New, additional Australian deployments to Iraq

Discussion in 'Indo Pacific & East Asia' started by apple, Sep 18, 2014.

1. apple

apple Tihar Jail Banned

Tony Abbott says Australian forces' aim is to 'dislodge' Isis from Iraq | World news | theguardian.com

Australia is deploying 8 Super Hornets, special forces and 600 support troops to Iraq.

Quotes of Abbott from the article;

"I say again to any Australian who might be thinking of travelling to the Middle East to join in terrorist activity: don’t. It is very dangerous. It is wrong. It is against God. It is against religion. It is against our common humanity … and it may well become much more dangerous because of the presence of Australian forces.”

“Over time, I would hope to see a world where the golden ethical rule – do to others as you would have them do to you – is better accepted,” he said.

“I would like to see, over time, an understanding by all people and cultures, and religions, that there should be separation of church and state, that there is a sense of rendering unto Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s.”

3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Good for Australia.

The US has fought shy to deploy troops.

Australia is coming of age.

4. apple

apple Tihar Jail Banned

Abbott to pull trigger on war

Didn't fully understand from the article, or the article deliberately didn't make it clear, but would seem Australia's deployment has arrived in the UAE.

5. Srinivas_K

Srinivas_K Senior Member Senior Member

Most of the nations deploy there troops for combat training and develop interoperability with the NATO in WOT.

6. apple

apple Tihar Jail Banned

Don't really understand your point or, to be honest, what you're trying to say.

Australia has had troops in Iraq (and Afghanistan) still 2001. During that time we've suffered 41 fatalies and 256 wounded in combat.

Active operations are, I suppose, good for training, which seems to be part of what you are saying.

But we've been operating with NATO for over 10 years and our increased deployment to Iraq isn't for training purpose. It's to fight ISIL.

I've seen that Canada and Denmark are considering, or maybe have already decided on, deployments to the region. They are NATO members, they wouldn't go to Iraq for further training.