New Indian stealth warship halted by US bar on GE

Country flag
I agree with you, but when it comes to economics the Indian market is bigger than any other BRIC country market if you factor in defense deals, China can buy Mcdonald's but one warplane is 50 million burgers.

Country flag
But, all of this said and done, Obama does seem to be acting a little suspiciously, for example with the money issue to Pakistan... he's spelt out where the money must be used by the Pakistanis, but what are the checks and balances that have been put in place ??? What is the monitoring system that will make sure that the money is not misspent???

Unless all these questions are answered, I'm a little suspicious of Obama's intentions...
there is none and never has been it's just free money that will disappear until pakistan comes back asks for more.

Country flag
The Americans were instrumental in getting us that NSG Waiver, please remember that... without them stopping the Chinese at the last moment, the deal might have never gone through given the fact that the Chinese had started encouraging little nations like New Zealand to revolt against us...

IMHO, the French, Russian and Canadians couldn't have alone pushed the deal through the NSG, it was the American support which tipped the balance in our favour...
that was the BUSH administration under Obama nothing like this deal would ever have happened he is a real Chinese asskisser.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
that was the BUSH administration under Obama nothing like this deal would ever have happened he is a real Chinese asskisser.
Look, I agree that it was the Bush administration. But, its too early to say that Obama is a Chinese "a**kisser". He does come across as a little soft with the Chinese, but that does not mean that he will take everything lying down.

But, the latest statement of his in which he said that he is open to negotiations with the Taliban is a clear sign that he's actually not as tough as he came across during the election campaign. He does seem soft on some important issues and that is initially worrying.

But, that doesn't mean that he's a Chinese sympathiser... atleast not yet...

Country flag
in Hillary clinton's recent China visit no objectives were reached in trade or taiwan, and chinese were all smiles so to me he is a pushover with china.

EnlightenedMonk

in Hillary clinton's recent China visit no objectives were reached in trade or taiwan, and chinese were all smiles so to me he is a pushover with china.
Over all these years of Taiwanese and Chinese animosity, how many meetings have the Chinese and Americans had to solve this issue? And, what concrete "objectives" were reached during all those meetings?

And, with the current economic downturn, did you really expect any significant concessions to be made by either side when it came to trade and commerce? It'd be suicidal for them if they did...

I don't mean to be inciting you or anything, but you seem to be expecting too much out of these things... Chill dude, in International diplomacy things take time coming... they don't happen like instant coffee...

Country flag
but concessions are being made by India in IT sector, while Indian-USA trade is not close to chinese-USA trade in dollar amount, either way China is holding US debt, and huge reserves so yes i see US bowing even more to China in the future (especially democrats).

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Over all these years of Taiwanese and Chinese animosity, how many meetings have the Chinese and Americans had to solve this issue? And, what concrete "objectives" were reached during all those meetings?

And, with the current economic downturn, did you really expect any significant concessions to be made by either side when it came to trade and commerce? It'd be suicidal for them if they did...

I don't mean to be inciting you or anything, but you seem to be expecting too much out of these things... Chill dude, in International diplomacy things take time coming... they don't happen like instant coffee...
Gokul lets keep the discussion on topic.. :)

EnlightenedMonk

but concessions are being made by India in IT sector, while Indian-USA trade is not close to chinese-USA trade in dollar amount, either way China is holding US debt, and huge reserves so yes i see US bowing even more to China in the future (especially democrats).
If China were to threaten to sell or even sell a fraction of their foreign reserves, then the value of the Dollar would plummet and I don't think that'd be very good news for even the Chinese because the value of their remaining reserves would diminish. So, I think the US knows that these are only hollow threats and that both of their economic futures are intertwined.

If China tried to sink the US, then their own people would go unemployed in large numbers because they have a huge industry which has been built only on catering to the US market (unlike India's where this industry is smaller). So, if China tried to sink the US, they'd also inevitably sink.

So, its only political oneupmanship and brinkmanship. Nothing else. Don't read too much into it yaar...

Country flag
They are slowly trying to convert their dollar reserves to EUROS, and invest in other countries, and USA treasury yield is 0% so USA is screwing them too, but history always shows that debtor nations in the long run don't fare well against those they owe debt to but maybe USA might be different? but the leadership will have to take the lead.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Okay. Sorry Singh. Will not reply on the economic aspects anymore... :):):)
rather not replying, try to bring the discussion back on topic, if your discussion spawns another interesting topic we can make a new thread...

EnlightenedMonk

rather not replying, try to bring the discussion back on topic, if your discussion spawns another interesting topic we can make a new thread...
Point taken... will try it from next time.... :):):)

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
I agree with you, but when it comes to economics the Indian market is bigger than any other BRIC country market if you factor in defense deals, China can buy Mcdonald's but one warplane is 50 million burgers.
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the Chinese economy bigger then that of India? Comming back to Defence market aren't the Russians among the biggest arms exporters, Aren't the Chinese russias top arms buyer and aren't the chinese arms export larger than that of India?

EnlightenedMonk

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the Chinese economy bigger then that of India? Comming back to Defence market aren't the Russians among the biggest arms exporters, Aren't the Chinese russias top arms buyer and aren't the chinese arms export larger than that of India?
Payeng, lets not get drawn into the economics of the debate again... we just got out of it yaar... I'll ask the administrators to get the economic aspect of it shifted to a new thread...

Let's concentrate on the GE situation and the Shivalik frigates right now...

Cheers !!!

:):):)

Country flag
There is a ban on arms sales to China by USA and Europe/NATO nations. Chinese economy is bigger than Indian economy but there are sectors like Defense, satellites,high technology/IT where there is no chines market.Russia is china's only arms exporter for them to reverse engineer and resell. Chinese arms exports are much bigger than India but India's current focus is on their domestic need which is huge once that is fulfilled they can focus on export but India also focuses on quality rather than strict mass production. Also much of the chinese arms technology is outright stolen.

EnlightenedMonk

Administrators, can you please shift the economic aspects of this thread, such as the posts referring to forex reserves of China and India, the amount of exports and imports and arms related deals and their implications on the economy to another thread please ???

Please create a new thread and move those posts there...

Thank you...

:):):)

Country flag
we need a answer from USA are they supplying or not? if not we can start making arrangements from another supplier we will be delayed regardless.

EnlightenedMonk

we need a answer from USA are they supplying or not? if not we can start making arrangements from another supplier we will be delayed regardless.
Yep, but I suspect they will be supplying after all. GE is making huge losses and the government cannot let it or make it lose any more money... So, I guess that after a discrete interval the engines will be eventually supplied to us...

I think, as I had in my earlier post, that it's possibly only some over-enthusiastic, young, immature Defence Department or State Department official who's involved in this...

It'll pass over...

:):)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles