New Deoband chief lauds Modi's Gujarat

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by thakur_ritesh, Jan 19, 2011.

1. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

SURAT: The new Darul Uloom vice-chancellor, Maulana Ghulam Mohammed Vastanvi, said "all communities" are prospering in Narendra Modi's Gujarat and there was "no discrimination against the minorities in the state as far as development was concerned." He was talking to TOI here on Tuesday.

This is arguably the most significant endorsement of Modi. Darul Uloom, based in Deoband in Uttar Pradesh, is a leading Islamic seminary in India and the fount of the Deobandi thought, which has adherants well beyond the country's borders, especially in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Vastanvi, himself a Gujarati from Surat, is an MBA graduate and has been instrumental in introducing modern subjects in institutions run by Darul Uloom in Gujarat and Maharashtra, including medicine, engineering and allied subjects. His recent election as the Darul Uloom chief is seen as a possible change catalyst in this conservative seminary.

It's not easy for the man holding this chair to be charitable towards Modi, the person who has been accused of persecuting Muslims during and after the 2002 Gujarat riots. Asked about the riots, Vastanvi didn't give Modi a clean chit, but stressed that it was now time to move on.

"The issue is almost eight years old now and we should move forward," Vastanvi told TOI on Tuesday. "Rioting anywhere — in Gujarat or in any other part of the world — is bad for humanity and it should never happen. Gujarat riots were a blemish for India and all culprits should be punished."

Vastanvi said "there are not as many problems in Gujarat as has been projected." Asked about justice for the Gujarat riot victims, he said the riots had worsened "because the police did not act due to political pressure during those days".

But he differed with what many activists working among the riot victims or the UPA government at the Centre claim about continuing discrimination against Muslims in Gujarat. He said, "As far as relief work riot is concerned, it has been carried out very well by government and people of Gujarat."

The Deoband chief has obviously been impressed by the economic progress of Gujarat. He said, "Development has undoubtedly taken place in Gujarat and we hope it will continue. I ask Muslims to study well. The government is ready to offer jobs (to them), but for that, they need good education."

Vastanvi hails from Vastan village near Surat and his initiation into Islamic studies began at a seminary here.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...Gujarat/articleshow/7315607.cms#ixzz1BTqiGszR

3. JBH22

JBH22 Senior Member Senior Member

A slap in the face for Congress specially to the one who shouted maut ke saudagar slogan, a kick in the ass for so called NGOs with an agenda like Teesta Satalwad and a punch to Karan Thapar,Vir Sanghvi,Barkha Dutt the self righteous gurus of Indian media

4. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Perfect example of how people can twist the interpretation. The deoband guy has hailed the economic state and aid handed to riot victims. Not exonerated Modi of his involvement in riots or otherwise. So no its not a slap on anybody's face but just plain stating of fact of good economic progress in Gujarat under Modis leadership.

5. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

ha ha ha...Yusuf, will Modi be ever exonerated from his involvement regardless of the evidence or lack of it....??
    If some people have simply come to ASSUME that Modi is guilty and 'maut ka saudagar', then no amount of evidence will suffice to convince them to the contridictory conclusion...

The tragedy is that the assumption seems to be based on the propaganda of those who are themselves under the radar.

Tshering22 likes this.
  6. JBH22

NOT twisted any fact he said that its time to move on then said all communities are prospering contrary to popular belief that some community are being forced in ghettos

7. Yusuf

Yes people have moved on. Life does not stay standstill. But it still does not exonerate anyone of his crimes. Have people forgotten 84? No we have not. why this hypocrisy? So no don't give an interpretation that is not valid. modi certainly is doing a great job with Gujarats economy and credit is been given where it is due.

8. johnee

Your whole stance can be summed up as 'guilty until proved otherwise'!!! This is strange since there seems to be no rationale behind assuming that Modi has committed any crime especially since those(like Teesta) who where slinging the mud and dirt stand exposed. Yet, you continue with your unreasonable stand that Modi must prove himself innocent. On the contrary, it is the modi-bashers who need to prove that Modi is guilty of any crime at all.

9. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

I hope Congress can stop playing its dirty religion politics now and move on. They must accept that they cannot do anything other than watch, envy and spread hate against a patriotic leader like Narendra Modi who is now making Gujarat compete with China while rest of the states that are ruled by Congress are still mired in who eats the first biryaani and kabab on Eid or who attends Dusshera (wink wink Antonia madam :D). All while NaMo has turned Gujarat into the powerhouse of India, followed and inspiring Nitish to do the same.

Congress is dying its own death by the trap of religion politics that it created attempting to give a lefty impression against India's ancient culture that people of all faiths acknowledge and consider it as our heritage. Down with those who looted us for 62 years.

JBH22 likes this.
  10. Yusuf

I am not going to start this again and never been interested in it anyways. I was talking from the PoV how people give an interpretation to suit their thinking. I have never been interested in religion and the politics played over it. And no I have not pronounced modi as guilty or otherwise. Note my post, I talked about interpretation of the statement issued. Nothing else.

11. johnee

Heres from Wiki:

Now, has Modi been convicted in the first place to be exonerated?!! Or is conviction not required in the case of Modi?

12. JBH22

it seems then that people have forgotten the victims of godhra.So you also don't extrapolate the 2002 event with 1984 events

13. Yusuf

Like I said before, I never get sucked into such discussions as I am not interested in it. You can pick out all the incidents of last 1000 years. I was talking only about the interpretation given to a statement issued. That is it. Beyond that talk as much as you want and bash whoever you want. Be my guest.

14. johnee

Ideally, the terminology should be godhra attack(where muslims attacked karsevaks) and post-godhra riots(where muslims died majorly). Now, this cannot be equated with 1984 anti-sikh riots by congress workers(which included both the muslims and hindus). The former was public riot and later was a political perpetuation. Politicians must be held responsible for political perpetuations. But how can the politician be held responsible for general riot when there is no proof that the politician acted in a biased manner?

15. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Move ahead, leave Gujarat riots behind: Deoband Rector

Patna: A week after getting elected as rector (vice-chancellor) of Darul Uloom Deoband, Maulana Ghulam Mohammed Vastanvi, seems to have courted a controversy by saying All is Well in Gujarat under chief minister Narendra Modi, an accused in the 2002 anti-Muslim pogrom.

A leading English daily quoted the Maulana in a news report on 19th Jan. 2011 as saying: All communities are prospering in Gujarat and there is no discrimination against the minorities in the state as far as development is concerned.

When TwoCircles.net contacted MBA degree holder Maulana Vastanvi to verify his statement in Times of India the Surat (Gujarat)-based cleric said: “Muslims are doing businesses here. They are getting education. There has been no violence in the last eight years. They are living peacefully in Gujarat. Now tell me my son, what should I say? Should I say Muslims are oppressed here, they are facing atrocities. If I say so, Modi will ask me where are the oppressed Muslims, and then how many such Muslims will stand behind me?

“Why should I create a controversy by saying everything is wrong in the state and nothing is good for Muslims?” he asked.

On the Gujarat riots also he reiterated his views: The riots happened eight years ago. It was wrong. It brought bad repute to the state and the country. “But what should we do now? Should we sit and weep or should we move ahead? But it does not mean the guilty should not be punished. Those involved in the riots should be punished and justice should reach the victims,” said Maulana Vastanvi who has been elected rector of Deoband after the death of Maulana Marghoobur Rahman last month.

However, on the issue of relief to riot victims, the Maulana said his complete views were not published by the paper. “As far as relief work riot is concerned, it has been carried out very well by government and people of Gujarat,” the TOI had quoted him as saying.

When TCN asked him how he can say so when several hundreds of riot victims are still reported to be living in relief camps, the Maulana said this was not his complete view. “I had also said that the victims should be rehabilitated. Houses should be built for those whose homes were looted, put on fire and destroyed,” he said.

According to the Maulana, he had also demanded release of innocent Muslim youths who have been put behind bars in terror cases but this also did not get space. There are hundreds of Muslims languishing in Gujarat jails in terror cases.

16. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Modi will never be relieved of his past actions....he can never be relieved just like how certain congress leaders cant be forgiven for sikh killings.

Even though he is doing good work now.

17. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Agree 100%.

Said that, just because Gujarat and Gujaratis are prospering (including Muslims), does not mean Modi is a Saint. He deserves credit for industrialising Gujarat. He also deserves criticism for failing to stop the riots, to put it mildly. What he did was nothing different from Huseyn Shaheed Suhrawardy, who, on Direct Action Day, deliberately delayed ordering the police onto the roads and enforcing curfew in order to effect maximum carnage. The yardsticks of justice cannot be different for persons of different faiths.

18. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Great that Muslims are also progressing by way of economic development. Modi is a good administrator. I wish he was that good a CM, back in those days.

19. Oracle

Oracle New Member

'Gujarat riots were unfortunate, but Muslims need to move on'

Maulana Gulam Mohammad Vastanvi, the vice chancellor of Darul Uloom Deoband, on Thursday clarified that he will not resign from his post.

Vastanvi had faced strong criticism for his alleged comments about Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi. The Urdu press had quoted the Maulana as saying that Muslims should forget the post-2002 Godhra communal riots and move on. He also reportedly said that the community did not face discrimination in Gujarat.

Speaking to rediff.com on the telephone from Vadodara in Gujarat, the VC said that he had not put in his papers, but had "merely told reporters he was considering it."

The cleric told rediff.com that he did say that Modi had brought development to Gujarat but "never said that the Muslim community did not face discrimination in the state."

"I never gave a clean chit to Narendra Modi. All I said was that he had brought development to the state. The statements I made were badly misrepresented in the Urdu press. You can read the interview I gave to that Urdu newspaper. In that, not even in a single place can you see me give a clean chit to Modi. Yes, the riots were extremely unfortunate and unfair to Muslims. They do need justice for it, but in the meantime, they need to move on as well," Vastanvi told rediff.com.

Speaking about his earlier decision to quit as the VC, Vastanvi said that he wanted to resign keeping the welfare of the students at Deoband in mind.

"Darul Uloom is a big institution with a lot of students. Because of the controversy I found myself in, I did not want to affect the welfare of my students. I had not put in my papers; I had merely told reporters that I was considering it. Hearing the news, many of my well wishers in Deoband and other places advised me not to (resign), as I could really contribute to Deoband with my experience and bring in some positive changes. They showed me that my resignation will not solve anything and that I could help more if I stayed on. So I decided not to tender my resignation. Of course, the Majlis-e-Soora (governing council) is meeting on February 23 to take a decision on this. Till then, I will continue as the VC," Vastanvi said.

Vastanvi, who was elected VC on January 10, faced protests from students at the 200-year-old seminary after news about his reported remarks spread.

"Yes, there was some violence and I was upset about it. In fact, those protests were one of the primary reasons I wanted to quit. But my well-wishers made me see that there are a lot of students in this institution and hardly some 15-20 students protested. They were, no doubt, provoked, but the majority did not protest. So I decided to stay on for them," Vastanvi said.

Vastanvi, who is not a traditional cleric, is active on social networking sites and also holds a MBA. He has also faced opposition for not being a Qasimi (a follower of the founder of Deoband, Maulana Qasim Nanautvi), though he has been with the Deoband since 1998.

Vastanvi arrived in Vadodara on Thursday from Delhi.

Speaking of the warm reception he received in Vadodara, he said, "There were a large number of people who gave me a warm welcome when I came. I hope I will receive the love and care of people in the future as well."

Source

P.S.: This guy got balls.

20. Flint

Flint Senior Member Senior Member

If he can modernize that dinosaur institution, then all power to him. Students at Deoband are stuck in dark ages.

21. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

There are many dinosaur institutions in India.

Hope they all reform and see light!