, just like the PRC requirement for Armed personnel.

16. JAISWAL

Ohooo!
    Galti se mistake ho gaya.
    Citizenship ke place pe card likh diya.
    And last i heard India does allow dual citizenship but only to few PIO citizen of few selected countries.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  17. Payeng

Payeng Daku Mongol Singh

18. JAISWAL

Ok, I might have mistaken this OCI card for dual citizenship............ Government of India decided to grant Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) which most people mistakenly refer as 'dual citizenship'. Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) of certain category who migrated from India and acquired citizenship of a foreign country other than Pakistan and Bangladesh, are eligible for grant of OCI as long as their home countries allow dual citizenship in some form or the other under their local laws.
    India Dual citizenship

19. Blackwater

Yes i got OCI card.. can i vote with that??

20. Blackwater

I think he refers to OCI card. Overseas citizenship of India card

21. Blackwater

India govt allowed PIO card or OCI card to all citizen of all countries who qualify Except citizen or origin of Na-Pak , Afganistan, Sri-lanka, Bangladesh..