New born survives after fall from the train

Discussion in 'Defence & Strategic Issues' started by Pintu, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Pintu

Pintu New Member

A new born baby survives miraculously after fall from train....

3. Pintu

Pintu New Member

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Nation | Mom snatches baby from death, dad loses mobile

Mom snatches baby from death, dad loses mobile

OUR SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT

[​IMG]
    Bhola Rai and Rinku with their baby
    (extreme left) at the Purulia hospital.
    Picture by Mita Roy

Purulia, Oct. 8: Bhola Rai’s wife and their newborn were safe even after a fall from a running train. But not his mobile and cash.

The man whose wife jumped out of the train after her baby delivered in the toilet fell through the chute on Tuesday night today found somebody had stolen his mobile and Rs 3,000 from his pockets.

Bhola was sleeping at the Purulia hospital where wife Rinku and their baby had been kept for observation after their miraculous survival. He woke up this morning to find both items gone.

There were around 10 other persons spending the night in the shed meant for patients’ relatives at the Debendra Mahato District Hospital.

“Some miscreant must have taken my phone and money. I’m in a fix as I won’t be able to buy the required medicines. I won’t also be able to contact my relatives in Orissa or Bihar as most of the numbers were stored in my phone,” the worried father said.

The couple from Orissa’s Sundergarh were going to Jhajha in Bihar on the Tata-Chhapra Express with their four-year-old daughter when Rinku delivered the baby in the toilet. Doctors said it was a case of precipitate labour.

But succour for Bhola after the theft came quicker than he may have expected. The hospital authorities and railway officials at Purulia, where the family was brought after the fortuitous escape, and a few local youth organisations played Good Samaritans. It helped that the Rais were already famous, their escape story filling channels and news pages.

Purulia station manager S.P Majumdar, who had arranged treatment for the mother and the baby immediately after their arrival here, today told the Rais they could stay at the furnished waiting room as long as they were in town. “We will also make all travel arrangements for them when they leave,” he said. The joint secretary of the railwaymen’s union (Purulia unit) offered Bhola fruits and money. Volunteers of the DYFI, the CPM youth wing, chipped in with medicines.

Doctors had said yesterday that they needed to keep the baby boy — who didn’t even have a scratch on his body despite the fall —under observation for 48 hours.

“When the father said he wanted to continue with his journey to Jhajha, we initially agreed to let them go but then had second thoughts. We weren’t sure whether the baby had suffered internal injuries after it fell on the tracks,” said hospital superintendent Swapan Sarkar.

It will be careless if the checks aren’t done, he suggested. “If the baby could live virtually unscathed through the fall, it will be bad if oversights in medical procedure harm the baby in any way. So we have decided to form a medical board headed by paediatrician Tushar Dutta,” Sarkar said.