No automatic visa for Modi as PM, US says

Voldemort

Country flag
WASHINGTON: Continuing to maintain silence on granting a visa to BJP leader Narendra Modi, US has said the heads of state and government are eligible for A1 visas and no individual automatically qualifies for an American visa.

"Heads of state and heads of government are eligible for A1 visa classification under the INA (Immigration and Nationality Act). No individual automatically qualifies for a US visa," state department spokesperson Jen Psaki told reporters.

"US law exempts foreign government officials, including heads of state and heads of government from certain potential inadmissibility grounds," Psaki said when asked about the possibility of issuing visa to Modi, whose party-led NDA is projected by exit polls to form the next government in India.

Refusing to go into details, Psaki refrained from responding to direct questions on Modi visa issue, except for saying that the US looks forward to working with new Indian government.

"We don't talk about visa applications. We are looking forward to working with the new Indian government when they are elected. But I am not going to speculate on that given, obviously, the results haven't been announced yet," she said.

The results of polls in India are scheduled to be announced on May 16. In 2005, the US government had revoked a visa that Modi had for travelling to the US on the ground of alleged human rights violations after the Gujarat riots.

No automatic visa for Modi as PM, US says - The Times of India

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Under Modi's leadership, India should work towards developing ICBM capability at distances where our missiles can reach Western Europe and the United States.

Free Karma

Slow day in the news room before counting I guess, press has fallen back on their filler content, with click bait headlines.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
He will get one as it is when he becomes PM. US is farting a bit more than they usually do these days.
What level in USG do you suppose Psaki holds? Not very high I think. If GoI needs an answer, it will ask through appropriate channels.

"US law exempts foreign government officials, including heads of state and heads of government from certain potential inadmissibility grounds," Psaki said when asked about the possibility of issuing visa to Modi, whose party-led NDA is projected by exit polls to form the next government in India.

Refusing to go into details, Psaki refrained from responding to direct questions on Modi visa issue, except for saying that the US looks forward to working with new Indian government.

Voldemort

Country flag
What level in USG do you suppose Psaki holds? Not very high I think. If GoI needs an answer, it will ask through appropriate channels.
So what is the need for junior officials to make such statements? I think USA wont make much fuss about this visa thing after the PM is elected, especially over frivolous grounds like Human Rights abuse. (We are talking about USA. Let us be realistic.)

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
So what is the need for junior officials to make such statements?
To answer questions from ToI reporters...

I think USA wont make much fuss about this visa thing after the PM is elected, especially over frivolous grounds like Human Rights abuse. (We are talking about USA. Let us be realistic.)
The whole Modi visa issue was a fabricated problem & received unnecessary attention.

Jagdish58

WHO CARES????

Better Modi should not travel to the ignorant & terrorist funding country like USA , he has to call the president of US to meet him in India or any nuetral place enough of drama

USA is nothing but a big joke , 2002 riots only muslims killed ?? and what is drones in AF-PAK border doing killing hindus and chiristians

Come on grow up , if USA has what it takes stop Ukraine issue :laugh: they are not able to block Mistral ship deal from france which is a NATO country forget about influenceing whole world utter nonsense

Glint

Country flag
WHO CARES????

Better Modi should not travel to the ignorant & terrorist funding country like USA , he has to call the president of US to meet him in India or any nuetral place enough of drama

USA is nothing but a big joke , 2002 riots only muslims killed ?? and what is drones in AF-PAK border doing killing hindus and chiristians

Come on grow up , if USA has what it takes stop Ukraine issue :laugh: they are not able to block Mistral ship deal from france which is a NATO country forget about influenceing whole world utter nonsense
I'm not even going to argue, This statement is just idiotic

t_co

To answer questions from ToI reporters...

The whole Modi visa issue was a fabricated problem & received unnecessary attention.
As I recall, the US put the visa ban in place without any provocation from the Indian side. If it was fabricated, it was fabricated by the US itself.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
As I recall, the US put the visa ban in place without any provocation from the Indian side. If it was fabricated, it was fabricated by the US itself.
It was fabricated by lobbies within the US who had no idea how big the man (Modi) was going to become.

Recently when Modi was invited to Wharton to give a talk, the same lobbies made a hue and cry and sabotaged the event.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles