New DRDO projects

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
For Nuke delivery? Is another one required when we have Brahmos-A for the purpose (air-to-surface)?
You don't think it could be the improved NGARM?
M2k and Mig 29 cant carry Brahmos, so we need others. You may be right that it can be anti radation long range missile.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Static Testing of Large Solid Rocket Motor

A large case-bonded rocket motor of 12 T class was static tested successfully on 17 November 2016 at Advanced Centre for Energetic Materials(ACEM), Nasik. The composite case rocket motor was designed and realized indigenously and belongs to the Mark III version. The main objective of the static test was to validate the design for optimized EPDM insulation where a reduction of 80 kg was carried out compared to the Mark I version, and to evaluate the augmentation factors. The motor has a submerged nozzle with provision for actuation,which is also realized indigenously.The 12 T class solid rocket motor is one of the largest rocket motors with EPDM liner in a composite casing being processed in India. The propellant is based on hydroxyl terminated polybutadiene(HTPB)—Ammonium Perchlorate (AP)—Aluminium (Al)-based composition.
The complete process technology for realization of the solid rocket motor has been developed and matured at ACEM.

Scrutator

M2k and Mig 29 cant carry Brahmos, so we need others. You may be right that it can be anti radation long range missile.
Even though we may not need that many missile based air-to-surface delivery options, the upcoming Brahmos-NG may solve the issue with Mig-29 and Mirage-2000. 40 Su-30MKI (with 200 Brahmos-A) should be plenty for this mode of delivery (we probably don't have that many warheads to boot!). Jaguar and Mirage-2000s are rigged for gravity drop option.

Just got very curious about this Rudra M-II as it got the highest amount of funding!! Something damn important for sure!!!

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Just got very curious about this Rudra M-II as it got the highest amount of funding!! Something damn important for sure!!!
Yeah plus lot of other things going on, these projects get special allocation, thats say it all.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Static Testing of Large Solid Rocket Motor

A large case-bonded rocket motor of 12 T class was static tested successfully on 17 November 2016 at Advanced Centre for Energetic Materials(ACEM), Nasik. The composite case rocket motor was designed and realized indigenously and belongs to the Mark III version. The main objective of the static test was to validate the design for optimized EPDM insulation where a reduction of 80 kg was carried out compared to the Mark I version, and to evaluate the augmentation factors. The motor has a submerged nozzle with provision for actuation,which is also realized indigenously.The 12 T class solid rocket motor is one of the largest rocket motors with EPDM liner in a composite casing being processed in India. The propellant is based on hydroxyl terminated polybutadiene(HTPB)—Ammonium Perchlorate (AP)—Aluminium (Al)-based composition.
The complete process technology for realization of the solid rocket motor has been developed and matured at ACEM.
Any one has any idea what that is for? Looks like its for A6 SLBM or K5.

Scrutator

Any one has any idea what that is for? Looks like its for A6 SLBM or K5.
Probably an SLBM, given that it's of 12T weight class. But I don't follow what the big deal is in 80kg weight reduction!!!

Scrutator

KALI isn't a weapon, Dazzler, Aditya etc. are.

DRDO's CHESS has also made trailer based DEWs.
DRDO works on technologies with the ultimate aim of weaponizing them. Right now KALI is just an experimental technology demonstrator with the view to turn it into a DEW!
But we seem to digress, the question was if "EM gun with capacitor bank" project relates to the KALI project or something else.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
DRDO works on technologies with the ultimate aim of weaponizing them. Right now KALI is just an experimental technology demonstrator with the view to turn it into a DEW!
But we seem to digress, the question was if "EM gun with capacitor bank" project relates to the KALI project or something else.
Idiot! Difference between KALI is as great as between a nuclear reactor and a nuclear bomb.
We have extensive program for real DEW which don't have cooling problem like KALI.

I can't understand why are you dragging KALI here.
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/indian-laser-and-directed-energy-weapon-dew-thread.76144/
And sorry for being rude.

Scrutator

Idiot! Difference between KALI is as great as between a nuclear reactor and a nuclear bomb.
We have extensive program for real DEW which don't have cooling problem like KALI.

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/indian-laser-and-directed-energy-weapon-dew-thread.76144/
Who the fuck do you think you are? If you don't have basic understanding of physics and the process of weaponizing stuff then keep your fucking trap shut and go shit somewhere else. You asshole!!
And sorry for using expletives. Hope you're a big dude and didn't take it to heart.

Scrutator

Not sure if your piddly brain understands but it is easier to build a nuclear bomb than a nuclear reactor (given what I said, can your numskull even deduce which one was built first?)

If KALI had nothing to do with weapons, why would a bunch of MPs ask Parrikar if it would be inducted into the armed forces. And further why would Parrikar quote 'National Security' as the reason why he'll not answer questions on KALI?

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Who the fuck do you think you are? If you don't have basic understanding of physics and the process of weaponizing stuff then keep your fucking trap shut and go shit somewhere else. You asshole!!
And sorry for using expletives. Hope you're a big dude and didn't take it to heart.
Do you even know about the stuff you're talkin about like YouTube commentors?

Explain me your "basic Physics" by which you suggest KALI is a weapon?

I covered the most weapons in that thread, why are you insisting to bring KALI?
Not sure if your piddly brain understands but it is easier to build a nuclear bomb than a nuclear reactor (given what I said, can your numskull even deduce which one was built first?)
Matter isn't that.
Matter is for calling KALI a weapon mindlessly.
Developing 100kW or more powerful solid laser systems is an independent project.
If KALI had nothing to do with weapons, why would a bunch of MPs ask Parrikar if it would be inducted into the armed forces. And further why would Parrikar quote 'National Security' as the reason why he'll not answer questions on KALI?
Even your nuclear reactor has nothing to do with weapons, do you public it?

And we have discussed there in that thread too. If you would have read that, won't be asking such silly question.
On Topic: Let's stop abusing each other, it's about railgun project and I have links for Indian Electromagnetic Gun program.

Scrutator

Explain me your "basic Physics" by which you suggest KALI is a weapon?

I covered the most weapons in that thread, why are you insisting to bring KALI?

Matter isn't that.
Matter is for calling KALI a weapon mindlessly.
Developing 100kW or more powerful solid laser systems is an independent project.
Even your nuclear reactor has nothing to do with weapons, do you public it?

And we have discussed there in that thread too. If you would have read that, won't be asking such silly question.
On Topic: Let's stop abusing each other, it's about railgun project and I have links for Indian Electromagnetic Gun program.
Nothing becomes a weapon the moment you think about it!!! The technology involved in KALI can definitely be used as a weapon - the real status is unknown. That seems to give you the license to judge that it'll never become a weapon - that sounds simplistic!!

The technology involved in KALI is more likely to become a serious weapon than the laser stuff you folks keep drooling about!! Laser based air defense has been tried for decades, and has failed - the whole concept of seering through the metal covering of a missile/aircraft (while it's flying at supersonic speeds) has proved futile - it's now relegated to knocking out low flying and slow speed UAVs (a task that's easily accomplished via several other low cost techniques!). Even this BB gun version has not found favor among the armed forces!

EMP, particle beams are serious techniques to knock out supersonic missiles/aircrafts as they don't need to 'seer' the object for several seconds (but mere nanoseconds are enough)!!!! If EMP based missiles can be built to knock down ground radars, then why couldn't an EMP/ParticleBeam air defense be built to knock down missiles/aircraft. Before you come up with radiation hardening etc. let me tell you that despite what kind of hardening the body comprises they all need an outward looking radar/seeker etc!!!

Regarding nuclear reactors, there's never been any shyness in discussing it's research, installations, schedules etc - except when they go into defense applications (like the Arihant).
India's developing Thorium based nuclear reactors - there's no shyness in discussing that program, because it'll never be weaponized!!! India developed Cryogenic engines - there was not much secrecy as it would never go into a missile!!!

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Nothing becomes a weapon the moment you think about it!!! The technology involved in KALI can definitely be used as a weapon - the real status is unknown. That seems to give you the license to judge that it'll never become a weapon - that sounds simplistic!!
KALI needs damn high maintenance, at best for research purpose. Regarding using it as weapon, it will be obsolete if ever brought.
India derived nuke from reactors because it hadn't, but as India got solid systems, what's need of pulling KALI here.

Apply logic instead of being judgemental.
"Tecgnology used in KALI can be used as a weapon."
Yes, it can be, may be obsolete but it can be.
But why you are dragging it here when we can have much better systems which are smaller enough to fit on trailers, planes, ships, trucks and don't need much cooling and maintenance?
KALI's plus points lag far behind cost of it's maintenance. India won't use it as a weapon.
But as technology involved can help to make building blocks of DEW program, government won't public it.
The technology involved in KALI is more likely to become a serious weapon than the laser stuff you folks keep drooling about!!
Laser based air defense has been tried for decades, and has failed - the whole concept of seering through the metal covering of a missile/aircraft (while it's flying at supersonic speeds) has proved futile - it's now relegated to knocking out low flying and slow speed UAVs (a task that's easily accomplished via several other low cost techniques!). Even this BB gun version has not found favor among the armed forces!
I can understand what you're saying because KALI being 100s of times powerful but I can't get why you're calling it failed, we have already got against drones.
Not favourable among armed forces? it's not even two years when it was materialized and tested, still in development.
Regrding shooting down big aircrafts and missiles, I have cited about a 1000kW solid DEW system earlier which will be as powerful as KALI but would really be usable, maintenable & transportable. But this is not KALI, that's other weapon.
EMP, particle beams are serious techniques to knock out supersonic missiles/aircrafts as they don't need to 'seer' the object for several seconds (but mere nanoseconds are enough)!!!! If EMP based missiles can be built to knock down ground radars, then why couldn't an EMP/ParticleBeam air defense be built to knock down missiles/aircraft. Before you come up with radiation hardening etc. let me tell you that despite what kind of hardening the body comprises they all need an outward looking radar/seeker etc!!!
But the weapon you cited is most likely ARDE's Railgun project. I have even tender issued for some testing infra!
Regarding nuclear reactors, there's never been any shyness in discussing it's research, installations, schedules
Pretty sure about that?:biggrin2:

Scrutator

KALI needs damn high maintenance, at best for research purpose. Regarding using it as weapon, it will be obsolete if ever brought.
India derived nuke from reactors because it hadn't, but as India got solid systems, what's need of pulling KALI here.
And high powered lasers don't? Power is power! If you're discharging a certain amount of charge (from the capacitor banks) it's is bound to heat stuff up and will need cooling - irrespectivehy of if you're converting that charge to light, uWaves, electron beams or EMP!!! In fact all that Z-pinch needs is capacitance discharge - no other solid state devices is required!!!

"Tecgnology used in KALI can be used as a weapon."Yes, it can be, may be obsolete but it can be.
Obsolete? There's no weapon anywhere in the world like that!!!

But why you are dragging it here when we can have much better systems which are smaller enough to fit on trailers, planes, ships, trucks and don't need much cooling and maintenance?
Name something that will shoot down hypersonic missiles several hundreds of kilometers away in nanoseconds. Issues with cooling etc are things that need to be worked on. Perhaps cryogenic cooling could be an option instead of 12,000 liters of oil!!! Please don't say lasers!!

KALI's plus points lag far behind cost of it's maintenance. India won't use it as a weapon.
Who's being judgmental?

I can understand what you're saying because KALI being 100s of times powerful but I can't get why you're calling it failed, we have already got against drones.
Not favourable among armed forces? it's not even two years when it was materialized and tested, still in development.
Laser technology maybe new to DRDO but not to the world of physics! If you just start working on alchemy today, should folks give you few years before you realize your folly? Lasers for air defense has been beaten to death by US, spent several tens of billions and several decades on it. All they have right now is a cute BB gun - that's not finding any favors!! I don't even know why you guys are so sure that DRDO is invested in this type of laser weapons. Despite their tardiness and failures, I think DRDO is smart enough to know the limitations of laser technology; I don't think they're working extensively to that front other than the cute dazzlers etc.

Regrding shooting down big aircrafts and missiles, I have cited about a 1000kW solid DEW system earlier which will be as powerful as KALI but would really be usable, maintenable & transportable. But this is not KALI, that's other weapon.
You keep quoting power. But what about effectiveness?? Ultimately the laser ray has to be incident on exactly the same spot for several seconds to cut through the metal covering of the missile (while it's hurtling down on you at hypersonic speed). Who thinks that's easy-peasy?

But the weapon you cited is most likely ARDE's Railgun project. I have even tender issued for some testing infra!
Probably is. I am completely down with rail guns!! The science, technology and the mechanics work!! And it's a low cost and effective weapon!!

Pretty sure about that?:biggrin2:
Other than proprietary design details, BARC is not too shy talking about their heavy water reactors or the work on the thorium based reactors!

Last edited:

piKacHHu

Country flag
upload_2017-2-10_10-50-11.png

This is a little detail about KALI over which you can debate upon. There are some misconceptions regarding this project; first, it is not related to weapon development program; its not a even a TD for some upcoming weapon projects. Its a facility to test and understand the phenomenon of electron beam generation as shown in the highlighted part. The flash X-ray and high power microwave they are talking could be potentially used for EMP sort of things which DRDO will develop further (based on its feasibility) to get a weaponized version. But before weaponization, you need to have full knowledge about the phenomenon of beam generation and its effect on the targeted objects which this facility is trying to do. EMP is not a novel stuff; infact every nuclear blast triggers an EMP generation so its relatively easier to blast a a small kiloton device high on the sky of enemy territory to disrupt the electronics and electrical installations rather to build a dedicated beam generator which would be bulky and hard to transport. And of course, EMP is not something which cant be defeated. As you might have learned in elementary science, electric field cant travel through the metallic conductor so couldn't the EMP.. you can read about Faraday's Cage to learn the concept.

Last edited:

Scrutator

View attachment 13740

This is a little detail about KALI over which you can debate upon. There are some misconceptions regarding this project; first, it is not related to weapon development program; its not a even a TD for some upcoming weapon projects. Its a facility to test and understand the phenomenon of electron beam generation as shown in the highlighted part. The flash X-ray and high power microwave they are talking could be potentially used for EMP sort of things which DRDO will develop further (based on its feasibility) to get a weaponized version. But before weaponization, you need to have full knowledge about the phenomenon of beam generation and its effect on the targeted objects which this facility is trying to do. EMP is not a novel stuff; infact every nuclear blast triggers an EMP generation so its relatively easier to blast a a small kiloton device high on the sky of enemy territory to disrupt the electronics and electrical installations rather to build a dedicated beam generator which would be bulky and hard to transport. And of course, EMP is not something which cant be defeated. As you might have learned in elementary science, electric field cant travel through the metallic conductor so couldn't the EMP.. you can read about Faraday's Cage to learn the concept.
Well, there's a 'nuclear' option for everything - it would be wise not to use it though!!!
You cannot build a faraday cage around the entire aircraft/missile!! They'll need an outward looking radar/seeker/antenna at the minimum - which cannot be behind a Faraday cage (as you probably already learnt in your elementary school). That's how you attack them!
Every piece of technology starts out as something benign before it's weaponized (nuclear bomb being an exception!!)
Not sure how you fared on math in your last attended school (elementary that is); but a kiloton of nuclear explosion will not knock out the electronics of the entire country.

Last edited:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
And high powered lasers don't? Power is power! If you're discharging a certain amount of charge (from the capacitor banks) it's is bound to heat stuff up and will need cooling - irrespectivehy of if you're converting that charge to light, uWaves, electron beams or EMP!!! In fact all that Z-pinch needs is capacitance discharge - no other solid state devices is required!!!
If it eats more than it gives, it won't be used as weapon.
Obsolete? There's no weapon anywhere in the world like that!!!
KALI itself isn't a weapon, India needs and studying weapon a weapon as powerful as KALI which isn't bulky, won't require such high cooling & maintenance & can be mounted on ships.

What will be the advantage of KALI it takes hours after firing ones? If it can't be easily transported. Military needs mobility man! That's why they don't ask for PSLV but Agni 5.
Name something that will shoot down hypersonic missiles several hundreds of kilometers away in nanoseconds. Issues with cooling etc are things that need to be worked on. Perhaps cryogenic cooling could be an option instead of 12,000 liters of oil!!! Please don't say lasers!!
I just say it isn't KALI. A 1,000kW directed energy weapon.
Who's being judgmental?
You, you just want it in military ignoring every serious limitation.
I don't think they're working extensively to that front other than the cute dazzlers etc.
Much beyond that you think. If US can beat lasers, not necessary that every country will. Posted about bigger ones on thread, besides Dazzler & Aditya, next one is 100kW.

India is going to start inducting them from 2024-25.
You keep quoting power. But what about effectiveness?? Ultimately the laser ray has to be incident on exactly the same spot for several seconds to cut through the metal covering of the missile (while it's hurtling down on you at hypersonic speed). Who thinks that's easy-peasy?
Ever heard of Durga?
Other than proprietary design details, BARC is not too shy talking about their heavy water reactors or the work on the thorium based reactors!
Completely civil project and that even "discussing". I know about a few more reactor programs.

Last edited:

Hemu Vikram Aditya

Country flag
If it eats more than it gives, it won't be used as weapon.

KALI itself isn't a weapon, India needs and studying weapon a weapon as powerful as KALI which isn't bulky, won't require such high cooling & maintenance & can be mounted on ships.

What will be the advantage of KALI it takes hours after firing ones? If it can't be easily transported. Military needs mobility man! That's why they don't ask for PSLV but Agni 5.

I just say it isn't KALI. A 1,000kW directed energy weapon.

You, you just want it in military ignoring every serious limitation.
Much beyond that you think. If US can beat lasers, not necessary that every country will. Posted about bigger ones on thread, besides Dazzler & Aditya, next one is 100kW.

India is going to start inducting them from 2024-25.

Ever heard of Durga.
Completely civil project and that even "discussing". I know about a few more reactor programs.
Are bhai kit I baaar bataou Kali can be used as a Microwave Weapon

And I Just saw that Some Indian Company is making land based engine for THE INDEGENIOUS APC

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles