Nikki's 'white' claim kicks up a row

Blackwater

Washington, July 29
Democrats have accused North Carolina's Indian-American Governor Nikki Haley of listing her race as "white" in her voter registration form in 2001 and playing on it for political convenience.

Haley (39) created history this year as she was sworn in as first women Governor of North Carolina. She is also the first Indian-American woman Governor and after Bobby Jindal from Louisiana is only the second from the community to occupy this post.

The local Post and Courier reported that the Democratic Party, which first obtained the public record in this regard, is challenging whether her inconsistency on the card might have made her ineligible to voter under the state's new voter ID law.

State Democratic Party chairman **** Harpootlian said whether Haley listed her race as white or not did not really matter to him, but the issue was that the Governor had shown a pattern of such actions.

"Haley has been appearing on television interviews where she calls herself a minority - when it suits her," Harpootlian was quoted as saying.

"When she registers to vote she says she is white. She has developed a pattern of saying whatever is beneficial to her at the moment," he said. "She can't even tell the truth about her racial heritage." There was no immediate response from Haley's office.

The state Election Commission gives people the choice of declaring their race as white, Black/African-American, Asian, Hispanic, Native American or other, the agency's spokesman Chris Whitmire said. — PTI

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Main News

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Silly of Indian origin people to call themselves 'white'.

sanjay

Some Indians are more or less caucasian, and you can't even tell the difference.

What's clear here is that Democrats are such race-baiters that they always want to emphasize skin color and ethnicity for their own pedigree purposes. They feel that minorities belong to them, and they don't like any "scabs".

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Some Indians are more or less caucasian, and you can't even tell the difference.
As Caucasian as Hala Basha-Gorani, who is of Syrian origin?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Stupid slave minded idiot... is so ashamed of her origin that she changes her name and now her race just to live in US..:lol:.
Typical inferiority complex.

I dont know why India media gives these people publiticity ?? there are other pressing concerns that need attention.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Typical inferiority complex.

I dont know why India media gives these people publiticity ?? there are other pressing concerns that need attention.
Because our yellow media is also that type itself.. sell-out to politicians, cheap page 3 class and without any conscience or sensibility of a typical media in a democratic institution.

sandeepdg

Shame on this b**ch ! What's with these stupid people that they are so ashamed to claim that they are Indian and non-whites !

And this stupid media of ours needs a lesson in "media,journalism and its role in our society" itself.

sanjay

There are plenty of Indians who imitate other cultures. Another branch are Indians who imitate African-Americans. They try to act black, try to imitate the same style of speech, try to dress the same, listen to the same music, etc. They don't see anything from their community to like, so they want to re-make themselves to look like somebody else.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Because our yellow media is also that type itself.. sell-out to politicians, cheap page 3 class and without any conscience or sensibility of a typical media in a democratic institution.
You are right. This is the same mentality that believes 'everything foreign is better' only because it is foreign. Our media is controlled by people who feel inferior when they visit other countries and try to copy how foreigners behave.

I have been to many countries and have never felt 'inferiority complex' but rather know that Indian culture is countless times richer (not in monetary terms) than theirs. Lack of insight and knowledge about one's identity is the cause for it.

One thing that no one can deny is that only rich/upper middle/elite Indians speak in english among themselves while all other people from different countries speak in there native languages when they are amongst themselves. Arabs, chinese, french, german etc all speak in there own language when they are among themselves but Indians will speak english because that mentality of 'everything foreign is better' reigns supreme.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
You are right. This is the same mentality that believes 'everything foreign is better' only because it is foreign. Our media is controlled by people who feel inferior when they visit other countries and try to copy how foreigners behave.

I have been to many countries and have never felt 'inferiority complex' but rather know that Indian culture is countless times richer (not in monetary terms) than theirs. Lack of insight and knowledge about one's identity is the cause for it.

One thing that no one can deny is that only rich/upper middle/elite Indians speak in english among themselves while all other people from different countries speak in there native languages when they are amongst themselves. Arabs, chinese, french, german etc all speak in there own language when they are among themselves but Indians will speak english because that mentality of 'everything foreign is better' reigns supreme.
You speak my mind. I too prefer using Hindi online when talking to other members. But since some of them don't understand, I refrain from using it. Having a common simple language of the land for pan-Indian communication is essential. Since Hindi is simplest of all Sanskrit-based state languages, I think it is best for filling this slot. Being an open-culture country, regional accents don't really have any negative effect and each state's person speaking Hindi differently is a welcome uniqueness in our country.

Also, it is against the forum rules here as well to use non-English languages on a regular bases to maintain forum's internationally inviting image. :)

sandeepdg

Man, you just read my thoughts on this !! Absolutely the thing that I was gonna say here. I really find this lost identity syndrome of Indians to be a really cheap behavior.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
As per US Govt. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa is considered belonging to the White Race. I don't see much wrong with what Haley the politician did.

Param

As per US Govt. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa is considered belonging to the White Race. I don't see much wrong with what Haley the politician did.
But she is Indian-American. And when did Indians become White?

I wonder what would be the classification for a south Indian or Sri Lankan?

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
If blacks where the ones who where rich and powerful like what Whites are now, i am sure some Indians will buy Dark&Lovely cream and try and look as black as possible and call themselves African. Matter of fact that would have been easier and other brain dead ideologist will be touting the Dravidian Invasion theory as their ticket into Blackness, instead of Aryan invasion theory.

Fu@k Nikkie Haley, Indian americans must publicly garland her and announce that she no longer is Indian and she has graduated to her new Race.

Last edited:

niharjhatn

There are plenty of Indians who imitate other cultures. Another branch are Indians who imitate African-Americans. They try to act black, try to imitate the same style of speech, try to dress the same, listen to the same music, etc. They don't see anything from their community to like, so they want to re-make themselves to look like somebody else.
It's a bit more complicated than that. People try to desperately to fit in... in whatever environment they are surrounded by. Migrant Indians do not tend to have a strong Indian support structure around them in most nations, partly from an urge to fit in and partly because Indians have not been migrating to other nations (relatively) as long as others e.g. the Chinese, who tend to establish very strong cultural support groups, and Middle Eastern groups.

Having been raised in RSA, I too play basketball, listen to rap, have African friends, but I never forgot my Indian heritage largely because of a large Indian populace, and relatively strong support group from family and friends.

For me, its easy to see if a migrant is brought up in a place without such support, how they can appear at times to be "desperately" trying to fit in.

Param

If blacks where the ones who where rich and powerful like what Whites are now, i am sure some Indians will buy Dark&Lovely cream and try and look as black as possible and call themselves African. Matter of fact that would have been easier and other brain dead ideologist will be touting the Dravidian Invasion theory as their ticket into Blackness, instead of Aryan invasion theory.

Fu@k Nikkie Haley, Indian americans must publicly garland her and announce that she no longer is Indian and she has graduated to her new Race.
Dark&lovely cream !:rofl:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
But she is Indian-American. And when did Indians become White?

I wonder what would be the classification for a south Indian or Sri Lankan?
Indians can become white just like the Middle Easterns and North Africans if the US govt wants to.

The classification is not based on skin colour but the country of your birth. If you are born in Egypt or Iraq you are white, you are born in India or Burma you are Asian etc.

What Nikki Haley did imho was for her political advancement, why and what does it matter to you ?
If Sonia Gandhi indulges in shady politics, should the Italians raise a hue and cry ?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles