New Artificial Intelligence System Beats Human In Aerial Combat Simulation

Kshatriya87

Country flag
June 28, 2016 17:38 IST

COMMENTS

Retired United States Air Force Colonel Gene Lee takes part in simulated air combat versus artificial intelligence technology developed by a team comprised of industry, U.S. Air Force and University of Cincinnati representatives.

WASHINGTON: In a breakthrough, an artificial intelligence (AI) system has emerged victorious against a human expert during a high-fidelity air combat simulation.

The system developed at the University of Cincinnati in the US was assessed by subject-matter expert and retired US Air Force Colonel Gene Lee - who holds extensive aerial combat experience as an instructor and Air Battle Manager with considerable fighter aircraft expertise.

The AI, dubbed ALPHA, is the most aggressive, responsive, dynamic and credible AI to date, according to Mr Lee.

ALPHA is a significant breakthrough in the application of what is called genetic-fuzzy systems, researchers said.

The application is specifically designed for use with Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicles (UCAVs) in simulated air-combat missions for research purposes.

In its earliest iterations, ALPHA consistently outperformed a baseline computer programme previously used by the Air Force Research Lab for research. In other words, it defeated other AI opponents.

It was only after early iterations of ALPHA bested other computer programme opponents that Mr Lee then took to manual controls against a more mature version of ALPHA in October last year.

Not only was Lee not able to score a kill against ALPHA after repeated attempts, he was shot out of the air every time during protracted engagements in the simulator.

Since that first human vs ALPHA encounter in the simulator, this AI has repeatedly bested other experts as well.

"I was surprised at how aware and reactive it was. It seemed to be aware of my intentions and reacting instantly to my changes in flight and my missile deployment," Mr Lee said.

"It knew how to defeat the shot I was taking. It moved instantly between defensive and offensive actions as needed," he added.

"ALPHA is already a deadly opponent to face in these simulated environments. The goal is to continue developing ALPHA, to push and extend its capabilities, and perform additional testing against other trained pilots," said Nick Ernest, who graduated from University of Cincinnati in 2015.

"Fidelity also needs to be increased, which will come in the form of even more realistic aerodynamic and sensor models," added Ernest who is now CEO at Psibernetix, the firm that created the ALPHA project.

ALPHA can take in the entirety of sensor data, organise it, create a complete mapping of a combat scenario and make or change combat decisions for a flight of four fighter aircraft in less than a millisecond, researchers said.

It is so fast that it could consider and coordinate the best tactical plan and precise responses, within a dynamic environment, over 250 times faster than ALPHA's human opponents could blink, they said.

The research was published in the Journal of Defence Management.

http://www.ndtv.com/world-news/new-...ats-human-in-aerial-combat-simulation-1424449

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Since a computer win several times against a human in the "Go" game (and even before), all is possible...
It's a very interesting debate.
Well, this was just a simulation. I wonder if they would develop an unmanned fighter and use the software to fly it. There can be a kill switch or override in case the fighter goes haywire.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Once they miniaturise the AI to fit it onto fighter onboard, the real fun starts.

What say guys, 15-20 years max?

Bahamut

AS have beaten human in chess and other games, so this is nature but people do not understand what AI lacks is ability to learn on faster rate and ability imagine. It replies on brute computing power to win such games

AnantS

Country flag
I think this technology would make fabulous sense for quick launch air interdiction drones or for point defense roles. Point is how do bingo condition would be handled or Aircraft malfunction. Also see the advantages of ability to fly without need of "g-limited" pilot.

Fun would be for the enemy in trying spoof friendly enemy IFF signal, in order to confuse AI.

But I think Point defense UAV are still some time away. What this AI would do is make good pilot simulators.

AI cant be much danger to humans until we figure out how to make these machines "feed/power" themselves.

What future could is we could Bionic Robots becoming reality. But again humans underestimate the nature. Nature has chosen best materials for your Body. And your body is continuously evolving adapting to changing environs.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Once they miniaturise the AI to fit it onto fighter onboard, the real fun starts.

It is already done I think.
When you see the power of a single Smartphone, you can imagine what a 100kg, 1/10m3 computer (+/- size and weight of a human) can do.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
But again humans underestimate the nature. Nature has chosen best materials for your Body. And your body is continuously evolving adapting to changing environs.
It take thousand years to see deep changes in a human body.

AnantS

Country flag
It take thousand years to see deep changes in a human body.
depends on what "extent" of changes you are talking about...
Also to add to my previous post: Human Body is amazing cosmos of numerous living cells. Each capable of limited autonomous reaction to external stimuli.

To reach that level of sophistication purely artificially without any living material introduction is unimaginable.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
depends on what "extent" of changes you are talking about...
Also to add to my previous post: Human Body is amazing cosmos of numerous living cells. Each capable of limited autonomous reaction to external stimuli.

To reach that level of sophistication purely artificially without any living material introduction is unimaginable.
We are only speaking of a brain.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Terminator = propphecy???

:scared1: :scared1:

There should be a man-in-the-loop, else we are going down a slippery slope because other countries are also capable of doing this.

Recently scientists like Hawking and even Bill gates opined that AI is the greatest threat to human species; not meteors, not aliens but AI.
I'm coming to get you....You'll have no place to run, no place to hide....

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Terminator = propphecy???

:scared1: :scared1:

There should be a man-in-the-loop, else we are going down a slippery slope because other countries are also capable of doing this.

Recently scientists like Hawking and even Bill gates opined that AI is the greatest threat to human species; not meteors, not aliens but AI.
Hawking also said that its not a question of "if", its a question of "when". AI development is inevitable.

Kshatriya87

Country flag

Yup. I think so. They need to develop a fighter for that. That would take most of the time. Integrating the fighter parts with the software will also take a long time plus a lot of tests.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
It is already done I think.
When you see the power of a single Smartphone, you can imagine what a 100kg, 1/10m3 computer (+/- size and weight of a human) can do.
Yes but here the AI would have to actually control various parts of the plane, keep in mind (or RAM) the elevation, wind, enemy location etc. and react accordingly. The engine & parts also need to sturdy enough to keep up with the AI's drastic maneuvers.

Akask kumar

This AI is no joke, although it was working in simulated environment, but this is using FUZZY LOGIC ,, as far as i know FUZZY logic is probability based highly advanced and so complex algorithm that i barely passed this as subject in my engineering examination.. Our professor had no idea what they were teaching and gave us notes , to mug up . THis is a mass back(fail) subject..

FUZZY system can be self learning system, u have charts, probability and other things that normally you dont see in general computer algorithm and has its roots in JAPAN..scientist are divided over it some say its not a logic while many support.

over more ,, this is "genetic" FUZZY system , which means that this thing will learn and may pass or inherent from its predecessor and i suppose this also incorporates neural network..

THis may not perform same in real world as there are many unpredicted variable ,but might learn adapt quickly with time..

SO THIS IS REAL HOLLYWOOD SHIT in millitary..

Global Defence

New threads

Articles