Norway warns India of 'political implications' if Telenor fails

ice berg

The malpractice that is the way of doing business in India. Namely under table deals initiated by your own government officials.

There is risks in business. Obviously they coudlnt predict the 2G spectrum scam. As a global company I am surprised that they will fail because fraudulent documents. Maybe clean up your own house first before you blame others.

Telenor has no problem following the law in other countries concerning licenses.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
The malpractice that is the way of doing business in India. Namely under table deals initiated by your own government officials.

There is risks in business. Obviously they coudlnt predict the 2G spectrum scam. As a global company I am surprised that they will fail because fraudulent documents. Maybe clean up your own house first before you blame others.

Telenor has no problem following the law in other countries concerning licenses.
SC has cancelled their licence based on fraudulent practices. Go advocate their case somewhere else.

ice berg

I dont need to. Trond Giske is already doing his job.

I am merely suggesting that you should look at your own government instead of just blaming Telenor.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I dont need to. Trond Giske is already doing his job.

I am merely suggesting that you should look at your own government instead of just blaming Telenor.
Judicial matters are not concluded by Government.

ice berg

I am not talking about judical matters. I am talkning about the 2G spectrum.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I am not talking about judical matters. I am talkning about the 2G spectrum.
What 2g spectrum? They obtained spectrum by providing false documents & skipping other requirements while their partners were involved in criminal conspiracy. Their licence was cancelled & they were thrown out like many by Supreme Court. Now they want reduced prices. Why they should be treated specially ? Read the previous article before giving clueless replies.

ice berg

What 2g spectrum? They obtained spectrum by providing false documents & skipping other requirements while their partners were involved in criminal conspiracy. Their licence was cancelled & they were thrown out like many by Supreme Court. Now they want reduced prices. Why they should be treated specially ? Read the previous article before giving clueless replies.
2G spectrum scam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 2G spectrum scam involved officials in the government of India illegally undercharging mobile telephony companies for frequency allocation licenses, which they would use to create 2G subscriptions for cell phones.

In 2011, Time magazine listed the scam at number two on their "Top 10 Abuses of Power" list

Yah, read up before giving clueless replies. The problem dont lies with Telenor. But your business practices.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
2G spectrum scam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 2G spectrum scam involved officials in the government of India illegally undercharging mobile telephony companies for frequency allocation licenses, which they would use to create 2G subscriptions for cell phones.

In 2011, Time magazine listed the scam at number two on their "Top 10 Abuses of Power" list

Yah, read up before giving clueless replies. The problem dont lies with Telenor. But your business practices.
:facepalm:

We are discussing aftermath of the scam. You are late.

Tell me why your Telenor should be treated exclusively by lowering new spectrum prices?

ice berg

We are discussing about the aftermath of the scam.

I am not defending Telenor here. There are risks in business.

It is about the extent of corruption in India and how it presented itself on the world stage.

Telenor is just an exempel of the deep rooted-problem in India. So no, a tiny nation like Norway may not be sufficient to deal with it. But it is about the message it sends to foreign investors.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
We are discussing about the aftermath of the scam.

I am not defending Telenor here. There are risks in business.

It is about the extent of corruption in India and how it presented itself on the world stage.

Telenor is just an exempel of the deep rooted-problem in India. So no, a tiny nation like Norway may not be sufficient to deal with it. But it is about the message it sends to foreign investors.
Yeah there are risks in business. The risk Telenor took was by furnishing false documents & fooling its investors. Now its crying because money went down the drain.

They are not getting spectrum at lower prices, either with this government or any other. Revenue loss will be caught eventually, that was the lesson to Indian ministers. Democracies all around the world have their governance problems. Having said that, foreign investment in India has not slowed down.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
There are two possbilities.

1) Telenor knew everything and went ahead.
2) Its Indian partner lied to it and screwed it.
In any case Telenor should sue Unitech and try to prove their point rather than dragging their government in between. But if point 1 holds then they do not stand a chance and Telenor cannot shed off its responsibility of due diligence before investments.

But I think the recent judgements of both the govt. and SC will hamper investment in India. It happens only in banana republics where government comes in and confiscates private capital at will or under random rules. No one would like to invest in a nation, where rules change with the drop of a hat. Scams hurt not just the current exchequer but also the future investments.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles