North-East racial slur could get you jailed for five years

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by KS, Jun 4, 2012.

1. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

North-East racial slur could get you jailed for five years : North, News - India Today

I dont support this law.

3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I feel that it is a good step, but the punishment is a wee bit too harsh.

Kunal Biswas, maomao and Singh like this.
  4. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Good bloody move. Appreciate it.

5. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

Why only North Easterners ?

Every second Indian is racist to people outside his state...they are such widespread that we dont even recognize it...

mayfair, Zoravar, maomao and 2 others like this.
  6. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

I agree with Karthic, Every second Indian is racist irrespective of region, religion and ethnic.

maomao likes this.
  7. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

5 years is way too harsh.

8. Tolaha

Tolaha Senior Member Senior Member

Excellent move. Its time this BS is stopped! Only disclaimer being that the law does not get abused.

Its an existing law to prevent discrimination against SC and ST. Now, they have added abuse against North East folks under the ambit of this law, as most of them come under ST category.

9. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

-----i is far more damaging racist slur than any of those that others use for people of other states as pointed out. One is a racial overtone and the second an more dangerous one is that of alienating the entire north east because of this racist slur.

Calling someone a Northie or Madarasi is not a racial slur if that's what people are indicating.

That apart, yes Indians are racists and the figure is far more than one in two IMO.

Tolaha likes this.
  10. sukhish

sukhish Senior Member Senior Member

good move, it's high time we start behaving.

11. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

Agreed we need something but the Punishment is just not enforceable it is to harsh and stupid!

I dont know what weak minded moron made such a law.

12. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Excellent move. We need to stop being so insensitive about the North Easterners. One must also not forget that they do contribute a good percentage of their population in our military and paramilitary forces. They deserve better.

13. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

GK, let's say I disagree that the person who made this law is a moron. You have made your point, and thank you for that.

14. Tolaha

Tolaha Senior Member Senior Member

Be careful. You might get to meet that fellow personally when you end up being the first person to be put behind bars under this law, the next time you abuse someone from North East! :D

15. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Excellent move. However the punishment is harsh. We need to educate people on sensitivities, and this law fails in that front.

Having said that, racism that people from the rest of India face is a pity when compared to the racism, mental and physical agony NE people face in rest of India. I can see closet racists in this very thread, and this is the attitude of some trouble makers prevailing for decades, which now has brought this harsh law.

Tolaha, maomao and Dovah like this.
  16. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Not just armed forces. IAS, IPS, IT etcetera. The big boss of Bangalore now is an IPS cadre, hailing from Mizoram.

17. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

Racial insults are wrong but makeing a 5 year term will only fail the law, such a harsh punishment is not enforceable.

We need to make laws that are enforceable like 1 month or fine for 50,000Rs etc.,

Such very strict laws only OVER burden an already sagging law system.

Agni5 likes this.
  18. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Heh - this is good news. :heh: Though even I feel the term is a little high - its like having a 10,000 rupee fine for signal jump. Such a rule will simply encourage bribery. A few months jail and/or heavy fine would have been more realistic.

It will be fun when some of these Chikna chutiy@ dudes get caught up in this offence. The kind who use such words like ____ki, "Bhangi", "chamar", etc. as part of daily conversation. It will be fun watching them getting rammed in their backsides.

19. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I dislike racism or ethnic divisions.

20. Oracle

Oracle New Member

It's not about you or me, or them and they, and kind alike. There are many, but one poster specifically was racist many times towards NE people. Last I remember, his motive of racism was because a lady from NE snubbed his advances. That same poster then went into a tangent about the lady being a catholic, bringing in an idiotic and unnecessary religious angle. Typical idiot. Money maybe he owns, but not the character of this century.

21. ashdoc

ashdoc Senior Member Senior Member

there is no denying the racism faced by people of the northeast ,even though they are people from our own country.

they are called -----as and -----is and are routinely looked upon as
    ' different ' because of their ' mongoloid ' physical characteristics.

more importantly their women are considered easy prey for satisfying ones lust .

in the cities of like delhi where they come as students , -----i girls are always considered ' easy '.

the father of this discrimination is no less an august personality than the first prime minister of india , mr jawaharlal nehru , who ,ever since the naga rebellion always considered the ' mongoloid ' races as unworthy to be trusted even while he was mollycoddling the muslims who had split india apart.

the -----as are considered good material for waiters in chinese restaurants where their ' chinese ' appearance comes in handy to give the restaurant a authentic ' chinese ' feel.

in a strange paradox of fate ,they are joined in these restaurants as waiters by the tibetians who have fled chinese oppression-- only to find themselves looked upon as 'chinese ' by the ignorant common indian.

---ashdoc