New DRDO projects

Discussion in 'Strategic Forces' started by Shadow, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Indx TechStyle

Indx TechStyle Perfaarmance Naarmal Senior Member

Mai bhi kitni baar bataun kitna kharab "mileage" hai iska?
    Armoured Personal Carrier?
    Indigenous design is news? It's even been materialized.

Hemu Vikram Aditya likes this.
  2. Scrutator

Scrutator Regular Member

I am not married to any name either! I am interested in EMP/uWave like technology. KALI is just a predecessor to what could/will come. I am not naive to suggest that it should be deployed in its current form (not sure why you keep bringing its teething problems!!). When Tejas was first unveiled (did not even fly but just taxied) everyone said it's a dud!!! That doesn't mean that the concept of fighter aircraft is obsolete or irrelevant!

Sure, they can dazzle the rowdy crowds during riots; look cute!!
    I can see how you're excited about the razzle-dazzle. But serious weaponry is not coming out of the laser stable.

Have you even contemplated how a laser beam can be steadily focussed on the same spot (literally a spot of about few inches) for several seconds when the object is moving at hypersonic speeds??
    Even US realized the impossibility of this and thought the best attack time would be the boost phase. So they mounted it on a 747 to seer the missile's fuel container just after its launch when the speed is minimal - and they still failed miserably!!

Well, what was I saying then? Civil projects get discussed, defense projects don't. If Parrikar is reticent then there's a non-civil purpose!!!

3. Scrutator

Scrutator Regular Member

Is that VRDE (it's part of DRDO)?

4. Indx TechStyle

I meant by totally civil factor.
    Details for AHWR or FBRs are usually kept behind curtain.

5. Scrutator

Scrutator Regular Member

High level designs are discussed and papers presented! Of course, the detailed designs are a secret.

All I am saying is if someone is the government was asked if Cryogenic engine would be used in a missile, they would just say that it's for civilian space exploration purpose and no 'national security' clause would have been invoked. The time this kind of 'shield' was used was for ATV (a la Arihant). Further, the question probably would not have been even raised in the parliament if there weren't an inkling that it could be!

6. Hemu Vikram Aditya

Hemu Vikram Aditya Senior Member Senior Member

No some civil company
    There name Starts with G

7. piKacHHu

piKacHHu Regular Member

I fared much better dude not only in school but in engineering entrance and in college as well that's why I have seen KALI so many times IN REAL and I know people who work with it... so don't be a smartass as you are pretending .... The things you are saying are notional and fanboy imagination at best. It seems your logical reasoning has gone for toss when you thought I was suggesting building Faraday's cage around a missile/aircraft. Faraday's cage is used to protect electronic circuits crucial for control not the whole body. Based on your comments I think you had taken Matrix Trilogy too seriously and began to feel your expertise on EMP subject matter. I would suggest to go through some REAL literature (I mean Journals not wikipedia) and do some analysis that why EMP is not weaponized even though it was discovered much earlier than the LASER technology? Why the directed energy weapon program uses laser in most of the projects rather than EMP based systems? And to quote you specifically, how to knock out electronics of the entire country with EMP or any fancy weapon other than Nuclear explosion?

8. piKacHHu

piKacHHu Regular Member

These are civil nuclear projects; most of the information is in public domain as these projects go through AERB approval process.. Radiation Impact assessment on public has to be done for them so they ought to churn out enough information for that projects. You may even find loads of information on the IAEA website through their tech docs.

Indx TechStyle likes this.
  9. Indx TechStyle

No

10. Scrutator

Scrutator Regular Member

I get it, you're an expert by association! You get to condescend on others because you have 'seen' things and 'know' people! Classic BS of worthless people!!

The topic being discussed was air defense et al. And you suggested that DEW weapon employed can be defeated by Faraday cage. What gives?

We'll try to put some samples of the newer development in technology on your drive to work, so you can claim to have 'seen' them. For you seeing is believing - who cares about knowing or worse understanding?

Perhaps with your divine power to 'see' and comprehend things, you could also add the skill to read. I have never stated any fancy idea about knocking out a country by EMP - it was your wild ass idea to explode a nuclear device above enemy territory to knock out their electronics! The topic of discussion was again air defense in which the required weapon will knock out a specific incoming aircraft/missile.

Even in fiction, there's never been the crazy idea of attacking an entire country with DEW - well, maybe I don't read your favorite comics!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  11. piKacHHu

piKacHHu Regular Member

I appreciate your enthusiasm regarding EMP and I hope you can enlighten us more if you pursue this subject seriously rather than throwing insults, mud slinging, non technical crap et.al.. Now to restore decorum in the debate you need to put forward your arguments you feel compelling about EMP but before that these are the following facts about EMP and its weaponisation efforts:

An Electromagnetic Pulse is a broad term that can cover both natural and man-made events that would cause a burst of electromagnetic energy, but for the purposes of this article, we will be looking at the most dangerous types of EMPs, nuclear electromagnetic pulses (NEMP) and high altitude nuclear EMPs (HEMP).

A nuclear electromagnetic pulse attack is a burst of Electromagnetic radiation that occurs following the detonation of a nuclear weapon. While this type of attack would cause serious trouble for any country targeted by this kind of weaponry, in the classical sense of an EMP attack we are not talking about the stereotypical imagery of a mushroom cloud followed by a wave of destruction. No, an EMP attack doesn’t target a landmass but instead targets the air over a country.
    http://offgridsurvival.com/emppreparedness/

The real danger comes from a nuclear weapon known as a high-altitude electromagnetic pulse (HEMP) device. Depending on the location of the detonation, and how powerful the device is, the effects of a HEMP would cause catastrophic damage to a country’s power grid and communications infrastructure.

So here is the argument in support of "the wild ass idea" which I was talking about. Believe it or not Nuclear EMPs are the most powerful EMPs. Apart from that, if you talk about other EMPs like high power microwave or burst X-rays, they need a huge set-up to generate a small pulse to be effective. Weaponisation is a Big issue that's why the argument of using a small nuclear device which can cause more damage as compared to Marx generator based DEWs (I hope you know some basic about Beam generator and Linear Accelerators) gained much credence in Pulse & Accelerator Technology. However it is not completely useless as this setup KALI is used to test device protection devices used against EMPs... Still a long way to go till we get a matured EMP based DEWs.

sayareakd likes this.
  12. Scrutator

Scrutator Regular Member

Ok, Dr.Strangelove!!! We're going in different tangents; not sure there's confluence!

I am talking about DIRECTED energy weapons (more specifically particle beams and possibly EMPs) for air/ballistic defense, and you're focused on offensive non-directed nuclear explosions. Just because it can be done doesn't mean it's wise to do!

I think we both agree on one thing that it's a long way to go before directed energy weapons are weaponized in any serious fashion. KALI is just one learning/stepping stone!

13. Shadow

Shadow Regular Member

@DRDO_India's Rudra M-II is a new air to surface missile under development at a cost of just under Rs 500 crores since 2016.

source:indiandefencereview.com

14. Hemu Vikram Aditya

Their name is Greaves Cotton..............

15. Hemu Vikram Aditya

The company name is Greaves Cotton

16. captscooby81

captscooby81 Senior Member Senior Member

NGARM and SAAW ...................................

NGARM.jpg

17. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

Check out @Nexoft000's Tweet:

kunal1123 and abingdonboy like this.
  18. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

QR-SAM is combo of Akash and prahaar missile TEL.

Willy2 likes this.
  19. Guest

Guest Regular Member

Akash mk2 may have similar TEL configuration- I hope 50km range is achieved- now that we already have 30km QR-SAM- Which makes Akash mk1 obsolete-

IndianHawk and rrrajesh.yadav like this.
  20. Bornubus

Bornubus Dogra Rule 1846-1949 Senior Member

Willy2, sthf, Johny_Baba and 3 others like this.