New Assault Rifles for Indian Army

Which Contender`s Rifle has more chances of winning than others?

• Total voters

pmaitra

lemontree

Professional
Still there is nothing that comes close to the L1A1SLR. It is a one shot kill rifle...and nothing in the market comes close to the 1B 7.62 mm LMG.

blueblood

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Actually, accuracy is more on the adaptability of the firer.

I was a Silver Spoon in the IMA with the .303, but I could not quite perform that well with the SLR sight!

In India, we can only have semi automatic.

Our mountainous regions do not lend well to instant and timely re-supply.

Efficient use of ammunition becomes a watchword.

Hence, the slogan EK GOLI, EK DUSHMAN!

Last edited:

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Actually, accuracy is more on the adaptability of the firer.

I was a Silver Spoon in the IMA with the .303, but I could not quite perform that well with the SLR sight!

In India, we can only have semi automatic.

Efficient use of ammunition becomes a watchword.

Hence, the slogan EK GOLI, EK DUSHMAN!
Well for that reason a lighter gun and lighter rounds should be really good. So, a bullpup rifle (like the Steyr AUG or the FN-2000 at 3.5 kg) to replace INSAS (4.2 kg) and 5.56 NATO (5.56x45mm, 4.1 gms) rounds to replace Russian 7.62 rounds (11.3 gms) should be the new procurement for Indian Army. Troops can carry a more complete lighter gun (with grenade launcher) and more rounds (almost 3 times as many).

pmaitra

Still there is nothing that comes close to the L1A1SLR. It is a one shot kill rifle...and nothing in the market comes close to the 1B 7.62 mm LMG.
Is that the Bren (in blue)? Yes, it is amazing how easily one can switch barrels. I did it with ease when I was a teenager. Never got to shoot one though [sigh]!

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
Well for that reason a lighter gun and lighter rounds should be really good. So, a bullpup rifle (like the Steyr AUG or the FN-2000 at 3.5 kg) to replace INSAS (4.2 kg) and 5.56 NATO (5.56x45mm, 4.1 gms) rounds to replace Russian 7.62 rounds (11.3 gms) should be the new procurement for Indian Army. Troops can carry a more complete lighter gun (with grenade launcher) and more rounds (almost 3 times as many).
you didn't get the point...i do not think u have ever fired a rifle before(no offense)

it does not matter if you are using bull-pup rifle or regular rifle. what matter here is if you are shooting in full auto/semi or 3 burst mode...

you will spray bullet all over the place and hit very very few targets when u shoot in full auto... you will hit almost every target when you shoot 3 burst and semi will ensure, one shot one kill policy...

in full auto, as soon as you press the hammer, your gun will fire and before you get a chance to release your finger from hammer, the gun might have already fired 3-7 rounds for no reason. this will result in ammo wastage.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Is that the Bren (in blue)? Yes, it is amazing how easily one can switch barrels. I did it with ease when I was a teenager. Never got to shoot one though [sigh]!
Where did you get that training?

pmaitra

Where did you get that training?
Back home in India with the NCC by the 49th Bengal Battalion of the Gurkha Regiment.

P.S.: My dad was trained on the Bren though. He was posted in Punjab during the 1971-72 Indo-Pak War. He was working in a bank and all government employees (banks, post office, railways etc.) were asked to form a civilian militia just in case the Pakistanis managed to come closer to the cities. My dad had (still has) poor eye-sight so he was made the machine-gunner. Fortunately, our army successfully repelled and defeated the Pakistani Army and my dad did not see combat. :)

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Actually a machine gunner should have good eyesight.

One can do with the handicap in rifles, but MGs are at a premium. :)

pmaitra

Actually a machine gunner should have good eyesight.

One can do with the handicap in rifles, but MGs are at a premium. :)
I guess they let it slide for militia. :)

My dad now has one brown eye and one blue eye, just like a Siberian Husky. He had a cornea grafting operation to remove the old cornea that had a scratch from my dad's friend's baby's nails. :) It's a long story. In any case, he was made the machine-gunner only because of his eyesight. He still has the certificate. He just did not fight in a real war, but he prepared and was trained for it. Ideally, methinks, every soldier should have good eyesight.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The on man ammunition is carried in the pouch in magazines. The pouches have limited space.

lemontree

Professional
Well for that reason a lighter gun and lighter rounds should be really good. So, a bullpup rifle (like the Steyr AUG or the FN-2000 at 3.5 kg) to replace INSAS (4.2 kg)
Too expensive. A cheaper option would have been to rebarrel the SLR to 5.56 mm or 7.62 x 39 mm.
and 5.56 NATO (5.56x45mm, 4.1 gms) rounds to replace Russian 7.62 rounds (11.3 gms) should be the new procurement for Indian Army.
???...we are using 5.56 mm round already.

Troops can carry a more complete lighter gun (with grenade launcher) and more rounds (almost 3 times as many).
FYI, even with INSAS the ammo allotment has remained the same (unless there has been any chenge since I left the army) - 100 rounds of ammo.
The grenade launcher is one per section.

How much more ammo can a man carry? With 6 20 rd mags, he carried only 20 rds more. With 30 rd mags he carries 150 (5 mags)- or 180 rds (6 mags).

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
you didn't get the point...i do not think u have ever fired a rifle before(no offense)

it does not matter if you are using bull-pup rifle or regular rifle. what matter here is if you are shooting in full auto/semi or 3 burst mode...

you will spray bullet all over the place and hit very very few targets when u shoot in full auto... you will hit almost every target when you shoot 3 burst and semi will ensure, one shot one kill policy...

in full auto, as soon as you press the hammer, your gun will fire and before you get a chance to release your finger from hammer, the gun might have already fired 3-7 rounds for no reason. this will result in ammo wastage.
UTK 3 rounds are fitted for only conventional wars where you can see and target the foe from a greater distance.But in case f a CQB or jungle war fare you will surely need full auto to suppress enemy(i didn't mean pumping all the 30 rounds in a single burst but 3 to 5 rounds),as far as i know all the foreign armies use full auto and for an army like ours which emphasizes on arksmanship handling full auto wont be a problem.Now days most of the rifles comes with a combo of full auto,3 round and single shot.Even the insas meant for the export was having an full auto option in addition to 3 round .

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan

I have shot a rifle (a couple of times only), although definitely not an assault rifle. But I do know what is a semi-auto mode, a full auto mode, a burst mode and a single shot mode.
You did not get my point. I was not commenting on the semi-auto only mode. MOST professional armed forces only use semi-auto, mostly to conserve ammo, but also for accuracy, Indian Army is not unique in that.
I was indeed commenting on the resupply problems Ray mentioned ...

So, in that case, troops sent to any patrol or advanced location in inaccessible regions will be able to carry a lighter rifle if it's Bull-Pup as well as 3 times more ammo if it is NATO 5.56.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
So, in that case, troops sent to any patrol or advanced location in inaccessible regions will be able to carry a lighter rifle if it's Bull-Pup as well as 3 times more ammo if it is NATO 5.56.
3 times more is an extremely over stretched amount even if it is an bullpup.i dont know how a bull pup will the ammo count.Plus bullpups in today are extemely complex to maintain and the rifles we are importing are for regulars where conventional rifles are the main target.The advantages offered by bullpups are mostly in theory and in practical they are not much as hyped in media.They need to be evolved.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles