Now, Tamil students want Hindi

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Apollyon, Jun 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apollyon

Apollyon Führer Senior Member

Now, Tamil students want Hindi

Call it a generational shift or the compulsion of changing times, more students whose mother tongue is Tamil are now learning Hindi as their second language in schools in Coimbatore.

School teachers too feel that learning Hindi in addition to one’s mother tongue gives students an edge when it comes to relocating outside Tamil Nadu in later years.

Some parents like Tamilselvan Nachimuthu, a bank employee, are enrolling their children in private Hindi tuition centres. “If my daughter learns to speak Hindi, she would not have to be tongue-tied when I am transferred to a north Indian State,” says Nachimuthu whose father was a staunch supporter of the anti-Hindi movement.

“In our school we provide Hindi and Tamil as additional languages for students who do not have these languages as their mother tongue. Even though this was optional, we find that most Tamil students now opt to learn Hindi,” says a principal of a leading school in R S Puram. “We start teaching them alphabets from class III and slowly move on to grammar as the language is not spoken in their homes,” he adds. Teachers also give imposition to students in Hindi so that they pick up the language fast.

“Learning Hindi or any other language is a matter of choice and no one can be forced to learn or shun a language. Today, with students reaching out and making their mark at the national and international arenas, it is an important advantage to know the language.

However, if they willingly choose to turn away from it, that choice should also be respected,” says K Sathyanarayanan, principal of Mani Higher Secondary School.

Teachers also say that some parents are forcing their children to study Hindi as they feel it would help them be at home when they go for higher education in other States.

“We do have some students who are reluctant learners of the language. But we have also seen cases where a reluctant learner grasps the language fast and begins to hum Hindi melodies,” says a Hindi teacher of a school in Vada Kovai.

Interestingly, in a reverse trend, some Hindi-speaking students have started learning Tamil in schools. Champa, a class VI student of a school in R S Puram, who hails from Delhi, says she can read Tamil name boards.

“I took up to learning Tamil as an additional language from class III. Initially it was difficult, as we do not speak Tamil at home. But our teachers are patient and I am gradually picking up Tamil. Now I actually like it, when I learn new Tamil words,” she says.

http://newindianexpress.com/states/tamil_nadu/article544856.ece

Evil Hindi speaking Naaaaarth Indians are gonna take over warrior Tamils ......... :scared2::scared2::scared2::scared2::scared2::scared2:

Patriot and maomao like this.
  3. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

good example of integration, non-tamil speakers are learning tamil, and tamil speakers are learning hindi

Patriot likes this.
  4. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

We can then have Hindi as national language :troll:

5. warriorextreme

warriorextreme Senior Member Senior Member

It will be great for our nation if Hindi becomes our national language....South Indians in Mumbai already speak Hindi...

6. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

It is a welcome gesture from Tamils... the new generation should not be held captive of the past.There is much more interaction between south and north now which is very important.I got many friends who have gone to Banglore/Chennai and learning a bit of local language.

btw the Tamil song "Kolavari Di" was a hit nationwide and a lot of northies can sing it(at least few lines like me)

7. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

This is the dick headed attitude by people who don't even have the basic understanding of the "anti"-Hindi-imposition agitations that pisses off most people in non-hindi speaking states.

These are the basic things which almost everyone in TN says. If you want to learn Hindi, learn it..fine, that your personal choice...but just dont "force" anyone to learn it or dump it down their throats by calling it national language or whatever.

but then ignorant people like you who cant understand it, resort to second class humor [???] without understanding the issue.

Coming to the issue, how many schools in Delhi have their second language in one of the south Indian languages ?

Mad Indian and Nagraj like this.
  8. KS

This scheme [choice of either Hindi or Tamil as second language] of has always been in most city schools since two decades atleast...its not a new move..the agitations of 60s was not against Hindi in TN perse, but against forceful Hindi imposition as the national language which actually started with milestones in highways being painted only in Hindi...

But the problem is the stereotypical image of our people being Hindi-haters and not teaching Hindi to even interested students...and that is showing in this forum...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
    Mad Indian and Nagraj like this.
  9. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

A forum is a learning center if people have an open mind. A lot of people come in with prejudiced mind and a closed mind. That does not help. An open mind does.

Singh likes this.
  10. satish007

satish007 Senior Member Senior Member

ennaachhi,
    no idea why Tamil start to learn Hindi, Tamil spoke in many countries even in China. you guys should make Tamil your nation lanuage.

Mad Indian likes this.
  11. rock127

The stereotypical image is perhaps overhyped on both sides as far as I have experienced in school/college/work.

I have a stereotype image of a Southie as friendly and easy going.

The only thing which can tackle this divide is more interaction between south and north which is happening nowdays and remove the stereotype image.

A chauhan likes this.
  12. amitkriit

amitkriit Senior Member Senior Member

In Hindi belt students usually take Sanskrit as the second language if available. We must instead introduce more Indian languages in schools. Problem is the scarcity of teachers who can teach Tamil, Kannada etc in this part of the country.

Every Indian must learn three languages:
    a) Mother Tongue
    b) One of the official languages of India (not including English)
    c) English

parijataka likes this.
  13. KS

The problem is there is few or no open mind wallahs here..people come with a basic framework of thoughts and learn things that fit inside the frame and other stuff are mostly forgotten...

Nagraj and Singh like this.
  14. arkem8

arkem8 Regular Member

Most Indians can speak atleast three languages, sometimes more.

15. KS

Did you love and get married to a Tamil or your parents love married couples..I find your name and nationality irreconcilable...

That is Indians from non-HIndi speaking states.

16. Tolaha

Tolaha Senior Member Senior Member

Agree completely. I have often come across such people here! :troll:

17. KS

I know what you mean..even Caesar's wife is not above suspicion..:)

Tolaha and Mad Indian like this.
  18. rock127

Whats special if Tamil is spoken in so many countries including China? There are lot of Tamils worldwide and they keep their language/culture as well... just like Chinese.

Its other thing that even after many years Chinese cant speak/understand English properly while Tamils are much better in English :lol:

A chauhan likes this.
  19. Apollyon

what i say the fault is in you,
    and what parameters you concluded to arrive at the conclusion that there are "few or no open minded here"
    also by "wallahs" did you tried to point your comment towards North Indians (Hindi speaking population)

:pray:

20. KS

No dear..I specifically meant you and others who refuse to learn what prompted the anti-hindi imposition agitations of the 60s even though it has been written on this very forum by me, atleast a dozen times. You refuse to learn that the agitations were not against Hindi perse..but its forceful imposition supplanting the local language...do you know it started with milestones being painted all along the highways in TN in only Hindi ?

You people refuse to learn the facts and continue to harbor a stereotypical view of us...so the fault is not in me...but in you..gentleman.

Again I ask you....the scheme of Hindi/Tamil being optional second language has been in city schools for atleast two decades in TN..how many schools in Delhi teach any one of the south INdian languages in the school..? Leemme tell the answer too...close to Nil...

And you people have the gall in calling us "regionalist"..piss off people.

Mad Indian and devgupt like this.
  21. Apollyon

I didn't know i am a anti-Tamil/South Indian ... thanks for letting me know ... :rolleyes:
    and you'r rants above is a product of your imagination
    and for your info my school taught Telugu as a 2nd language beside Hindi and English
    and you seem to be inspired from that "Star Member"

:pray:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.