Northeast students question 'racism' in India

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Known_Unknown, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Known_Unknown

Known_Unknown Devil's Advocate Stars and Ambassadors

Northeast students question 'racism' in India - Guwahati - Cities - The Times of India

GUWAHATI: With stars in their eyes hordes of students from India's northeast region head towards various parts of the country during admission season. However, previous episodes of unsavoury treatment meted out to northeastern people is what haunts most of them.

"Media is abuzz with episodes of attacks on Indians in Australia, but many of the incidents of attacks on India's northeastern people in India itself remain shrouded in oblivion. We condemn the attacks on Indians in Australia but we want an end to abuse and beating of northeastern boys and girls, mostly in India's capital city. All the cases are of racial nature," Madhu Chandra, spokesperson of North East Support Centre and Helpline, New Delhi said.

"As students from northeast India have already started coming to New Delhi, we are in touch with students' associations of all the states of the region in Delhi to help the newcomers to settle down in a new city," added Chandra.

The centre also runs a helpline service with phone numbers - 98681 84939, 98183 14146, 98681 57066, and 98105 54901 and e-mail address [email protected] .

The centre was formed on Sep 22, 2007 to address the issue of safety and security of northeastern people in Delhi, as they are often target of "racial attack", according to Chandra.

"Not only Australia, India too is racist," Gyati Talo, a 32-year-old teacher and blogger from Arunachal Pradesh, who did his graduation from a reputed college of New Delhi said.

"I was being chased and verbally abused by a bunch of youngsters in a Delhi lane. They abused me because of my short stature and mongoloid features. After the incident, I stopped coming out alone at night during my three-year stay in the city," Talo said.

According to the figures available with the centre, around 100 cases of physical and verbal abuse, molestation, rape and beating of boys and girls of the region were reported in Delhi in 2006 and 2007.

"However in 2008, we received only three episodes of attacks on people of northeast India in Delhi. But they were of heinous nature, pertaining to sexual assaults and beating of women," rued Chandra.

This year, till May, the centre had received 12 complaints of harassment, rape, physical and verbal abuse of northeastern people in Delhi.

"It's sad that students from northeast India who go to study in various parts of India have to undergo racial prejudice. My daughter also studied in New Delhi. I was surprised when she told me over phone during her stay in the city that her fellow students in the colleges calls her a 'chinky', because of her mongoloid features and she was depressed," said noted Assamese poet and columnist Samir Tanti.

"Calling someone 'chinky' (referring to small eyes) is racial in nature. I know all the northeastern are known as chinky in Delhi and other parts of India," the poet said.

According to an estimate, every year around 80,000-100,000 students from eight states of the region (Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Manipur, Mizoram, Meghalaya, Nagaland and Tripura) go to various places of India for higher studies.

Favourite study destinations for northeastern students are New Delhi, Bangalore, Pune, Chennai and Hyderabad.

"However, it is New Delhi from which cases of abuse and harassment are very common," said Chandra.
    Mahima Gogoi, a resident of Guwahati who scored 85 percent in Class 12 examinations in arts stream, wanted to take admission in one of Delhi's colleges.

"One of my cousins was severely abused in Delhi a few years back when he was a student. My parents do not want to send me to Delhi. Thus I have decided to study in Guwahati," said Gogoi.

However, Arunabh Bharadwaj, who scored 89 percent in his Class XII exams in arts stream, is unfettered.

"I am all set to study in Delhi. I am aware about all the incidents of abuse and harassment of students from northeast in Delhi. But it is my dream to study in Delhi and simultaneously taking coaching classes for Indian civil services (IAS) exams. So, I am taking the risk to fulfill my dreams," said Bharadwaj.

3. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

well how can indians be racists, and if that is the case then how will the “crusade” against the racist attacks in a racist australia be carried forward. at least someone took up this issue and thanks for posting that K_U, but where is the media which is so sensitive to racism against indians or are north easterns with “mongolian” looks considered any less indians, and why just limit this talk to people from north east, isnt the story same for the kashmiris all over the country or for all the indians in kashmir, or for the north indians down south or for people from bihar and up in maharastra and other states or non assamese in assam, and oh i just forgot, muslims being specifically targeted almost all over the country for they follow a certain faith, but then again, how can the indians be racists. interestingly all the mentioned examples are just the tip of the ice berg, but then we feel nice and happy and oh so proud of trying to set others house in order, but when it is our turn, well we just dont happen to be racists by any standards. this reminds me of a saying, when you point a finger at someone there are three pointing back, but then probably such saying are best suited as an example for others and how can we be a part of such an example for we are “dudh ka dhulava” people, talk about double standard society, …............................

4. Pintu

Pintu New Member

Kudos to our respected member Known Unknown for taking up such issue , which is a bitter truth and a fact in my opinion, at least issue taken up by somebody and thanks to Riteshji for speaking feeling that lies in my mind, Racism and Regionalism they are connected to each other here, as Union of India which guarantees her every citizen to work , live any where in this vast land some times this guarantee breached by her fellow citizens themselves , North Eastern students are harassed , abused racially I deeply regret and condemn that from my heart but what bleed my heart also slaughtering of Bengali Speaking People in 1980's same North Eastern state Assam where one of the relative of the victims reside and moreover what happens when Adivasis massacred there,when Bihari daily Labourers massacred there, yes we Bengali's bore that scar of 80's in our heart but openly criticising the racial hatred against our brother's from India , no I don't think he is or she is from a certain state in South India or from North Indian state of Punjab , never I visited there or neither visited Andhara Pradesh but have the feeling of Bondage , that bondage running through my blood , that is Indian and I view at the end of the day My brother or sister who laying in Blood and in bruise in a foreign country in a foreign place.

Regards

PS : This is my personal opinion , I apologies before hand if through my writing I hurt somebody unintentionally.

5. F-14

F-14 Global Defence Moderator Senior Member

the Problem in this case is that there is a deep revine of misunderstandings and a sanes of moral supirority that hangs in us for us the NE is a bunch of forest and ULFA this viwe has to change

6. vish

vish Regular Member

I wonder where the anti-racism crusaders are now and what they have to say... oh there they are... down under... being schmucks.

And to any north-easterners reading this... apologies guys... in case you in Bombay and need any help... drop a line. Oh and this goes for the others too...

7. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

I just love the way racism in australia is suddenly being equated with 'racism in India', and evidence? some random attacks in a metro, were arguably the crime rate is generally high. It is known to one and all that prejudice does exist in India. South Indians were targetted previously, North Indian are being targetted recently, North-east Indians are perhaps the worst suffering guys. There are several other prejudices in India. And all of them have to be condemned and we need to work for a better society. And thats the ongoing process.

But the eagerness of some guys to equate India with Australia in this regard is extremely misplaced and dare I say, Anti-Indian sentiment. Look at the number of cases of extreme violence perpetrated in australia against Indians, then the realisation will dawn that nothing in India is even close to such extreme amounts of violent racism on display. Anyway, some guys here seem to be too eager to expose India's wrong side and all this just to shut up Indians from talking against the white masters. All I can say, is good luck..........

8. vish

vish Regular Member

In reply to above:

Gee... equate? So what should I do? Refer to racism in India by a new word? What is really surprising is the silence in this thread... everybody was wanking a gazillion times (and almost every time needlessly and sensationally) in that Australia-is-racist-and-should-be-quarantined-with-the-help-of-ugly-Martians-thread...

Wonder why such difference in the frequency and the tone of the posts in the two threads, even though both are meant to address the same problem--racism?

And why should I not equate? Because it does not suit your rose-colored glasses?

I have mentioned it earlier and I'll do it again... racism exists in Australia, India, and every other ccountry.

And what I'm against is the manner in which we went wanking against the Land Down Under and have no qualms overlooking cobwebs in our attic... equate... yes I'm equating... cause in both cases, people are being discriminated against for no reason whatsoever. Do you really think cops in Mumbai "do their duty" and "help" Biharis and North-Easterners when they complain against racism?

Care to give me a better reason as to why I should not equate?

9. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

for GOD sake vish, didn't you know there is no racism in india, it is just some crime rate!

10. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

Firstly, whats with the hyper tone, cool down mate, if you want to believe that India is racist, go ahead. Heck, if you want to believe that Indians are disguised jihadi martians, go ahead. You are free to think whatever you want.
    I am only trying to point out the fallacy of your arguements. You said racism exists everywhere. Fine, I agree. But the degree of it differs, the expression of it differs.
    Why was South Africa called racist during apartheid regime? Why was it not brushed aside, becoz after all as you say racism exists everywhere? The difference is in the degree of it, the expression of it.
    Everyone holds personal prejudices but the society as a whole is expected to be mostly treat everyone equally. So, practically what ppl least expect is that violence is not directed at them for any prejudice. And if directed, they would be protected by the Govt, cops and other such institutions.
    I'll give you an example, I may personally believe that women should not go out to work, or they must wear a hijab when they do so......etc. That entire society doesnt become prejudiced becoz my personal thinking.. But if I throw acid on the face of a girl becoz she didnt wear hijab and cops dont do anything, media doesnt condemn it, society condones it, THEN the society become prejudiced. That my dear is the difference between our society and talibani society. Your equating India with Australia is similar to equating India with Taliban becoz of a random attack on pub-hopping women..........

Similarly, if there are some random incidents in India, US, Ghana or Kazakhastan of racism, that differs starkly from what is happening in Australia. Becoz the degree is much higher. There is violence involved in Australia. Show me a incident where any foreigner(or Indian from some region) has gone blind becoz of racial attack. Show me a incident where petrol bombs were hurled into their houses. Show me a incident where their car was highjacked and burnt before their eyes. Now, if you still cant get the point, then I wont waste my time with you. Perhaps, you have an agenda here of trying to dampen the fighting spirit of Indians against the racial attacks by trying to highlight the small and random incidents within India(and there is no proof that these attacks were racially motivated). Then fine, go ahead and have fun. Good Luck.

11. F-14

i agree most of the attacks in India (Read racial ) are Ploted by Half witted Morns like the MNS and spuned by ideaolgy like that of the Bhumiputra

12. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

I dont know if Indians completely understand what racism is. There are certain thing we take for granted in a non offensive manner. South Indians call the people from north as northies, North Indians call the South Indians Madrasis, Chinkies is commonly used but again its not used as a derogatory term by the user. I had NE friends in my college and they did not mind it.
    Similarly, if we take the Andrew Symonds incident of last year, we in India call donkey monkey to anyone here without having any racial connotation, but then its taken as otherwise elsewhere.
    That apart there is a lot of regionalism in India and that has been prevalent for a long time. Is regionalism=racism?

Also its not that any assault in India with regards to harassment of women happens targeting any particular race, its rampant all over the country and its in the news everyday.

The problem is that people here take things for granted and not yet alive to the fact that its racism. Why do the fairness cream manufacturer make so much money. Or why does the matrimonial column say required a fair looking bride? Its been going on for centuries.

Godless-Kafir likes this.
  13. F-14

yusuf sir not only Regionlism but also Sub regionalism like that of in kerala for eg: if Y is from the erstwhile Travancore Region he will not have such a bon hommie with a Guy from Cochin or for that fact from the malabar Region and vice versa

14. vish

vish Regular Member

Hyper-tone? You sit on a pseudo-moral-high-horse and lecture everybody on what the exact definition of racism is and who is racist, overtly-racist, covertly-racist, not-so-racist-but-racist, and not-racist-at-all… shouldn't you be horsing it down?

As is very much evident…

Correct and I’m saying the same thing. My only contention is who gets to decide that the degree of racism in Australia is higher than the degree of racism in India? Or that the degree of racism in Australia is high enough to label Australia racist?

Err… FYI… South Africa was officially and constitutionally racist. It was legal to be racist in South Africa.

Correct.

Correct.

Err… how? North-Easterners have been discriminated against in the whole of India, and yet we never see any reports stating the same. College students have been beaten by student gangs simply because they look Mongoloid. These have never been reported in the Indian media. Cops refused to arrest people involved in anti-migrant attacks or racist taunts in my city. And you are telling me that India is not prejudiced?

No, it’s the same.

Yup and there is no violence involved in India. And the Biharis are simply told to move back to Bihar after a 5-star buffet. And after giving free i-Pods to North-Easterners, they are given a lift to their native hippie hill in the North-East.

None that I can recall… but using your analogy, aren’t these very extreme cases of racist violence in Australia?

Ok answer these questions, will you?
    When did the Australian government declare Indians illegal? When did Australia implemented laws making racism official? Who decides that a majority of Australians are racist? Or that majority of Australia is racist? Who decides that India and Kazakhastan are not racist? Who decides that the degree of racism in Australia is higher than the degree of racism in India? Did anybody do a statistical analysis that Indians were being targeted only because they are Indians and not because they usually are alone and thus vulnerable or physically not that capable of fighting back? Did anybody prove this conclusively and decidedly? The only thing I hear is another-attack-on-a-defenseless-Indian-who-never-swats-a-fly… so are only Indians being attacked and there is no other crime in Australia?

I have an agenda? What do my posts have to do with the fighting spirit of Indians in Australia? Am I that important that the whole lot of them actually read my posts?

As far as racism in India goes, have you met/spoken to Africans and North Easterners in India? Asked Biharis how they felt when they are beaten with alarming regularity in many places in India for being migrants?

And you actually have the audacity to say that there is no proof that Biharis are beaten because they are Biharis? Or that North Easterners are being discriminated against because they look Mongoloid? Really?

Stray incidents you say… shows the Disneyland you live in chum.

For your benefit, I’ll restate my argument… Why was there an outpouring of angst in the racism-in-Australia thread and none of that anti-racist vent is visible in this thread? And how is talking about racism in India equating India with Australia? And even if it indeed is equating, how is it bad/good/whatever?

I agree… but shouldn’t a similar yardstick be used for Australia?

Yusuf, by racism, I imply any type of segregation, be it based on religion, region, looks, or anything else.

To everybody who is not johnee: I’m really sorry for having ranted so much and having gone off-topic. Nevertheless, I simply like this forum a bit too much and hate the fact that one of its threads became a mouthpiece for venting hatred against a particular nation. I also hate the fact that how something as prevalent in India as segregation based on race, region, religion, etc., is being brushed under the carpet.

But then, I guess thakur_ritesh is right… “for GOD sake vish, didn't you know there is no racism in india, it is just some crime rate!”

15. A.V.

A.V. New Member

To everybody who is not johnee: I’m really sorry for having ranted so much and having gone off-topic. Nevertheless, I simply like this forum a bit too much and hate the fact that one of its threads became a mouthpiece for venting hatred against a particular nation. I also hate the fact that how something as prevalent in India as segregation based on race, region, religion, etc., is being brushed under the carpet.

My friend nothing is brushed under the carpet in here all threads are kept open for discussions the team had nothing to do with the australia thread or this thread its up to the members where and how they want to post
    as you have rightly said you like this forum much and its really appreciated all members here are free to post their views as they like, there are no restrictions imposed except the simple forum rules.

i am replying only to let you know that we as a forum have no bias or hidden agenda like many other similar forums, we do not take sides and try to impress a particular point of view directed for or against an individual or Nation..

continue posting your views freely and in the strongest possible manner , happy posting and enjoy DFI

16. vish

vish Regular Member

InViNCiBlE:

Sorry for not being clear. I was in no way saying that the forum or the mods are brushing things under the carpet.

I was hinting at how this thread lacked the large number of posts as in the racism-in-Australia thread.

17. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

To be honest Vish, its far easier to criticise and name call others thano contemplate and acknowledge that we are in many ways similar if not worse.

18. Yusuf

Let me ask a question then. Isnt the Indian government as such racist as it enacts all kinds of reservation laws favoring particular communities/religions/caste etc??

19. vish

vish Regular Member

Singh:
    Bang on target. And shouldn't fellow forum-members overcome their hiccups and be vocal in stating their views on this topic? Or is that too much to ask?

I'm really sorry if I sound hostile… I have no such intent.

Yusuf:
    Technically, yes that is segregation. But is that not being done to "equalize" the different sections of the society by uplifting the lower ones? If yes, then I support it.

20. Yusuf

Like is said earlier, the educated class is waking up to the reality of racism now. But a large majority of Indians dont know what racism is. They take it for granted to call someone monkey donkey anything or do something that is racist. Only that we term it as racist and they think its something that has been happening for eons and is perfectly alright to do so for the vast majority of our country.

21. vish

vish Regular Member

Yusuf:
    True, and I guess/hope things will change gradually. But I still do not understand one thing... how is it that North East acquired such a perception? Can anybody shed a light on this?