No Surrender Obama was ready to rain hell on Pakistan during bin Laden

Novice

No surrender: Obama was ready to 'rain hell' on Pakistan during bin Laden raid

ByChidanand Rajghatta, TNN | Feb 13, 2013, 12.06 AM IST

WASHINGTON: US President Barack Obama vetoed the idea of a Seal 6 team tasked with killing Osama bin Laden surrendering if surrounded by Pakistani troops. Instead, he planned to "rain hell" on the Pakistani military in such an eventuality, stirring new insights into the Abbottabad invasion that nailed the world's No.1 terrorist has revealed.

An exhaustive account of the Abbottabad raid in Esquire magazine by Phil Bronstein, former Editor of the San Francisco Chronicle, provides granular details of the foray based on interviews with the Seal 6 commando who shot bin Laden dead, identifying him merely as the "shooter." Discussions during the planning stages looked at what would happen if they were surrounded by Pakistani troops. The original plan was to surrender and have Vice-President Joe Biden fly to Islamabad and negotiate their release.

But President Obama called it differently. "This is hearsay, but I understand Obama said, Hell no. My guys are not surrendering. What do we need to rain hell on the Pakistani military?" Bronstein paraphrases the shooter as saying. The commando also makes known his admiration for the President: That was the one time in my life I was thinking, I am f**king voting for this guy. I had a picture of him lying in bed at night, thinking, You're not f***king with my guys. Like, he's thinking about us.

The Seal6 team later gets word that the US would be scrambling jets on the border to back up the raiding party. The Shooter talks of writing tear-stained letters to his children to be delivered in case of their death because the chances of returning alive were not initially rated very high. "It was either death or a Pakistani prison, where we'd be raped for the rest of our lives," he says.

The actual confrontation itself resulting in his nailing bin Laden dead lasts only a few seconds, as the Shooter encounters him on the third floor of the Abbottabad mansion. "He had his hands on a woman's shoulders, pushing her ahead, not exactly toward me but by me, in the direction of the hallway commotion. It was his youngest wife, Amal...the SEALs had nightscopes, but it was coal-black for bin Laden and the other residents. He can hear but he can't see...He looked confused. And way taller than I was expecting...He was holding her in front of him. Maybe as a shield, I don't know,' the Seal 6 shooter recalls.

Further: "He's got a gun on a shelf right there, the short AK he's famous for. And he's moving forward. I don't know if she's got a vest and she's being pushed to martyr them both. He's got a gun within reach. He's a threat. I need to get a head shot so he won't have a chance to clack himself off [blow himself up]. In that second, I shot him, two times in the forehead. Bap! Bap! The second time as he's going down. He crumpled onto the floor in front of his bed and I hit him again, Bap! same place."

The raid is not without its moment of humor and pathos. The Shooter describes how going into the raid he had a full bladder and had to relieve himself into a bottle. "I forgot until later that when I shot bin Laden in the face, I had a bottle of piss in my pocket," he recounts. He also talks of listening later to phone calls between al-Qaida operatives trying to figure out who ratted on bin Laden. He quotes "funny terrorists" as saying, "I heard he did it to himself. He was locked up in that house with three wives."

Source: No surrender: Obama was ready to 'rain hell' on Pakistan during bin Laden raid - The Times of India

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Re: No Surrender Obama was ready to rain hell on Pakistan during bin L

I think that US had played it really smart as they had access to their equipment sold or given to Pakistan. Since Uncle had about 6-9 months to plan this they have bugged very possible system be it radar, fighters or any other system to make it disable on movements notice. That is why PAF was unable to find those intrusions into their airspace.

We have to remember that US does inspection of their equipment as per their sale agreement that leave room for installing of GPS and remote trigger devices in their fighters and remote triggers in their radars.

Novice

Possibly used Suter? They already know how their Radars operate. Would have been lot easier to rig ?

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned

toi is now officially regarded as toilet news agency even by Indians

Novice

As apparent from the original article, this news story is based on interview of Seal6 team. Who did the interview and how twisted the words got should have been challenged when it first appeared. Since I don't see any foul play called out on there, i would give equal credibility to TOI news. Also as pointed out by Saya, there have been multiple inferences and news articles drawn based on this source and it cannot simply be refuted as gimmick. Besides if Ms. Clinton can say that in public, how much would that hurt in a closed room full of top brass loyalists?

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag

I would have been happy if something like this had happened. The pakistanis would have been annihilated completely by now.......

Think farhan was so optimistic that America would not attack pakistan in any situation. Where is farhan?

I want him to read this and reply........

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

"This is hearsay, but I understand Obama said, Hell no. My guys are not surrendering. What do we need to rain hell on the Pakistani military?" Bronstein paraphrases the shooter as saying.
The author of the TOI article paraphrases hearsay?

What kind of reporting is that?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles