News accross India , Month of June

Pintu

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/City/Patna/Bihari-pride-attacked-JDU/articleshow/6042240.cms

Bihari pride attacked: JD(U)
Faizan Ahmad, TNN, Jun 13, 2010, 02.43am IST

PATNA: The JD(U) has taken the controversial advertisement as an attack on the Bihari pride and a question mark on the state leadership. "The contents of the ad suggest as if our government and leadership is incapable of doing anything for the needy people and victims of the Kosi deluge," state JD(U) president Vijay Kumar Chowdhary told TOI on Saturday.

Expressing his ire against the deliberate attempt to undermine the achievements of the state NDA government, Chowdhary said, "We strongly condemn this feeling which has been unleashed in the ad which attempted to send a wrong message."

"We don't take any other chief minister or leader as a role model as our leader Nitish Kumar has set own standards which are being followed by the Centre and other states," the JD(U) chief said.

The JD(U) leaders, who were huddled with Nitish on Saturday, felt if bitterness is created in the relations between the JD(U) and BJP "only one person will be responsible for that."

JD(U) national spokesman Shivanand Tiwary told TOI, "Now all will depend on how the BJP reacts to the reaction of Nitish on this episode. We are ready to face any situation."

Another senior JD(U) leader said that the local BJP leadership too was caught unaware by this advertisement.

"This (advertisement) has certainly caused a chasm," he added, saying Nitish has reacted as per his agenda. Gujarat CM Narendra Modi's visit took place at a time when Nitish is under attack from certain political quarters as well as few Muslim organizations.

"My visit to Khanqah Mujibia on Saturday was pre-planned and I took the opportunity to meet Peer Sahib," Nitish told TOI. The CM usually calls on Phulwarisharif-based Khanqah Sajjadah Nashin Hazrat Maulana Syed Shah Ayatullah Qadri.

Pintu

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-on-Kosi-flood-relief/articleshow/6041429.cms

Nitish takes exception to Modi's claims on Kosi flood relief
PTI, Jun 12, 2010, 05.38pm IST

PATNA: In an embarrassment to BJP, chief minister and ally JD(U) leader Nitish Kumar on Saturday termed as "uncivilised" Gujarat government's claim through newspaper advertisements that it donated liberally to Bihar after the 2008 Kosi floods.

Kumar also took strong exception to the use of his photograph with that of Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi in another advertisement published in local dailies and said he would take legal action against those responsible for it.

"The Gujarat government's claim (on flood relief) is uncivilised and against Indian culture. Nobody claims of bestowing favours on those who face tragedy caused by natural calamities," Kumar, who heads the JD(U)- BJP government in Bihar, told reporters here.

An agitated JD(U) leader said he would return the "unutilised money" to the Modi Government. "I do not know the exact amount contributed to the Relief Fund by Gujarat. I will go through the details and immediately return the money received from Modi which was lying unspent in the CM Relief account," he said.

The advertisement was issued by the Gujarat Government.

Kumar said he or his office was not consulted on the use of his photograph with that of Modi in the advertisement issued by some private individuals. "It has caused a great embarrassment to me," Kumar said in reply to a question.

"I have no knowledge about the agency advertising my photograph along with that of Modi as published in newspapers today. Nor was my office consulted...I will explore and take all possible legal action against those responsible for this unethical and illegal act," the chief minister said.

Kumar, however, said that such developments would not impact the alliance between the two parties.

His comments have come at a time when the parties are preparing for the assembly elections in the state due later this year. Kumar has kept Modi at an arm's length apparently to woo Muslim voters.

He had specifically asked the BJP not to use Modi, who had received flak for the 2002 Gujarat riots, in its campaign in the state during the 2009 Lok Sabha elections.

A section of BJP leadership felt the advertisements were brought out by those opposed to the JD(U)-BJP alliance.

Pintu

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...s-get-rousing-welcome/articleshow/6039266.cms

BJP leaders get rousing welcome
Abhay Singh , TNN, Jun 12, 2010, 03.08am IST

PATNA: On Friday, national BJP president Nitin Gadkari received rousing welcome on his arrival here for the party's two-day National Executive meet, beginning Saturday. While the meet would mainly focus on three issues that would be known only on Saturday, the meet in itself marks the party's will to retain the NDA government in the state.

Gadkari, who was accompanied by Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitely, Bal Apte and Ram Lal, garlanded the statue of the country's first president Rajendra Prasad in front of Raj Bhawan and that of Jayaprakash Narayan (JP) at income-tax roundabout. Later, he went to pay his obeisance at Takht Harmandir in Patna City.

Former BJP president L K Advani also arrived in the evening, and received equally rousing welcome all through the way from the airport.

Among others, former BJP president Rajnath Singh arrived late in the evening, while six CMs of the BJP-ruled states would be arriving on Saturday by chartered flights. The meet is to begin at Maurya Hotel on Saturday morning, it would continue till 2 pm on Sunday.

Subsequently, the leaders would address the Bihar Swabhiman Rally held at Gandhi Maidan on the day.
Around six leaders would address the meet. Bihar deputy CM Sushil Kumar Modi said that he was aware about the names of three leaders — Nitin Gadkari, L K Advani and Narendra Modi — who would definitely address the rally at Gandhi Maidan on Sunday.

The Bihar deputy CM also said that the rally, being the party's clarion call for the state's assembly elections this year, would adopt resolutions pointing to the step-motherly treatment meted out to the BJP-ruled states by the UPA government at the Centre, in general, and discrimination done against Bihar, in particular.

He reiterated that the NDA government in Bihar had become synonymous with 'vikas (development)', while the government of the RJD and Congress in the state was a synonym for 'vinas (destruction)'. He said, "People of the state don't want the return of the RJD, LJP and Congress government. A mere thought of it gives them nightmares. They, therefore, would vote for the NDA candidates, and also ensure the return of their government."

Pintu

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...r-partys-war-cry-Modi/articleshow/6039277.cms

Swabhiman Rally is our party's war cry: Modi
Abhay Singh, TNN, Jun 12, 2010, 03.13am IST

PATNA: From the point of view of Bihar BJP, the national issues are unlikely to acquire any cutting edge during the elections to the state assembly due in October-November this year, and, therefore, Gujarat CM Narendra Modi would not only address Bihar Swabhiman Rally to be held here on Sunday, but could also take active part when the electioneering peaks.

Incidentally, the Gujarat CM did not campaign in the state during the 2004 and 2009 parliamentary elections, nor did he do it during the two elections held for the state assembly in 2005.

The general perception, if not popular knowledge, was that the then JD(U) leader and CM aspirant Nitish Kumar did not savour participation in the electioneering exercise by Narendra Modi, whose rule has been scarred and besmirched by the infamous 'Gujarat riots'.

On Friday, deputy CM Sushil Kumar Modi scoffed all suggestions regarding the hand of Nitish in stalling the campaign by Narendra.

"I must make it clear that till date, he has not interfered in the internal affairs of the BJP," he said, adding: "At that time, it was the decision of the BJP as to who will come to campaign, or who will not."

The deputy CM also insisted that Narendra's address to the Swabhiman Rally on Sunday, or electioneering by him during the build-up to the elections to the state assembly, was unlikely to mar the interests of the BJP.

"Whosoever comes or does not come to campaign is one matter. It will not harm the interests of the BJP," he said.
According to him, the Bihar NDA, comprising the BJP and JD(U) was a 'model' of mutual understanding in coalition politics, like the NDA government led by former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee was at the Centre. The deputy CM also said, "We will fight the assembly elections on the basis of the achievements of the NDA government. The fight will be on our terms. We will set the agenda for the next election, not the RJD, LJP or Congress."

He appeared assured that the people of the state would reject the RJD, LJP and Congress, since they have the experience of the 15-year Lalu-Rabri 'jungle raj'. He maintained that the Congress, which was a partner in the Rabri Devi government (2000-05) despite the fact that it has contested the elections separately, could not be absolved of its role.

"During the Sunday's rally, the party's national leaders would make an appeal to the people of the state to give second term to the NDA government. The Swabhiman Rally is our party's 'shankhnad (war cry of the conch shell)' for the coming elections to the state assembly," he said.

Cong to come out with 'chargesheet' against govt

Pintu

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-to-overseas-Indians-/articleshow/4916292.cms

Cabinet clears fund for emergency help to overseas Indians
TNN, Aug 21, 2009, 03.16am IST

NEW DELHI: The Union Cabinet on Thursday approved setting up Indian Community Welfare Fund (ICWF) in Indian missions in 17 countries to meet contingency expenses for welfare of overseas Indian citizens who are in distress.

The proposed fund, estimated at Rs 1.6 crore, is aimed at providing boarding and lodging for distressed overseas Indian workers in domestic sector and unskilled labourers, extending emergency medical care to those in need, providing air passage to stranded overseas Indians in need, providing initial legal assistance to the overseas Indians in deserving cases and expenditure on airlifting the mortal remains to India or local cremation/burial of deceased overseas Indians in such cases where a sponsor is unable or unwilling to do so as per the contract and the family is unable to meet the cost.

Overseas Indian workers duped by unscrupulous intermediaries in the host countries, runaway house maids, those who become victims of accidents, deserted spouses of overseas Indians or undocumented overseas Indian workers in need of emergency assistance or any other overseas Indian citizens who are in distress would be the main beneficiaries of the fund.

Pintu

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ans-forceful-eviction/articleshow/6039281.cms

FIR to be filed against Pathan brothers for woman's forceful eviction
TNN, Jun 12, 2010, 03.15am IST

VADODARA: Family of cricketers Irfan and Yusuf Pathan may face trouble in a property dispute. Gujarat director general of police (DGP) has asked Vadodara police to register an FIR against the Pathan family for allegedly evicting a tenant from their property about a year ago.

One Kalpana Rochani had a lease on a shop owned by the Pathans since 2006. Rochani, who ran a beauty parlour, alleged that the Pathan family hired goons and took forced possession of the shop in Tanishk Complex on Old Padra Road. Sources close to the Pathan family claim they have done nothing illegal. They said Rochani had not paid her dues and wanted to continue with the lease. "The family won't take any action and let the law takes its own course," said a source. "I had taken the shop on lease for six years. But last year, the Pathan family asked me to vacate the place, which I refused. A civil suit is on and court had ordered in January that the Pathans must not ask for possession," Rochani said.

"But, on May 7 some goons broke into the parlour and took possession of the shop. The next day we were not allowed to enter the parlour, following which we approached the cops. But they didn't report our complaint. The goons, who were caught from the shop, too were released," Rochani added, saying goods worth about Rs 12 lakh were missing from the parlour.

She approached the CM's office in May. "Despite reminders from the CMO, the police commissioner didn't register an FIR. On May 26, Rochani's statement was finally taken and she was asked to come for 'panchnama' on June 1. The police, however, can't file a panchnama without first registering an FIR. Rochani again approached the DGP who asked the commissioner to register an FIR," said Jagdish Ramani, advocate of Rochani.

Pintu

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...minor-daughters-in-MP/articleshow/6041468.cms

Drunk father kills 5 minor daughters in MP
PTI, Jun 12, 2010, 06.04pm IST

SEHORE (Madhya Pradesh): A man allegedly killed his five minor daughters in an inebriated condition at a village in Madhya Pradesh's Sehore district, police said on Saturday.

The incident took place on Friday at Kanoria village in the district, 39 km from Bhopal, when the man in a drunken condition attacked his daughters, aged between two and six years, with a sharp weapon, they said.

The police also said that the man has been arrested.

Pintu

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/I-feel-exonerated-Amitabh-Bachchan/articleshow/6041447.cms

I feel exonerated: Amitabh Bachchan
IANS, Jun 12, 2010, 05.51pm IST

NEW DELHI: "One breathes freely again", said megastar Amitabh Bachchan after a petition seeking a criminal case against him for not honouring his commitment to build a women's college was dismissed.

"...I feel exonerated in the immediate matter of the land. The justice system has prevailed. The courts have dismissed the petition filed," the actor posted on his blog bigb.bigadda.com after a court in Uttar Pradesh's Barabanki district dismissed the petition on Friday.

"The case has been won and one breathes freely again. Breathes freely again because of the reassurance the legal system gives to individuals who are wrongly and unjustly implicated. Breathes freely again because those that indulge in frivolous complaints and cause considerable anguish to the victimised have been given a lesson by the justice system," he added.

In 2006, Amitabh, along with his wife Jaya, son Abhishek, Aishwarya and close friend Amar Singh visited Daulatpur village and declared that a women's college, named after his daughter-in-law Aishwarya, would be built there.

However, when there was no activity on the plot ever since, the village head moved the court.

Amitabh is particularly upset on being targeted time and again.

"Year upon year month after month, some accusation or the other is directed towards me or my family. Ridicule and callous statements follow and what remains in the minds of the people is these negative untruthful impressions," he posted.

Pintu

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...join-issue-with-Moily/articleshow/6041352.cms

Justice Ahmadi refuses to join issue with Moily
PTI, Jun 12, 2010, 05.05pm IST

NEW DELHI: Former Chief Justice of India A M Ahmadi, whose dilution of charges in the Bhopal gas case has created a storm, on Saturday said he would not like to enter into the blame game over the issue of accused getting light punishment.

"I do not want to go into the blame game. I do not want to go into any type of spat with anyone," he said.

He was responding to law minister M Veerappa Moily's comment that while CBI had filed chargesheet for the offence of culpable homicide not amounting to murder under section 304 (II) of the IPC, the apex court had converted it to 304(A) which invokes lighter punishment.

Moily had sought to put the onus on judiciary for the dilution of charges. "Unfortunately the judiciary did it," he told reporters in Bangalore.

While refusing to be drawn into any further controversy, Justice Ahmadi said that "hue and cry is happening because people want to raise the issue".

To a question on government putting the responsibility on diluted charges on the judiciary, the former CJI said "the government is always responsible.

"When something of this nature happens to the people of the country, does the government say it has no responsibility? I am unable to understand that".

When his attention was drawn to experts and former CBI officials dubbing the 1996 verdict as absolutely wrong, the former CJI, who was part of the Bench which diluted the charges, said "I cannot say anything about it".

On the trial court verdict, Justice Ahmadi said "the trial court judge has done what he could have".

When asked about the remedies available to the CBI or the Government, he said "I don't see one".

To questions about his heading the Bhopal Memorial Trust Hospital, Justice Ahmadi said he had offered to the previous CJI K G Balakrishnan that he would step down from the post of Chairman.

Again he would write to the new CJI S H Kapadia on the issue, he said.

Pintu

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/5-students-killed-in-wall-collapse/articleshow/6042589.cms

5 students killed in wall collapse
Syed Rizwanullah, TNN, Jun 13, 2010, 06.13am IST

AURANGABAD: Five students were killed and 10 injured, three of them seriously, when the wall of a madrassa caved in at Maharashtra's Mendhi-Bhalgaon village, about 60km from Aurangabad, on Saturday evening.

''About 50 children, in the age group of 12-14 years had come to the madrassa for their evening prayer around 5.30pm. Suddenly, there were strong winds and lightning,'' resident deputy collector N R Shelke told TOI.

The wall of the madrassa hall where devotees offer 'namaaz', caved in burying many students under its debris. ''The tin roof of the madrassa, which was anchored by heavy logs to prevent it from blowing away, caused much of the damage. Those who were preparing for the prayer outside the hall and those who were away from the wall escaped unhurt,'' he said.

Three of the students died immediately while two others died on the way to hospital, Shelke said. An eyewitness, Hafiz Rahim, said lightning and thunderstorm may have caused the wall collapse.

Pintu

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ension-Raj-Thackeray-/articleshow/6042402.cms

Voted for Cong to revoke MLAs' suspension: Raj Thackeray
PTI, Jun 13, 2010, 04.24am IST

MUMBAI: Rejecting Shiv Sena's criticism for voting in favour of Congress-NCP alliance in the Maharashtra legislative council polls, MNS chief Raj Thackeray on Saturday said the idea was to ensure that his four suspended MLAs entered the upper house.

"It is important for me to send my four suspended MLAs back to the legislature as they were elected (to the state assembly) by lakhs of voters. It would be injustice to their constituencies if they remain out of the House," he told reporters here.

The MNS MLAs were suspended in November last year for attacking SP MLA Abu Azmi in the assembly for taking oath in Hindi. On MNS MLAs voting for Congress in the June 10 biennial polls to the legislative council, Thackeray said, "We took whatever step was needed to get suspension of our four MLAs revoked."

Pintu

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ps-nab-unholy-thieves/articleshow/6042278.cms

CCTV grabs help cops nab 'unholy' thieves
V Narayan, TNN, Jun 13, 2010, 03.03am IST

MUMBAI: A four-minute closed-circuit television (CCTV) footage helped the Pant Nagar police nab within 24 hours two men who had stolen a goddess' crown and money from a temple in Ghatkopar.

The accused—Murtaza Shaikh (49) and Mohammed Shaikh (35)—are repeat offenders. Both reside in Jogeshwari. The duo had struck at the temple in Ambika Building on Vallabh Baug and made away goddess Ambika's crown which they thought was made of gold. They realised later that it was was just a gold-plated crown.

The two have told the interrogators that they had come to Ghatkopar at midnight to steal calves from a cowshed. However, when they did not find one, they decided to break in to the temple.

The matter came to light when trustee of the temple opened the doors on Thursday and noticed the crown and money pot missing. In his complaint, temple trustee Dinesh Bhat said, "I went through the CCTV clips and found two men stealing the crown and the money. The CCTV camera helped to identify the culprits."

The incident took place on Thursday when the duo was returning to Jogeshwari. "They told us that they reached Ambika Building and saw the temple. The duo noticed that there were not security guards around and decided to break in to the temple," said Pant Nagar inspector Vijay Khaire. "They took the crown and the pot containing Rs 2,000," Khaire added.

Khaire said that the installation of CCTV camera had speeded up the investigation and helped to hole out the two accused, else they would have gone scot-free.

They were booked for theft and are investigating further to know the number of offences they had committed in the past in the city.

Pintu

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...d-body-found-in-trunk/articleshow/6042294.cms

Decomposed body found in trunk
Vijay V Singh, TNN, Jun 13, 2010, 03.12am IST

MUMBAI: The police found the decomposed body of a 30-year-old woman locked in a steel trunk off the western express highway in Goregaon (East) on Saturday. The victim was killed elsewhere before being dumped in the trunk.The Goregaon (East) police have registered a case.

Officials said no documents were found on the body and that they are trying identify her by looking through the missing persons' records in the area. The body has been sent for postmortem to ascertain the cause of death. The police speculate that the woman was either strangulated or poisoned.

The trunk was discovered by a mechanic, Naeem, who initially ignored it, presuming that someone would claim it. On discovering the body, he reported it to his employer, Lalit Shah,who then informed the police.

Officials said that there were marks on the neck that probably occurred when the murderer forced the body into the trunk. Crime branch ACP, Jaywant Hargude said that it was possible that the victim was locked in the trunk alive.

Pintu

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...r-wife-man-hangs-self/articleshow/6042194.cms

Pining for wife, man hangs self
V Narayan, TNN, Jun 13, 2010, 02.08am IST

MUMBAI: Depressed after his wife left him a week ago, a 24-year-old man committed suicide on Friday night. His body was found hanging at his Dharavi home on Saturday. The couple reportedly had an argument, after which the deceased, Himmat alias Dinesh Patwa's wife went to Hyderabad to stay with her parents.

According to the Dharavi police, the post-mortem report confirmed that Patwa died of strangulation. The police also found a chit from the spot, in which Patwa had written that he was upset after his wife left him. The note said, "Tum mujhko chhod kar chali gayi, ab mein is duniya ko chhod kar ja raha hoon (You left me, now I am leaving this world)."

Patwa got married six months ago. He made rakhis for a living. Senior inspector Hemant Patil said that once Patwa's wife returns from Hyderabad, the police would have more details of the case. "Patwa's relatives told us that the couple was getting along well," he added.

Patwa's neighbours confirmed that Patwa was depressed, Patil said.

Pintu

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...crack-Tanasha-killing/articleshow/6042236.cms

Interpreter to help cops crack Tanasha killing
V Narayan, TNN, Jun 13, 2010, 02.39am IST

MUMBAI: The Tilak Nagar police probing the alleged killing of Chhota Rajan aide Farid Tanasha on Saturday visited a Chembur-based school for physically challenged students to find a teacher who would be able to help them (cops) to play interpreter to the victim's elderly deaf-and -dumb aunt. She was present in the house on the night of the incident on June 2.

According to investigators, they had already prepared sketches of the accused based on a description provided by the victim's daughter who was one of the key witnesses. At the time of the incident, the people present in the house included Tanasha's wife, daughter, brother's daughter and his 60-year-old aunt who was performing namaaz when the incident occurred.

The police managed to get information from the witnesses but were facing a problem in interacting with the elderly woman. This prompted them to find a teacher who will work for them from Monday. "The teacher will help us understand the woman and get information from her about what she witnessed," said a police officer.

The victim's wife described the two accused as having a dark complexion. One was wearing a yellow T-shirt and jeans while the other wore a peach T-shirt with jeans. She said that along with her daughter and husband, she had gone to Ajmer-e-Sharif and Delhi for a pilgrimage just before the incident.

The shooters were from the Bharat Nepali gang and Tanasha was killed as a result of gang rivalry. JCP(Crime) Himanshu Roy on Friday said the matter should be resolved soon.

Pintu

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-raping-teen-daughter/articleshow/6042238.cms

Man held for raping teen daughter
Sandhya Nair, TNN, Jun 13, 2010, 02.42am IST

MUMBAI: In a shocking incident, a 41-year-old man has been arrested on charges of repeatedly raping his teenaged daughter at their Raigaon home in Bhayander (W) for over a week in April this year. The victim is a Class X student, awaiting her results.

The victim Sushma (name changed), on Saturday, with her mother and aunt lodged a complaint with the Bhayander police who arrested the accused Hemant Dhure, a security guard at a bank in Bhayander.

The 18-year-old victim in her police complaint stated that she was raped by her father in the last week of April this year. Sushma, who had appeared for her SSC exams in March, had come down from her native town in Devgad, Sindhudurg district, to stay with her father after taking her SSC exams. Her parents have separated and she stays with her maternal grandparents. Her mother too lives in their native town.

In her police statement, Sushma said that in the last week of April, her father came home drunk and wanted to get physical with her. When she refused, he hit her and threatened to kill her. He then raped her repeatedly for a week after returning home from work. In the first week of May, Sushma got pregnant and informed her father about it. He took her to a gynaecologist, introducing himself as Sushma's husband. The doctor then put her on pills to abort the child.

A few days after the abortion, Dhure tried to rape his daughter again. That was when Sushma gathered the courage to confide in her mother over the telephone. Her mother came down to Bhayander and confronted her husband. He, however, threatened her too. On Saturday, the victim along with her mother and aunt registered a police complaint. In her statement, Sushma said that she had been living with her grandparents from the time she entered class five.

Initially, her parents would come to visit her. After they separated a few years ago, her father would visit her alone. During anearlier stay, he did not attempt to rape her.

Dhure has been booked under Sections 376 (rape), 313 (causing miscarriage) and 506 (criminal intimidation) of the IPC. He will be produced in court on Sunday.

Pintu

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...by-Bombay-HC-to-woman/articleshow/6039508.cms

Divorce 'cruel' NRI hubby, Bombay HC to woman
Rebecca Samervel, TNN, Jun 12, 2010, 03.36am IST

MUMBAI: The Bombay high court on Friday suggested that a 22-year-old Mumbai girl, who has filed a case against her estranged NRI husband alleging cruelty and torture, file for divorce rather than seek a police probe because of technical difficulties.

"Why do you want to run after a dead marriage? You are keeping the courts and the police machinery busy. At the end of the day, what are you going to achieve,'' asked Justice B H Marlapalle. A division bench of Justice Marlapalle and Justice Anoop V Mohta is hearing a petition filed by Borivli-resident Maya Bhatnagar (name changed).

Maya, who married London-based Paresh Bhatnagar (name changed) on March 27, 2008. "My parents spent a lot on my wedding and ensured that all the demands made by Paresh's family were met," Maya has claimed.

Maya's family was shocked when they realised that Paresh, who was scheduled to return to London, had not booked tickets for his wife. Maya has alleged that she had to book her tickets using her own "sources". However, her travails did not end there. When she arrived in London in June-July 2008, neither Paresh nor his family welcomed her. "From October 2008, I was frequently subjected to mental and physical cruelty by Paresh and his family," Maya has alleged. "On December 11, 2008, Paresh drove me out of the house and sent me back to India," Maya has claimed in her petition.

Subsequently, Maya filed a complaint against Paresh at the Borivli police station in March 2009, following which the cops sent a notice to the Scotland police. When Maya received no response, she filed a case under Section 498A for dowry harassment and an FIR was registered. However, Maya alleged that no step was taken by the police. "The police can't force him to come," said Justice Marlapalle.

Maya's lawyer said Paresh has initiated divorce proceedings in London and she is unable to go there due to financial reasons. "They'll decide the case ex parte then. This is a case of marital dispute," said Justice Marlapalle.

Pintu

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...n-expected-in-Mumbai-/articleshow/6038654.cms

Heavy rain expected in Mumbai
PTI, Jun 11, 2010, 10.01pm IST

MUMBAI: The Meteorological department on Friday warned of heavy rain or thundershower, accompanied by strong gusty winds, for the next two days in the city.

"Rain or thundershower accompanied by strong gutsy wind would occur in parts of city and suburbs. There will be heavy rainfall in some areas," the Met office said in its 8pm bulletin.

According to the department, heavy rainfall would occur in isolated places over Konkan and Goa.

The ports along the Maharashtra-Goa coast have been issued warnings till tomorrow afternoon.

Pintu

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-in-next-two-days-IMD/articleshow/6039245.cms

Rain to hit Mumbai in next two days: IMD
PTI, Jun 12, 2010, 02.38am IST

MUMBAI: The India Meteorological Department (IMD) forecasts heavy rainfall in parts of Mumbai in the next 48 hours.

According to IMD officials, there will be heavy rains in some parts of the city accompained by strong and gusty wind for the next 48 hours.

"The monsoon has arrived 24 hours earlier than predicted and it will cover Konkan, mid-Marathwada and Maharastra in next two to three days. We also forecasted that there will be heavy rainfall for tomorrow and Sunday," IMD's Director Sati Devi said.

"Earlier, IMD had said monsoon will arrive after June 12," Devi said.

According to the weather bureau, Colaba recorded 0.2 mm rainfall and Santacruz nil rainfall from 8.30 am to 8.30 pm.

As there were pre-monsoon showers, since June 1, Mumbai received a total of 115.7 mm rainfall -- 10.7 mm in Colaba and 105 mm in Santacruz.

The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) has geared into action and asked their staff to be on alert.

"As IMD has predicted extremely heavy rainfall for the next 48 hours in the city and suburbs, all officers are directed to be on alert and not to leave BMC headquarters," Municipal Commissioner Swadhin Kshatriya said.

Pintu

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ds-with-traffic-CCTVs/articleshow/6039544.cms

BMC to manage floods with traffic CCTVs
SUKHADA TATKE, TNN, Jun 12, 2010, 04.03am IST

MUMBAI: The BMC is seeking help from the traffic department to get the actual ground picture on waterlogging this time. It has written to the traffic police asking for footage obtained from CCTVs installed at 100 major traffic junctions in the city.

The traffic department's CCTV project has cameras at various junctions to monitor offences, each covering an area of 200 metres. The live feed is transmitted to the traffic control room.

"If we get their video feeds, we can monitor water-logging and movement on the roads during the monsoon. With this, we can be alert and pass on information to the people. This, along with, real-time weather updates, will be uploaded on the BMC's portal, '' said S S Shinde, joint municipal commissioner.

"With the help of the footage, we can observe the situation from the control room and activate remedial measures. The feed from the traffic department can be of help in flooded areas,'' Shinde added.

The civic body has identified 249 spots prone to water-logging, of which, 55 are chronic flooding spots. These include Milan subway, Andheri subway, Kalachowkie, Kurla and Dadar.

Since the deluge of July 26, 2005, flooding spots have been gradually decreasing. While there were 371 chronic flooding spots in 2005, it came down to 89 in 2009. Although 50 chronic spots are listed for this year's monsoon, civic chief Swadheen Kshatriya said it is likely to be lower. "After cleaning and widening all drains across the city, and the existence of two pumping stations, Haji Ali and Irla, we expect the number of chronic flooding spots will reduce,'' said Kshatriya.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles