Not willing to work on Good Friday, Justice Kurian Joseph writes to PM

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by sasi, Apr 4, 2015.

1. sasi

sasi Senior Member Senior Member

NEW DELHI: The controversy over Supreme Court Chief JusticeHL Dattu holding a conference on Good Fridayhas drawn the prime minister into its ambit, with Justice Kurian Josephtaking his complaint to Narendra Modi.Justice Joseph had written to Dattu earlier objecting to the Conference of Chief Justices of High Courts being scheduled on Friday and refused to attend it on the ground that his faith did not allow him to do so.
    Justice Joseph has followed this up with a letter to the PM, pointing out that no important programmes are held on holidays of religious significance, declining an invitation from Modi for a dinner on Saturday in honour of the visiting judges.
    "Irrespective of the religion, Diwali, Holi, Dussehra, Eid, Bakrid, Christmas, Easter, etc, are great days of festival celebrations in the neighbourhood," Joseph wrote to the PM in the April 1 letter, which ET has reviewed.
    "Your good self would kindly appreciate that no important programmes are held during sacred and auspicious days of Diwali, Dussehra, Holi, Eid, Bakrid, etc, though we have holidays during that period as well."
    The letter went on to draw Modi's attention to India's secularhistory, saying the country has historically been a "safe haven for those who were prosecuted abroad in the name of religion and communal disharmony", such as Jews and Zoroastrians.
    "The Zoroastrians who were discriminated and persecuted after the conquest of Iran immigrated to India," Justice Joseph said. "While the religion indigenous to the region collapsed, it flourished and grew here. In fact, India has the largest population of Zoroastrians the world over. The reason this could happen here is that the Indian Hindu rulers of those times not only accepted but protected them."
    "This history stands testimony to the respect and bonhomie that Indian citizens shared," Justice Joseph wrote to the PM, adding that this is key to the Constitution and the principle of secularism.
    "The Indian model of secularism is based on the principle of sarva dharma sambhava (equal respect for all religions)... In India, secularism is not a mere passive attitude of religious tolerance but a positive concept of equal treatment of all religions," he said. "The reason for writing this letter, your honour, is that of late the world is in the midst of sectarian and communal violence, and brothers are turning on one another in the name of religion. Even countries of Europe who claim to be the bastion of religious liberalism are entering a period of uncertainty."
    India needs to safeguard its credentials and be a model for other countries, he said. "I know it is too late to reschedule the events. But being the guardian of Indian secularism, I request your honour to kindly have in mind these concerns while scheduling events and benevolently show equal importance and respect to the sacred days of all religions which are also declared as national holidays. I have shared these concerns with the honourable Chief Justice of India as well," he said. Justice Joseph said he would be at his family home in Kerala.
    "Good Friday is a day of great religious significance to us, marking the crucifixion and death of Jesus Christ," he said. "I regret my inability to attend the event as the conference coincides with the Good Friday ceremonies."
    'Erosion of secular principles'
    Justice Joseph's letter to Chief Justice Dattu also cited concerns about the erosion of secular principles. "Please don't think that I am striking a communal note," he had said.
    "Only, since I see institutions like ours, which are otherwise bound to protect the secular ethos and project secular image as per mandate of Constitution, are slowly drifting away from the constitutional obligations, I thought of putting this concern in writing." Chief Justice Dattu's response to Justice Joseph said the institution had to be placed above the concerns of individuals.
    "The question I have to ask myself, perhaps I can't ask you, is whether it is institutional interest or individual interest that one should give preference to. As far as I am concerned I would give priority to former and not to the latter," the CJI told Justice Joseph, expressing shock over a "brother judge" questioning the decision.
    Earlier, in response to an urgent mention of the matter following an ET report about the conference being held on Good Friday, Chief Justice Dattu said the court's administrative functions had always been held on national holidays to avoid interrupting court work on weekdays.
    He cited the example of previous biennial conferences held on Independence Day and Valmiki Day to back his claim. The meeting concludes on Sunday after a formal meeting with state chief ministers at which the chief justices' demands, such as more funding and staff, are conveyed to the state governments.
    Prime Minister Modi is scheduled to attend the concluding session of the three-day conference on Sunday at Vigyan Bhavan.

http://t.co/s1xTxmJvdy

this morons in judiciary is worrying.

maomao likes this.
  3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Re: Not willing to work on Good Friday,Justice Kurian Joseph writes to

The attitude of the ex Justice KT Thomas is very rationale and correct.

His examples of the World Cup on Sunday, Christians in the Gulf adjusting to Friday for Sunday Church services, US not having Good Friday is a holiday and no Christian making an issue for politico religious posturing.

The statement of the ex Supreme Court Judge sums it up

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  4. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

Actually they are helping in bringing their own downfall. When I personally dislike any scheduling of official work on any of the closed religious holidays on any ground except emergency, this letter of justice kurien is purely politically motivated given the event was organised by justice Dattu but letter was adressed to PM Modi. Kurien could have easily have written a letter to Dattu explaining, but he had to write to Modi and which as usual found a way to media to highlight the lack of secular ideas of curent govt.

I dont know why the prominent christians are suddenly up in arms against the current regime. They are actually painting the whole of chrustian community in negative light in RWers and even more even minded hindus have started to take notice of scewed secularist view now. These people are committing their whole communuty in a direct confrontation line with hindutva even when most RWers barely took a notice of them before.

5. Ray

That is true why did Kurien write to Modi?

The schedule of the Supreme Court is set by the Supreme Court by the CJI.

Indeed, it was a political move by Kurien, maybe nudged by his Pastor to use his high office so as to keep the non issue a burning issue.

Sameet Pattnaik, archie and maomao like this.
  6. sasi

sasi Senior Member Senior Member

Anuj 'Gandhi' Gupta
    @ anujg 3h
    @centerofright"While serving as a high court judge, Justice Joseph preached Bible on Christian TV channel Shalom TV" - Secular?

https://mobile.twitter.com/anujg/status/584197233718898688?p=v

isn't it against judiciary rules?

maomao likes this.
  7. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

Foreign ideology + foreign funded media + government action against NGOs and corrupt media houses.

8. Khagesh

Khagesh Regular Member

Re: Not willing to work on Good Friday, Justice Kurian Joseph writes t

If Justice Kurian Joseph does not want to work on a Good Friday then he should avail his right of restricted holiday and do Bhagwat Bhajan at his home. Why waste the PM's time?

maomao and DingDong like this.
  9. Ray

This bloke Kurien seems to be a disciple of the unwashed and unshaven John Dayal.

Not complain about the horrid look John Dayal presents on TV, but then I believe the metrosexual has given way to metrocaveman in looking as if one has only an annual bath and a stubble all the time and never uses deodorant.

[​IMG]

maomao likes this.
  10. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Yes, these bigoted Christian leaders will soon realize the pit they have dug for themselves. This realization will sink in by 2019 or so.

maomao likes this.
  11. Bangalorean

CJI Dattu has replied to him, and informed him that there was a court meeting even in 2007 good Friday.

This judge is giving a double-whammy. He is insinuating religious intolerance, and addressing Modi when the meeting was called by SC actually. So, not only is he insinuating religious intolerance, he is insinuating that Modi controls the SC. There should be some disciplinary action against him, maybe even needs to be impeached.

archie and maomao like this.
  12. Ray

I don't think they are bigoted.

It is just that the Church has had a free run with whatever they wanted to do to include evangelism by US pastors, conversions, unlimited access of funds, assisting secessionists under the guise of 'freedom of speech' and all that like the case of the Naxal inciter Binayak Sen, who was then admitted as a member of Sonia Gandhi parallel govt that was on social populism. Remember, when this Binayak boy was arrested how the 'intellectuals' of the world united?

UPA and its Patron Saint of the Catholic community is no longer there to allow them to propagate.

Hence, now the Church feels threatened.

And hence they are mobilising in a different way with top guns like Julius Riberio and such religious goats as Kurien.

maomao and DingDong like this.
  13. ALBY

ALBY Elite Member Elite Member

Why the meeting was not held on days like holy,Eid,dussera ,NAVARATRIor any other day which is an important day of hindus,or muslims.
    What dou you the the reaction of public if it was held on days like Eid,Dussera,holy or any such day?
    I am pretty sure such a move is only religiouslyy motivated.

14. Bangalorean

Yeah, this is the persecution and victimhood complex that I was talking about.

So, lets get this clear. Are you accusing Chief Justice of India (CJI) Dattu to be a religious Hindu bigot?

Or are you accusing Supreme Court of being sold out to Modi (who is a religious bigot as per you people) and working under Modi's instructions?

Come on, tell me which of these is your view.

maomao, jackprince and Dovah like this.
  15. Bangalorean

Not to mention, there are hundreds of conferences, meetings, events and official tasks undertaken on Good Friday throughout the world, even in "Christian nations" like the US.

Not to mention that thousands of people are asked to work during Hindu holidays, in various industries and various parts of the country.

You know, if I were asked to work on Diwali, I would be angry, but not for religious reasons, but because I am losing a holiday. That's the difference between someone who keeps religion at the core of his life, and someone like me who is agnostic.

Modi's schedule on Hindu festivals:

[​IMG]

16. ghost

ghost Regular Member

Sir ,

You have to understand even though India is a secular country but majority are hindus and then muslim also make a large part of population so these things are kept in mind as per two.Not to demean other religion or to hold these two religion in a more higher ground but just because of the practicality,since these two religion form the majority numbers they form a very large numbers who would be directly affected by these celebration hence such consideration are given,if we start nitpicking and giving holidays on every occasion of every sect that is followed than one can only imagine the number of holidays.In US which is said to be a pinnacle of secularism does they give government holiday for janmastmi,diwali,holi,eed?

So this is not about religion but because of the number of people being directly affected by it,it's all because of practicality reason.

maomao likes this.
  17. Bangalorean

This bigoted judge needs to face disciplinary action, no less. Here is a sensible Christian ex-judge speaking out against this nonsense:

[tweet]584285610602582016[/tweet]

It is very clear that there are many Christians who hate this government (and Modi) so much, that they are willing to throw any kind of muck on even the nation - it has happened several times in the last few weeks. Anti-Modi hate is being extended to anti-India hate by many Christians who are being brainwashed by leaders of the community.

maomao and VIP like this.
  18. Ray

Here is what happened in the British (Christian) Raj and thereafter.

People often make jibes at the Indian legal fraternity for taking long summer breaks from court. While the rest of the adult world struggles to squeeze in a vacation, lawyers and judges — like schoolkids and students — are free for May or June.

Please note the majority of the litigants are Hindus or Muslim, who are way higher in percentage than Christians. If they are not available then why have a sitting in the Court?

But still, the Christian legacy of the British Raj continues - have a break for Christmas. Pray why when the British Raj has vanished?

Could you kind self go hammer and tongs at the Christian countries too?

This is what they do
    Get off your silly hobby horse and face reality.

I concede that the Church feels threatened, now that they are under the lens and are being curtailed in their freewheeling ways to to exactly what they want to do, unlike in the good times of the Patron Saint of Indian Christians, Sonia Gandhi.

maomao likes this.
  19. Ray

George Fernandez, a practicing Christian, spent his annual Christmas with troops in Siachen.

He did more for Jesus than the frauds out in India.

20. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    Ancient Indian likes this.
  21. roma

roma NRI in Europe Senior Member

i am christian , i do not hate modi nor bjp ...in fact i had though they were
    a welcome relief to 10 yrs of prior corruption
    and i will still hold to that view , unless ........

"institutional interest should be given preference to individual interest"
    end of quote

such a high -ranking officer doesn't know that it is a religious observance,
    not an "individual interest" ( as he mistakenly says )

it is in fact, the most important of all occasions for Christians.
    it is a religious holy day -. try doing the same to islam and see what you get !

alternatively why not merely excuse the judge and allow him
    to observe in private and go ahead
    with your meeting
    , .... go ahead and make your decisions

after all, officers at high levels in the administrative and judicial services of many nations
    often go on leave and decisions are made by their counterparts in their absence
    what is the big deal ?,

we have faith in the system to make decisions in our absence

why circulate letters of rebuke and make such an unnecessary controversy of it
    it could have been easily resolved without controversy !

unless they deliberately wanted it !

thanks for your understanding
    i think perhaps this case has undertones which are not
    openly apparent i.e. they may have something against him
    on other counts which are not religiously related
    and are using this as a way to get back at him

unfortunately they have overlooked the religious significance of the day

most Indian Christians do not have any problem with Hindu brothers
    the atrocities perpetrated on Christians are done by extreme miscreants and maladjusted persons

we don not blame the good Hindu people who are by far the majority

hope this case can be resolved without further controversy !

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    VIP, Bangalorean and sydsnyper like this.