Now Katju Attacks Media for Dev Anand Coverage

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Vyom, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Vyom

Vyom Seeker Elite Member

Press Council Chairman Justice Markandey Katju, who has stirred a hornet's nest with his critical comments about the media, today attacked the prominence given to the coverage of actor Dev Anand's death.

Putting the news of an actor's death on the front page when farmers were committing suicide and there were more pressing social and economic issues to be addressed only showed a "lack of sense of priority", he said.

"I had also watched his films when I was young and also liked them," the former Supreme Court judge said disapproving the wide prominence given to the news of the actor's death.

Katju said that 2.5 lakh farmers had committed suicide in the last fifty years but barring some exceptions and journalists like P Sainath, who were doing commendable work, most of the media was simply ignoring these issues.

"The country is facing several socio economic problems, there is poverty, price rise and incidents like farmers' suicides. Isn't all that more important," Katju asked.

"Katju said that it was high time that the media woke up to its role and corrects itself," he said and added that people had expectations from the media.

news.outlookindia.com | Now Katju Attacks Media for Dev Anand Coverage

3. Vyom

Vyom Seeker Elite Member

I support his views!

4. Falcon

Falcon Regular Member

and I do not. Dev Anand won't die everyday. He was a legend and deserved to be on front page of every news paper and channel for 1 day at least. As per his view, front page of the news paper should contain the photo of all the farmers committing suicide every day. Imagine photos of 2.5 lakh farmers in past 50 years (18,250 days total) in all the news papers on the front page. These are socio-economic problems and needs to be handled at a different level. Rape, murder, poverty are all socio-economic issues and surely needs attention but we just cannot ignore other factors. Hope this man is not planning to join politics.

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  5. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

I agree with his sentiment.

He has to also sensationalize otherwise media wont report his views.

His rant is not targeted at dev anand but rather the whole circus around it like reporting if amitabh gets hospitalized or some actress gets pregnant. They are not as important as other problems faced by the country. I switch on the tv and only see entertainment channels and when i switch over to news channels then also they are showing entertainment. I dont think there is najam sethi type show in India which discuss geopolitics and such.