New Assault Rifles for Indian Army

Which Contender`s Rifle has more chances of winning than others?

• Total voters

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Now a days many editors are video game players and fanboys accordingly and older once looking for easy cash via some firms around, Non of these above do own certificate for defense journalism or understand it ..

As per ibtimes, Amogh too is on the top five contenders of the list.

Indian Army wants new close-quarter battle carbines; here are the five best options

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/indian-arm...le-carbines-here-are-five-best-options-710701
http://www.ibtimes.co.in/indian-army-wants-new-close-quarter-battle-carbines-here-are-five-best-options-710701
But here too I think the article and its contender are based on writers choice rather then facts.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Read the article,and the five BEST options mentioned by writer has already failed in trials by Indian army (except Amogh - which was downed by army in favour of MSMC as i read somewhere).

As DM Parrikar has given 4 months to OFB to sort out problems with current AR design (i guess it is for MCIWS),I have an idea.

There are various small arms companies around the globe which produces both Kalashnikov and AR-10/AR-15 based rifles for civilians (majority of them are in USA,but some of them are based outta US too).Some of them are so small that they sell only one or two products (with numbers of total employees around 40 to 50).

Say,Can't we own one firm with its whole manufacturing facilities?

For Example,
The XCR(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robinson_Armament_XCR) is the rifle made by Robinson arms Co. in USA,which participated in SCAR competitions but disqualified from it because lack of availability of blank firing adapters at the time.Now it is a complete firearm with many interesting features.It is a multi-caliber design which can accept 5.56 x 45 mm NATO,6.8 x 43 mm and 7.62 x 39 mm (with minor parts changes) in variant 'L' while variant 'M' is for 7.62 x 51 mm NATO.

XCR-L chambered in 5.56 x 45 mm

XCR-M chambered in 7.62 x 51 mm

We have done same thing before when we acquired whole manufacturing facility from John Inglis co. based in Toronto,Canada to manufacture Canadian variant of Browning Hi-Power here and named it Pistol Auto 9mm 1A.

This particular rifle is excellent in my opinion and i guess it can fulfill our requirements as a combat rifle.

[This is just an example.I still support our own designs over these pardeshi designs].

Another thing we could do is to modernise those battle-proven SLRs.

I hope MCIWS gets cleared by our Defence ministry and soon become available to our soldiers.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
most of the small Firms dont develop & manufacture new riffles ...............they just modify existing riffles .............they dont spend money in metallurgy & mechanism .
Agreed.

But here's another thing.

Since advent of firearms,many mechanisms have been proposed to create an automatic rifle and majority of them got filtered in favour of battle proven mechanisms.Kalashnikov's simple and reliable mechanism is one of them (Another one is of AR-15s).So rather to develop whole new firing mechanisms,they pick from already existing successful designs and create (or try to create) a 'new' weapon which might have one or two improvements over original design.

Even INSAS is heavily inspired from kalashnikov (Trigger mechanism,receiver,bolt and bolt carrier,gas operated long stroke mechanism,pistol grip etc.),and we can see from a gif posted somewhere in Multi-cal rifle thread,MCIWS has borrowed its trigger mechanism from kalashnikov,while receiver design from AR-15.

As for speaking XCR,It participated with Bushmaster ACR and FN SCAR in a competition where it get disqualified due to unavailability of blank firing adapters for it at that time,not for being a bad rifle so it is a military grade rifle (unfortunately,being sold to civilians as one needs to run the company).

Last edited:

AbRaj

Country flag
@Kunal Biswas
Sir can't we use FAL as DMR/sniper rifle ?
If the M14 :
I am reposting an example one member on another forum have suggested
M14

can turn into mk14 Mod 0 EBR

Why can these the SLR

Turn into something like this

Is not it convenient of IA to do something like this ??

El_mag

Country flag
If we can modify our SLRs not only into sniper versions with bipods and good scopes then would give us a good cheap sniper rifle.
Not only that but I am sure there was an auto version of the FNFAL, if we can modify & modernise the Furniture then we could have 7.62 x 51mm assault rifle as well. The challenge will be to make the barrel shorter with good recoil management.

AbRaj

Country flag
If we can modify our SLRs not only into sniper versions with bipods and good scopes then would give us a good cheap sniper rifle.
Not only that but I am sure there was an auto version of the FNFAL, if we can modify & modernise the Furniture then we could have 7.62 x 51mm assault rifle as well. The challenge will be to make the barrel shorter with good recoil management.
Why short barrel? Sniper usually have longer barrel

Chinmoy

Country flag
@Kunal Biswas
Sir can't we use FAL as DMR/sniper rifle ?
If the M14 :
I am reposting an example one member on another forum have suggested
M14

can turn into mk14 Mod 0 EBR

Why can these the SLR

Turn into something like this

Is not it convenient of IA to do something like this ??
Its one of the novel idea and actually it is the way to move forward with any weapon design. But here we have to keep it in mind that this time IA had asked for bolt action. SLR is gas operated and hence would need a major overhaul to meet the need.
Best bet would be to go for Ishapore 2A1. It could be modified into a world class Marksman rifle with few modification of the barrel and firing chamber.
SLR could be well modified into gas operated marksmen rifle with modified barrel.

AbRaj

Country flag
Its one of the novel idea and actually it is the way to move forward with any weapon design. But here we have to keep it in mind that this time IA had asked for bolt action. SLR is gas operated and hence would need a major overhaul to meet the need.
Best bet would be to go for Ishapore 2A1. It could be modified into a world class Marksman rifle with few modification of the barrel and firing chamber.
SLR could be well modified into gas operated marksmen rifle with modified barrel.
Do we import SVDs or locally produce them?
And what abt SLR ?
Is ishapote 2A1 Indian design?

Chinmoy

Country flag
Do we import SVDs or locally produce them?
And what abt SLR ?
Is ishapote 2A1 Indian design?
Can't say anything about import on SVD. Although we do licence produce it.
1A1 is indigenous version of SLR. Its still in active use. We could easily modify it.
Ishapore 2A1 is indigenous version of Springfield. Its a world class weapon on its own. Slight modification in right place could make them world beater.
Best thing is all of these does fire 7.62x51 NATO round.

ghost

DRDO should hire some experts from Finland ,USA,Israel or Russia for designing ,developing small arms and preparing our next generation for the same.I am not doubting the ability of our scientist ,but no one can deny that these countries do have some of the finest in this field,no harm in utilizing their knowledge;they can work in conjunction with our scientist .As we are not looking solely to produce small arms for ourselves but to become an export hub .

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Indian exports are ban by GOI and only limited to Gov- Gov to friendly countries ..

GOI is self centric in manufacturing arms and for only its own forces ..

AbRaj

Country flag
SVD and its ammunition all are imported, Their is always shortage of ammunition of this weapon so does the weapon itself ..
Sir what are minimum changes required to use SLR as DMR at least as interim solution. I mean bare bone minimum apart from scope

ghost

@Johny_Baba ARX 160 and galil ace both had passed the carbine trials,arx was dropped due to some problem with the sight attached to it. Galil ace was finalized for purchase, but then put on hold due to corruption allegation.

The very fact that the carbine purchase will be through GTG route makes it clear that there is no scope of Amogh.I doubt the report of amogh being in the competition ever,the requirement was of 5.56x45mm while Amogh is 5.56x30mm.

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
Sir what are minimum changes required to use SLR as DMR at least as interim solution. I mean bare bone minimum apart from scope
Change in barrel.

Please enter a message with at least 30 characters.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Light trigger, would be most important change that could possibly there to convert a Service AR into DMR ..

Chinmoy

Country flag
Light trigger, would be most important change that could possibly there to convert a Service AR into DMR ..
Apart from that, I think a modified barrel too would improve its accuracy over longer distance a lot. Right now its a battle rifle which fired the full powered 7.62 NATO round. In other words its an enlarged version of AR. To be a DMR we do need to increase its accuracy over distance. Rifling the barrel should help in this regard or am I missing something?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles