Now Aadhaar number to be accepted for passport applications

KS

Bye bye DFI
Now Aadhaar number to be accepted for passport applications

NEW DELHI: In a move that will make passport documentation less cumbersome, Aadhaar number will now be accepted as proof of address and identity. "The Ministry of External Affairs has decided and accordingly advised all Passport Issuing Authorities to accept Aadhaar letter as proof of address and photo identity in conjunction with any other prescribed documents for proof of address/identity for the purpose of passport application," an official statement has said.

At present, authorities accept passport applications based on about 14 documents such as voter ID card or electoral photo identity card (EPIC), ration card, PAN, driving licence, birth certificates among others. Aadhaar is a 12 digit individual identification number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India on behalf of the government. This number will serve as a proof of identity and address, anywhere in India.

Any individual, irrespective of age and gender, who is a resident in India and satisfies the verification process laid down by the UIDAI, can enrol for Aadhaar.
Just resident and not citizen ? ;)

KS

Bye bye DFI
India currently lacks the necessary infrastructure to discern citizens from illegal aliens. Some people are definitely going to get away with this, but hopefully starting the next generation it'll be possible to easily identify non citizens.
By then most of the residents would be having their passports.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
By then most of the residents would be having their passports.
Yes, many people are going to get away with this because there's simply no way to prove their true nationality. I hope this system works out well because the government of India HAS to have a way to identify each and every citizen.

KS

Bye bye DFI

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
15 illegal Bangladeshi migrants held, one with Aadhaar card - Hindustan Times

There needs to be some way to identify these illegal migrants. This is a huge national security issue that is constantly ignored.
Yes without a doubt, infiltration of non nationals is undoubtedly a huge security risk for India.

An amusing anecdote. This happened almost 8 years ago when I was in India for a visit. I needed some passport size photographs for some Indian visa related documentation and as usual I waited till the last day (literally hours before my flight) to do this. I eventually end up at some random photo place (in Mumbai). After the guy takes the pictures I wait in his lobby for the print outs. As I'm sitting there, in walks a cleric (or at least a guy dressed like one) with about 4 guys approximately aged 19 to 22 talking to each other in Bangla (which I know how to identify). They approach the photographer about passport pictures with a light green background. The photographer gets a quizzical look on his face and asks them which visa they intend to apply for. The cleric mentions the "gulf". The photographer then informs them that there is no gulf country that requires a light green background for the visa application and instead tells them the specific requirement for each country. The cleric and the men now looking a bit uneasy have another hush hush discussion in Bangla after which the cleric re confirms the green background. At this point both the photographer and I look at each other with WTF expressions; so I signal him to take the pictures anyways. As soon as he goes in the back to set up the camera all these people bolt and melt away into the maddening crowd making it impossible for me to catch up to them. I come back to the shop livid as $hit and tell the guy to call the cops since he was the only one to have gotten a good look at their faces (they mostly had their back toward me). He asked me if I could stick around while he made the call, I didn't have too much time but I agree. We look up the number and dial it and talk to some douche who says he'll send someone to take a statement. As soon as we're done I ask the photographer when we can expect the cops. He looks at me sheepishly and tells me... don't bother, nobody's coming. So then I tell him that he needs to go to the cops asap, he looks and me with a defeated look and tells me "I dare not approach the police, I'm a Muslim."

Last edited:

anoop_mig25

Country flag
slowly and steadily they are making Adharr compulsory, while it was told that it is not compulsory to have Adharr card

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles