New Assault Rifles for Indian Army

Which Contender`s Rifle has more chances of winning than others?

• Total voters

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
The fact that the IA rejects, inspite of the GOI pressures, so many lemons produced by the DRDO is adequate proof that national pride to save the Govt OFBs or DRDO is not a criteria.

Saving the national sovereignty with correct equipment that translates the Doctrines and the Nation is what guides the weapon selection.
Ray,
I agree with and appreciate the statement that Indian Military refuses to use the domestic made lemons and chooses foreign peaches - however, internal defence production (starting from design, development, testing and manufacturing capabilities) is important for any future large scale war. I think it is also VERY important for national sovereignty that Indian civilian AND military leadership understand this and push/ prod the defense industry into producing usable items and then ACTUALLY use them .... Otherwise, we will be in deep shit if war breaks out one day and we find ourselves sanctioned or cut-off from foreign sources of weapons/ ordnance/ parts.

cir

DRDO is working on all improvements and would compete with other 40 companies to offer its system. Let them be competitive rather than being offered free keptive market.

INSAS indeed is not that bad but quality control is like that of China. If it has defects in the cold, how will Indian soldiers fight with PLA who keeps threatening India five times in a day and keep reminding India of 1962 ? There are some basic requirements which are fundamental.
Quality control that is like that of China?:rofl:

Try out this type 95-1 automatic rifle from your northern neighbour:

When it comes to making things, India is years, if not decades, behind China, quality or otherwise。8)

Koovie

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Ray,
I agree with and appreciate the statement that Indian Military refuses to use the domestic made lemons and chooses foreign peaches - however, internal defence production (starting from design, development, testing and manufacturing capabilities) is important for any future large scale war. I think it is also VERY important for national sovereignty that Indian civilian AND military leadership understand this and push/ prod the defense industry into producing usable items and then ACTUALLY use them .... Otherwise, we will be in deep shit if war breaks out one day and we find ourselves sanctioned or cut-off from foreign sources of weapons/ ordnance/ parts.
The research and development and defence production are not in the realm of the military.

Push and prods does not yield any result.

It is not that the IA does not want indigenous equipment, they do.

It is just that in the days of Boeings and Airbuses, would you accept a Tiger Moth to take you from your hometown (if it has an airport) to Delhi?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The Chinese make excellent copies of foreign weaponry.

But then all know the quality of Chinese stuff!

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
So, is IA looking at full length assault rifles still? Why not only shop for Bullpups, since they are lighter, smaller and easier to carry?

And with the doctrine of using the 5.56 mm rounds, the bullpups are as effective as the regular Assault Rifles ...
Bullpups are very costly compared to the conventional rifles and it may posess some advantages but that are not much egdy and the prices are not at all justifiable.with that price you could buy a whole lot a full battle gear including a conventional rifle ,optics,BP vests,communication devices and head gear.
Just take the case of tavors they cost about 2 lakh rupees.can we buy a new hk416 plus a good bpj and helmet with that money.

LTE-TDD

What, not long ago, there was a discussion here in DFI on INSAS vs QBZ-95, I am just about convinced that INSAS is top-class, here comes this news! What I learn from this news is your free media indeed works, and/but if you are over-patriotic, you might be as blind as those fed by controlled media. BTW, instead of shopping for a new rifle, why don't you improve INSAS by making, say, INSAS Mk II?

haha, India style happiness! India is always world number one. A country even can't make rifle!

LTE-TDD

DRDO is working on all improvements and would compete with other 40 companies to offer its system. Let them be competitive rather than being offered free keptive market.

INSAS indeed is not that bad but quality control is like that of China. If it has defects in the cold, how will Indian soldiers fight with PLA who keeps threatening India five times in a day and keep reminding India of 1962 ? There are some basic requirements which are fundamental.
India will alway to improve...improve....improve, like LCA, Arjun, India belong to future!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The Request for Proposal dispatched to over 40 overseas vendors last month -- with bids to be submitted by mid-Feb 2012 -- requires the 3.66 kg AR's to convert to 7.62x39 mm and be fitted with Picatiny Rail-mounted reflex sights.

The ARs would also need to be equipped with under-barrel grenade launchers and be able to fire locally-produced ammunition.
Explains..

anyway, better to have a good foreign weapon than a piece of plastic that doesnt do its job
What piece of plastic would do the job better ?

What Jobs that INSAS failed ?
Awesome news.

I hate to see our soldiers suffer with overweight Insas.
Did you saw the specs..

p2prada

Quality control that is like that of China?:rofl:

Try out this type 95-1 automatic rifle from your northern neighbour:

When it comes to making things, India is years, if not decades, behind China, quality or otherwise。8)
You call a ripped off FN2000 a quality gun.

Now this is a quality gun.

This is one of your better guns, not that crap you posted.

hitesh

indian army used SLR for 25 yrs then gone for INSAS , INSAS already done its 15 yrs in service ,the time IA actually procure any new rifle INSAS would have done its 20-25 yrs . So it doesn't means there is any problem with this rifle ............ jo jst take a chill pill :thumb:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Explains..

What piece of plastic would do the job better ?

What Jobs that INSAS failed ?

Did you saw the specs..
insas weights more than any other famous rifle in its league .it weights more than 4 kg w/o magazine.no other reliable 5.56 rifle weights this much.

LTE-TDD

better than illigal copy & stealling fron others like the Chineese do.

A country buy everything can talk about "copy"? wake up, my friend, just show me what you can make? You even copy you language.

bose

Country flag
A country buy everything can talk about "copy"? wake up, my friend, just show me what you can make? You even copy you language.
Frustrated! China Man! Whatever we can make or not make... we do not Steal & Copy like you people.. Master of deceit you people are.

We have seen what you can make... those Chinese third grade goods find place in footpath in India... the right place for Chinese goods...

Come up with a Chinese brand name like Toyota, Honda, SONY, FORD, KPMG, the name goes on and on....

Have you chinese people heard of the Music System brand "BOSE" ... incidently the pioneer of that great organization is from my city Kolkata... now figure out...

Global Defence

New threads

Articles