No more good morning from now on, its Jai Hind for Indian Army

ninja85

So, Good Morning is British colonial repression?

Then why are we writing in English?

Let us convert to regional languages (many would refuse Hindi as a link language), wear dhotis and kurtas and instead of rifle use ancient weapons or go backwards more into history, use stones!

That would be wresting ourselves of all foreign influences.

But, the question still is - what is the original culture?

Maybe being ape men?!

One must be practical, contemporary and sensible.

Secular?

What stops old Bikram to disband his own Regt - Sikh LI and make it a secular Regt with all and sundry.

After all, charity begins at home!

What ho?
don't stretch it , the point is not against english ,

if good morning is western then it is western not indian, it is like universal truth ,

and teach this lessons of secularism to americans and british, saudi , pakibeggars don't always rant it only to indian ,

tell them to do namaste instead of good morning and then see what reaction you get

this what is the point behind all this ,

colonial mind set of people like you

if you are indian but still criticizing and talking against your own culture

rvjpheonix

Country flag

if good morning is western then it is western not indian, it is like universal truth ,

and teach this lessons of secularism to americans and british, saudi , pakibeggars don't always rant it only to indian ,

tell them to do namaste instead of good morning and then see what reaction you get

Dear armchair General, you are talking to someone who has served in the army unlike you.And someone who has done that knows better about the traditions of the army and what is colonial. As a matter of fact most of your Indian ways have been borrowed from somewhere else along the course of history. You keep what is good and throw what is bad, not discard everything calling it western.How old are you by the way?

Blackwater

Discriminatory remarks against Sikh general in the thread:shocked::shocked:

he has just said JAI Hind not Jai Khalistan:sad::sad:

prateikf

Country flag

Many thanks to Kunal for his very informative post. But could anyone tell what sort of a salute is the defence minister giving? It looks like a combination of all the 3 salutes or perhaps it some sort of a salute from his native Kerala.

Defenceindia2010

Country flag

Many thanks to Kunal for his very informative post. But could anyone tell what sort of a salute is the defence minister giving? It looks like a combination of all the 3 salutes or perhaps it some sort of a salute from his native Kerala.
I suppose it is the ''TRI-SERVICE'' Salute :rofl:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

I am not stretching any point.

If I am, then do let me know how, rather than shield your contention in generalities.

If Good Morning is western, Jai Hind is no way means Good Morning in any Indian language.

It would possible be शुभ प्रभातम् (shubha prabhātam). I checked the same and it says so.

Have a nice day would be सुदिनमस्तु (sudinamastu ).

I am not ranting. I am merely addressing the ignoramuses who selectively differentiate between 'western' and 'Indian', as per their convenience.

Tell me, saying Good Morning is colonial? And wearing western dress is Indian? Or speaking English or eating McDobnalds is real ancient Indian? I could go on with example of how you conveniently embrace all these western things as not colonial or alien and yet find the universal "Good Morning" as offensive to the Vedic and Indic civilisation!!

Who says Namaste would cause a riot in the Army? Soldiers when they meet ladies, don't say 'Jai Hind', they say 'Namate'.

I don't have a colonial mindset.

It is just that I don't suffer from an acute, paranoiac cultural insecurity.

I am proud to be an Indian and proud not to act like a juvenile with a high degree of insecurity as to national identity.

What is wrong if troops say 'Sat Sri Akal' or "Ram Ram' in units of their composition? That is not being secular, right?

So, why don't you, as a great Indian who has no colonial afflictions write to Bickram Singh and ask him to disband the religion oriented and community oriented Regiments like the Sikh, Sikh LI, Rajput, RajRif etc?

if you do so and make him do so, I will agree that yo put your money where you mouth is. Failing which I would feel it is pseudo cultural and national fervour, aimed merely to impress.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I didnt know Army, Navy and AF have different kind of salutes till now !

Why is that so ? Any specific reason for that ?

According to some modern military manuals, the modern western salute originated in the Middle Ages when knights who greeted each other raised their visors to show their faces, using a motion that resulted in what looks like a modern salute. There is however no historical basis for this tradition.

The naval salute, with the palm downwards is said to have evolved because the palms of naval ratings, particularly deckhands, were often dirty through working with lines and was deemed insulting to present a dirty palm to an officer; thus the palm was turned downwards. Alternatively, this may have been the natural position of the hand when seizing the brim of a hat. During the Napoleonic Wars, British crews saluted officers by touching a clenched fist to the brow as though grasping a hat-brim between fingers and thumb.

The defence Minister's salute is a civilian salute and he is doing better than many I would say.

Here is another civilian salute

Very colonial.

They could just do a Namaste, as per Indian culture, but they don't.

Why?

Last edited:

pkroyal

Why Jai Hind?
Why not Jai Bharat, Jai India, Jai Aryavrat, Jai Sindhu Desh ( land between river Indus), Jai Jambudweep ( incidentally this is the description of our land in Agni puran)

Good morning is just a way of greeting.

Some more Regimental greetings which are used more than so called colonial greetings are:-

Ram Ram ,
Jai mata ki,
Tagra Raho,
Sat Sri Akaal, etc

pkroyal

According to some modern military manuals, the modern western salute originated in the Middle Ages when knights who greeted each other raised their visors to show their faces, using a motion that resulted in what looks like a modern salute. There is however no historical basis for this tradition.

The naval salute, with the palm downwards is said to have evolved because the palms of naval ratings, particularly deckhands, were often dirty through working with lines and was deemed insulting to present a dirty palm to an officer; thus the palm was turned downwards. Alternatively, this may have been the natural position of the hand when seizing the brim of a hat. During the Napoleonic Wars, British crews saluted officers by touching a clenched fist to the brow as though grasping a hat-brim between fingers and thumb.

The defence Minister's salute is a civilian salute and he is doing better than many I would say.

Here is another civilian salute

Very colonial.

They could just do a Namaste, as per Indian culture, but they don't.

Why?
Since our politicians do a flip flop on all major issues they develop a floppy wrist syndrome:cool2: some thing akin to a " tennis elbow" of the wrist. They give the 'dead fish' limp hand shake and that weird salute which the bell hops in hotels give you.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@pkroyal

You do have a very acute sense o humour and a very fertile, but apt, imagination!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Corrupt dont have religious believes when doing bad, Just because some one dress like a Sikh does not always meant he a Sikh from Inside ..

Khalistanins were bunch of Pakistani backed terrorist in Sikh outfit, Ideology of Khalistani is engineering of Pakistan ISI itself ..

If you are in delusion of such a term to be indigenous, Get rid of it ..

Discriminatory remarks against Sikh general in the thread:shocked::shocked:

he has just said JAI Hind not Jai Khalistan:sad::sad:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Indian National Army : Jai Hind ..

Why Jai Hind?
Why not Jai Bharat, Jai India, Jai Aryavrat, Jai Sindhu Desh ( land between river Indus), Jai Jambudweep ( incidentally this is the description of our land in Agni puran)

pkroyal

@pkroyal

You do have a very acute sense o humour and a very fertile, but apt, imagination!
Thanks Sir, I try to do best under the prevailing circumstance ( many hate it, that is my fuel to prick & deflate more full of air pompous balloons)
Your discerning this is a rarity, as " mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but genius instantly recognizes talent, even if it is hidden"

Thanks once again @ Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ray

Blackwater

Corrupt dont have religious believes when doing bad, Just because some one dress like a Sikh does not always meant he a Sikh from Inside ..

Khalistanins were bunch of Pakistani backed terrorist in Sikh outfit, Ideology of Khalistani is engineering of Pakistan ISI itself ..

If you are in delusion of such a term to be indigenous, Get rid of it ..
if u think biku is corrupt than go to court against his appointment as IA chief.

till than i will consider discriminatory remarks by members for sitting IA chief

khalistan remarks were sarcastic

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
if u think biku is corrupt than go to court against his appointment as IA chief.

till than i will consider discriminatory remarks by members for sitting IA chief

Who is saying Bika is corrupt?

His idea is corrupt as per the English usage. ( dishonest, dishonourable, unscrupulous, unprincipled, amoral, untrustworthy, underhand, deceitful, double-dealing, disreputable, discreditable, shameful, scandalous; ; chose the one that suits you).

What's all this crap about 'secularlism' by saying Jai Hind instead of Good Morning?

How that does increase the warlike attitude or even the nationalistic attitude?

HInd anyway is not Hindi as such and instead is Hindustani, which has been done away with in the Army long back, even before Bika thought of joining the Army!

Secular would be if all the Regiments of the Indian Army were made into al Indian composition rather than stick to the colonial structure of Regiments based on

1. Class
2. Community.
3. Religion.

Now, would you tell Bika to do so and show how secular he is?

If he tried it, he would be declared a Tankhaiya by his own Regiment and hounded out!

He is merely being cosmetic like JJ.

The rank and file of the IA have no time for cosmetic stuff. They all want action like making up the deficiencies and modernisation, and on both front, the military is failing!

Sikh anyone can be.

But to be a Khalsa is another issue. ;)

Of late, politics and pandering to the political ethos has become the staple of the Brass and not the real issues that plague the Army.

Last edited:

Blackwater

Who is saying Bika is corrupt?

His idea is corrupt as per the English usage. ( dishonest, dishonourable, unscrupulous, unprincipled, amoral, untrustworthy, underhand, deceitful, double-dealing, disreputable, discreditable, shameful, scandalous; ; chose the one that suits you).

What's all this crap about 'secularlism' by saying Jai Hind instead of Good Morning?

How that does increase the warlike attitude or even the nationalistic attitude?

HInd anyway is not Hindi as such and instead is Hindustani, which has been done away with in the Army long back, even before Bika thought of joining the Army!

Secular would be if all the Regiments of the Indian Army were made into al Indian composition rather than stick to the colonial structure of Regiments based on

1. Class
2. Community.
3. Religion.

Now, would you tell Bika to do so and show how secular he is?

If he tried it, he would be declared a Tankhaiya by his own Regiment and hounded out!

He is merely being cosmetic like JJ.

The rank and file of the IA have no time for cosmetic stuff. They all want action like making up the deficiencies and modernisation, and on both front, the military is failing!

Sikh anyone can be.

But to be a Khalsa is another issue. ;)

is it becoz of army chief or due to sarkari babus and their tender pe tender

even khalsa is not an issue its just khalistan which is khali(empty) as the name suggest

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Like our Gov is corrupt and does not need to prove by going to court same for biku ji and his predecessor like Mr deepak kapoor ..

Care it or not wont make difference in thinking of Majority of Army ..

Khalisthan was and still terrorist term, Regardless how one use it, Its still sound distasteful ..

kseeker

Retired
Somewhat OT however, All our Armed services should disown western Salutes and adopt a uniform and indigenous Salute.

Perhaps the one shown below

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
is it becoz of army chief or due to sarkari babus and their tender pe tender

even khalsa is not an issue its just khalistan which is khali(empty) as the name suggest

Babus and Minister are sure a hinderane.

But loving the chair and not standing up for his men and his organisation does not behove that he cares of issues beyond political niceties and cosmetic coveralls.

I was merely alluding to the difference between Sikh and a Khalsa.

There is a lot of difference.

One can be a Manmukh (A person who is self-centered and only thinks about himself and the material world around him and is totally oblivious to God.) , then becomes a Sikh (Anyone who sets out on the path of learning and meets the specific definition of a Sikh as appears in the Rehat Maryada (Official Code of Conduct).) and then can he try to become a Khalsa (Total dedication to Sikhism. One who has has shed his ego and personality and truly honours the memory of Guru Gobind Singh through his actions and deeds.) to finally become a Gurmukh (One who has achieved mukhti (salvation) and is totally God-centered.)!

Actually a Khalsa is one who is as follows:

"He who keeps alight the unquenchable torch of truth, and never swerves from the thought of One God; he who has full love and confidence in God and does not put his faith, even by mistake, in fasting or the graves of Muslim saints, Hindu crematoriums, or Jogis places of sepulchre; he who recognises the One God and no pilgrimages, alms-giving, non-destruction of life, penances, or austerities; and in whose heart the light of the Perfect One shines, - he is to be recognised as a pure member of the Khalsa" (Guru Gobind Singh, 33 Swaiyyas)

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Just wanted to post this image of back days ..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles