Now, Trinamool to persuade Ratan Tata to return to Bengal

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by pmaitra, May 17, 2011.

1. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Now, Trinamool to persuade Ratan Tata to return to Bengal

TNN | May 17, 2011, 01.52am IST; Times of India

NEW DELHI: Ratan Tata may have blamed Mamata Banerjee for ousting his Nano project from West Bengal but newly-elected MLA Amit Mitra, tipped to be finance minister, said the Trinamool-Congress regime would seek the salt-to-software conglomerate's return to the state.

Mitra, who is yet to resign as Ficci secretary general, said in a television interview that he did not see any reason why the Tata group would not return as they had hotel and other projects in the state. There were many other opportunities to be tapped as well, he said.

He said Trinamool would get in touch with Ratan Tata and look to persuade the chairman of Tata Sons to renew the aborted association. When asked if Tatas would respond given that they had blamed Mamata for their exit, Mitra said no one drove them out of the state.

What happened had transpired under special circumstances and led to Tatas stopping work at the proposed plant in Singur after Mamata opposed the project to launch Nano, Mitra said.

In the meantime, Mamata on Monday called on Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to invite them for her swearing-in as chief minister on May 20. The Trinamool leader carried the sweet "sandesh" from Kolkata for both leaders.

She left for Kolkata after her last day as railway minister and will formally resign on May 19.

Mamata said the PM had offered the Centre's full cooperation to the new government. Mamata's first meeting was with Sonia who was "happy for the grand victory of the alliance" but is unlikely to be in Kolkata on Friday. The Congress president usually does not attend such functions.

Mamata said she had invited Congress to be part of the government in Bengal. Asked whether Congress had agreed, she said, "Congress will be part of the government. I have invited them and they will let me know."

She reiterated that the railway portfolio will be retained by her party and a minister of state would be elevated to cabinet rank. "I told him (PM) that railways is with Trinamool and the prime minister is a good man. There is no problem," she said.

Asked whether party general secretary Mukul Roy could be a possible replacement, she said, "He did not attend my meeting with Sonia. He was outside. He is here because we will have to give details of election expenditure to Election Commission."

About May 20 she said, "It is a Friday and a very auspicious day for all communities." Mamata took time off to launch a magazine for the railways and met officers and Railway Board members before leaving for Kolkata in the evening.

Sources also said the Congress has accepted Mamata's demand for a financial package for West Bengal, but the actual announcement may be made after the government formation has been completed.

Source: Now, Trinamool to persuade Ratan Tata to return to Bengal - The Times of India

3. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

^^

• I am confused. What was that hunger strike at Singur about?
    • Jyoti Basu to Mamata Banerjee, they are all politicans after all.
    • If Mamata can get the Tata Nano factory up and running at Singur and the chemical hub at Nandigram, I will applause her.
    • How will the Maoists react now?
    • Will CPI(M) try to oppose everything Mamata proposes just like Mamata opposed everything CPI(M) proposed, whether good or bad?