No sign of help for Philippines from China's hospital ship

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
While the navies of the United States and its allies rushed to the aid of the typhoon-hit Philippines, a state-of-the-art Chinese hospital ship has stayed at home and in doing so has become a symbol of China's tepid response to the crisis.

The decision not to deploy the 14,000-tonne "Peace Ark", one of the newest and biggest hospital ships in the world, is one that contrasts with a recent charm offensive across Southeast Asia by China as it seeks to bolster ties and ease tension over the disputed South China Sea.
No sign of help for Philippines from China's hospital ship

bose

Country flag
The true face of China behind the alleged "charm offensive."

I await the sorry excuses and distractions from Chinese on DFI.
You will find that the Chinese are at overdrive to justify their country's dismal response to human tragedy what is more depressing is some of the comments from them in international forum's"¦ as one particular of them has suggested a raise in the salary for Philippines maids working overseas specially in Taiwan"¦ simply put its disgusting and showed the true face of Chinese to the world"¦

A country with such backward looking thought process is dream of becoming a super power"¦

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I am sure the Peace Ark of China is 'building up steam' before setting sail.

Or maybe the ship's company are on leave and are being recalled.

I don't understand why they should carry their pique so far.

This action would not go down well with even Nations who are their well wishers.

A great diplomatic boo boo.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Crew members of the Chinese Naval hospital ship, the Peace Ark wave goodbye as the vessel leaves the Kenyan port city of Mombasa for Tanzania on October 18, 2010

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
You will find that the Chinese are at overdrive to justify their country's dismal response to human tragedy what is more depressing is some of the comments from them in international forum's"¦ as one particular of them has suggested a raise in the salary for Philippines maids working overseas specially in Taiwan"¦ simply put its disgusting and showed the true face of Chinese to the world"¦

A country with such backward looking thought process is dream of becoming a super power"¦
Yes, they are always on the defensive or outright go on the offence if anything not positive or appear to be positive is stated about China.

I wonder what they will say about this.

What a mess they are landing themselves in.

All that show about having a Hospital Ship like the HOPE, bringing succour to the needy especially to the Third World is now looking quite bogus.

Many will believe that their Hospital Ship Peace Ark was basically for show and not for any real work!

bose

Country flag
Yes, they are always on the defensive or outright go on the offence if anything not positive or appear to be positive is stated about China.

I wonder what they will say about this.

What a mess they are landing themselves in.

All that show about having a Hospital Ship like the HOPE, bringing succour to the needy especially to the Third World is now looking quite bogus.

Many will believe that their Hospital Ship Peace Ark was basically for show and not for any real work!
The so called hospital ship is meant for image building rather than bringing much help for the needy"¦ is always in for a well orchestra'd drill and smiles all around and then found them wanting when it was needed the most"¦

I remembered some years back during the Kashmir earthquake the Pakistanis were allowed to take medical supplies through the Indian territory"¦ at least during human tragedy one must forget the political difference or whatever"¦ all is lost if one loses the cause to be humane"¦

China lost a big opportunity to bridge the political difference with its neighbors as a responsible country, they will realize it "¦

amoy

here comes my humble excuses -

- now Americans and Japanese hv already put up a peagantry, incl. USS George Washington to the rescue. hence unworthy of Chinese Arc, to steal big brothers' thunder.

- did the disaster smitten PHL invite (diplomatically) Chinese navy for such an aid? under no circumstances shall anyone disrespect the host a dignified sovereign state! a precedent of Myanmar rejecting unsolicited "relief".

- Charity starts from Home. as a developing country of 1.4bln mouths to feed, China has to make do with what's affordable, not to be enticed into "punching" abv her weight.

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

- now Americans and Japanese hv already put up a peagantry, incl. USS George Washington to the rescue. hence unworthy of Chinese Arc, to steal big brothers' thunder.

- did the disaster smitten PHL invite (diplomatically) Chinese navy for such an aid? under no circumstances shall anyone disrespect the host a dignified sovereign state! a precedent of Myanmar rejecting unsolicited "relief".

- Charity starts from Home. as a developing country of 1.4bln mouths to feed, China has to make do with what's affordable, not to be enticed into "punching" abv her weight.

Thanks for coming in with some explanation.

I think all help so far received is unsolicited,

If the Philippines, has spurned the Peace Ark after it set sail, then Philippines would have looked churlish, something which she would not think of doing, given the vast disaster Philippines has been struck with, and it would have made her lose all sympathy that she has had over the Chinese Philippine dispute.

It would have been a win win for China and would have put China in a different light in the Asia Pacific Rim, which currently is not in favour of China.

But then, it could be that China is being cautious and is waiting for a request worrying that if Philippines rejected the ship, China would lose face. Though I feel it is Philippines who would have lost out, if she rejected the Peace Ark moving in!

I however do not buy the contention that China is a poor country feeding its millions and can hardly act magnanimous since if the second largest economy feels so, then all the others who are giving assistance will keel over!

Last edited:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
This is exactly the point I raised before...

As per BBC, there are 12,000 pregnant women scheduled to give delivery this week alone, but the hospitals have been rendered non-functional. Dehydration and malnutrition is fast setting in among the kids and infants. WHO announced very high probability of jaundice and diarrhea epidemic.

I am also surprised at China. Apart from throwing peanuts in garb of aid, it seems that their "Peace Ark" hospital ship is only meant for buying diplomatic influence, not for actual emergency relief.

amoy

help might hv bn unsolicited. however delivery of help onto PHL territory has to b PERMITTED. otherwise that is an imfringement of her sovereignty.

rather than speculation on PHL's true attitude towards PLAN's offer respect of her sovereignty shall never be discounted. better cautious than sorry by dispatching headlong the Arc.

the 2nd largest enonomy is dirt poor in per capita terms. a realisic self assessment is of paramount importance. a long way to go bfore China is able to match American and Indian generosity in humanitarian efforts.

Last edited:

acetophenol

Country flag
what right do we have to blame'em when we ourselves have done so little?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
No.

Just trying to make our Chinese posters realise that not all in India are critical about what China is doing or will do or won't do.

acetophenol

Country flag
No.

Just trying to make our Chinese posters realise that not all in India are critical about what China is doing or will do or won't do.
Anyway, I am disappointed in the slow and little responses from India,and other asian nations.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

Well, I asked for this. Not bad.

amoy

No.

like I said "Charity starts with Home". glad there're Indians who dont hv the blame-others syndrome.

Global Defence

Articles