Non tax-paying upper castes are equal to OBCs: Panel

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by EagleOne, Jul 23, 2010.

1. EagleOne

EagleOne Regular Member

NEW DELHI: A national commission has said that upper castes who do not pay income tax are akin to other backward castes (OBCs), a policy recommendation which can have far-reaching consequences.

The Commission for Economically Backward Classes, formed in response to the clamour for reservation benefits for the poor among upper castes, has equated them to OBCs. It has recommended that they be given special treatment in key sectors like education, housing, health and social sector.

Since preferential treatment in employment boils down to job reservations, it can be asssumed that the Commission's recommendation implies that if the government is to accept reservation for EBCs, there will be need for a constitutional amendment to get past the 50% ceiling on total quota.

The panel had been asked to suggest criteria for identifying EBCs, welfare measures and reservations for them, and to suggest constitutional and legal ways for their implementation.

The report of the Commission, chaired by SR Sinho and including Narendra Kumar as member and Mahendra Singh as member-secretary, may test the government at a time when it is facing quota conflicts.

The panel's recommendation that EBCs, which it has estimated at six crore, deserve state support on a par with the OBCs flies in the face of the post-independence policy that favoured only socially backward classes for affirmative action.

The EBCs would comprise upper castes from all religions.

The introduction of economic criteria to affirmative action may trigger a new debate if it is expanded to include reservation. The present quota regime is limited to SC/STs and OBCs which are communities facing social backwardness. The new move would lead to insertion of economic criteria in reservation policy. This is first move of its kind at the central level.

Sources said the commission has said that non-IT paying upper castes would qualify as EBCs. It has argued that while they are not socially disadvantaged like the untouchables, they are on a par with OBCs.

The panel has even given a rough estimate of the EBCs -- six crore. After visiting 28 states over four years, the Commission has stated that EBCs form 20% of the population which is roughly one crore families. At an average of six members per family, the figure stands at six crore.

Acceptance of the recommendation will mean a clutch of preferential treatment policies for the non-IT payees among upper castes. While in education, the EBC children will be eligible for soft loans for higher education, scholarships, coaching for IAS/PCS exams, they will also be eligible for subsidized health facilities. Government help in housing sector can be in the form of loans, soft loans with lower rates of interest.
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...e-equal-to-OBCs-Panel/articleshow/6203000.cms

3. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

How to identify people's CASTE? by their appearance, or emblems, or profession?

Do Indians have their 'Caste' shown on ID cards or registered in a similar way like China's Hukou (Resident Registry)?

Has such a 'quota regime' (implemented for decades) somehow 'reinforced' individual or the public's Caste identity/awareness for generation and generation going forward, against the prime motive to set up such a regime?

4. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Whats the color of your blood? Is it different from others? Off course not. We cannot tell from the face a caste of a person. May be the region but not caste. How to identify high or low? Its a centuries old thing. People know who is from high or low caste in their area.

Certificates are issued to the people of backward classes. And forward class people happily "arrange" to get these certificate so that they can get the benefits of being lower caste.

5. Welcome

Welcome Regular Member

i think their should be reservation for only poor class not for OBC or general.....

6. amoy

In a society of high mobility/fluidity, people mingle quickly and change their 'identity' or 'profession' 'easily'. I may be registered on Hukou as ABC, entitled to XXX benefits (education, subsidy, even bank mortage interest rate...). But soon enough, all the info gets outdated.

How can the Caste be carried down on and on and continue to be identifiable, as people are supposed to flow, mix and change unless being kept isolated or static? what about descendants of a certain Caste? are they able to take on a new identification?

7. Yusuf

Welcome to the complex systems of India.

8. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

in future
    reservations in india
    50% comparsing of SC , ST , OBC`s
    25% EBC`s+poor belonging to upper class
    25% religious miniority

if anything left ===> meritorious student belonging to OPEN category

GOI responses to one of the question asked by a media person

Q: what about hardworking students belonging to open category
    GOI: plz read the documents carefully , we have provided benefits to them as well
    beside this people never support us, never gives vote to us,never attend our rally,and one pretext runs to western country to avail job facilities
    why waste money on this kind of people

9. amoy

reservations in india
    25% religious miniority

++++++++++++++++++
    similarly in China, if u're a ethnic minority, or a overseas repatriate (incl their 'direct' dependents), or from 'frontier' poor provinces, or... u may deserve a quota/reservation or a score plus (+10, or +20 varying) in college admission.

so some try to 'amend' their Hukou...

10. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

in future
    reservations in india
    25% religious miniority

if anything left ===> meritorious student belonging to OPEN category

GOI responses to one of the question asked by a media person

Q: what about hardworking students belonging to open category
    GOI: plz read the documents carefully , we have provided benefits to them as well
    beside this people never support us, never gives vote to us,never attend our rally,and one pretext runs to western country to avail job facilities
    why waste money on this kind of people

11. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

This is a breakthrough. Great job! Reservations for poor upper-caste people is just as essential as reserving lower-caste people. Next step should be removing reservations for the well-to-do (tax-paying) lower-casts.

Caste Certificate issued by the government. Any reserved caste that wants to redeem its reservations will use the caste certificate.

12. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

BTW, I had this doubt. Uptil College, I didnt know I was OBC, thats when I came to Know, all Muslims are OBCs. And I Studied in the University of Kerala, wherein, If I Wanted I need not Pay any Fees and I would get an Yearly amount of 10000 Rupees or so. I never applied for it, but I know a few people who applied for it, and one of them was a CISF Commandants Son.

So, I have one lingering doubt as someone I know told me recently, not all Muslims are considered OBCs, Is it True? God Speed

13. Yusuf

Not all muslims are OBC.. I am not for sure. If i go for a certificate they will throw me out. But i do know of certain people who got the certificate by obvious means and made themselves OBCs.
    Bohras are considered in the forward class i thnk. Ancestors of current day bohras were Brahmins.

14. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

I first remember Marking Myself as OBC in some kind of College Form, and a Friend of Mine told me to do so. I dont have any certificate or anything proving I am OBC, but I had to Mark my Religion and then OBC.

I think, the BPL Certificate or something can be arranged easily. There needs to be some other way of doling out these stuff

15. Yusuf

there has to be a scrapping of all this non sense.

16. ajtr

ajtr Veteran Member Veteran Member

^^ As far as OBCs are concerned i think different states have different criteria.for example thakurs in one state can be on OBC/BC list in other state they are counted as forward cast.Same with yadavs of UP and bihar.

17. SHAILENDRA

SHAILENDRA New Member

It is a good move. we hear many time the nw=ews of suicide ,sometime of the whole family in one blow. Reason is not social, but financial. lets think about those who are in need but due to govt policies ,suffering.