Nepal grabs Bihar land

venkat

Prabhakar Kumar , CNN-IBN

New Delhi: It's a land grab with International dimensions. Thousands of villagers in seven border districts of Bihar have lost their land and homes to encroachers from Nepal - triggering a significant rise in violence and conflict along the state's border with the Himalayan Kingdom. The land grab, it appears, has its genesis in a warped century old border treaty. The Indian authorities' inability to ensure pillars demarcating the border stay intact, making it worse.
Rashud Ansari, villager, said, "The land which should be part of Bihar is occupied by Nepal. But all the papers for that land are with India and are from India."
People residing at the Indo-Nepal border have been crying foul for long. Slowly, the land on the Indian side is disappearing. Farmers here are losing their farm lands, their livelihood, rather everything. The local authorities are well aware about this issue but their hands seems tied down.
Though the 600 Km long open Indo-Nepal border is patrolled by the Sashatra Seema Bal or SSB, pillars demarcating the border are regularly uprooted. Intelligence estimates suggest that 716 International border pillars have disappeared along the Indo-Nepal border. 281, out of that number, are pillars which have been uprooted in Madhubani district, 116 pillars from East Champaran district, 61 pillars from West Champaran and 3 in Araria district.The SSB agrees that the problem is serious and that it has been escalated to the Central government."Boundary has not been demarcated by both countries. Disputes exist in only 7 districts and we have already reported the matter to the Central government through our HQ. Many pillars have gone missing and the State government must look into it," said Aditya Mishra, Inspector General, SSB.Ironically, the very basis of setting up these pillars lies in a treaty signed by the British in 1816, declaring the river Mahakali as the border between the two countries. The Sugauli Treaty, as it is know, is meaningless as the river has changed course several times southwards into Indian land.Suresh Mahto, Farmer, said, "Our village was first settled over there, then they uprooted it and settled it here. Alot of Fighting took place and even, guns were used. It was just too much but it was only after the fighting that they moved." With farmers turning landless, literally overnight, most try mass protests, but ultimately end up migrating to bigger towns or work as landless labourers."A lot of people here are leaving their homes and are going to other towns because of the amount of problem Nepal is creating in illegally occupying our land," said Ramesh Kamgaar, a villager.

Though the Nitish Kumar government wrote to the Centre on the issue during its first tenure, the lack of pressure has now only meant continuing misery for Bihar's border residents.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/nepal-grabs-bihar-land-government-callous/150603-3.html

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Now I`ll start abusing the Indian administration if they didnt took steps ASAP. This is the limit-cross of everything. First Pakistan,then China, Bangladesh and now this damn cheap Nepal who breathe on our mercy, our food, our air and now showing its bloody colours. I always doubted the loyalty of this nation as a friend. They are jealous of us without knowing the fact that their jealousy will burn themselves only. Nothing more because now i`ll start abusing which i dont want to.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The bloody problem is that these nations always cry foul when we take action saying big brother is bullying. Then dangle the china card and along with that fears that ISI will further fan this. Doesn't make a good situation this. All this should be nipped in the bud. Alas!!! We tend to sleep when all this happens.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Honestly, I wouldn't mind losing Bihar ... to Nepal.

Oracle

Now I`ll start abusing the Indian administration if they didnt took steps ASAP. This is the limit-cross of everything. First Pakistan,then China, Bangladesh and now this damn cheap Nepal who breathe on our mercy, our food, our air and now showing its bloody colours. I always doubted the loyalty of this nation as a friend. They are jealous of us without knowing the fact that their jealousy will burn themselves only. Nothing more because now i`ll start abusing which i dont want to.
Nepal has been a friend all along, we have an open border with them. We have the Gorkhas serving in our Armed Forces. They have done much for India. They certainly do not need this tone of abuse. It's the fault of the GoI to not control some junkie's from Nepal. Please channel your energy in the right direction.

We also don't want to profile all Nepalis because of a loser Prachanda!

Eh! After some years, you would say the same about North East?

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Paaj you could have said that a few years ago. Bihar doing better than a lot of other states in terms of economic growth.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Why ? NE women are pretty and easy.

Paaj you could have said that a few years ago. Bihar doing better than a lot of other states in terms of economic growth.
Akin to saying a state with 50bn$ GDP and 5% growth and 20mn population is worse than a state with 5bn$ GDP and 15% growth with 100mn population ?

Bihar is problematic because it is a massive drain on Central resources, its population issue is out of control, and Bihari migrants are causing massive rifts in other cities/states of India.

However, before anyone challenges my patriotism, I was just being sarcastic.

Oracle

Why ?

Akin to saying a state with 50bn$ GDP and 5% growth is worse than a state with 5bn$ GDP and 15% growth ?

Bihar is problematic because it is a massive drain on Central resources, its population issue is out of control, and Bihari migrants are causing massive rifts in other cities/states of India.

However, before anyone challenges my patriotism, I was just being sarcastic.
I believe NE is more a headache for GoI than Bihar.

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I believe NE is more a headache for GoI than Bihar.
So is Kashmir but Kashmir and NE are strategic assets and their issues can be solved and resolved.

But as I said, I was being sarcastic.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Stupid statement even as sarcasm, even more since you are some kind of administrator over here.......... No wonder why Aussies don't respect Indians and use almost similar statements used by you down this thread. People who don't respect their own fellow countrymen but cry foul when some of them gets abused, manhandled, slapped, punched, stabbed and burned.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Nepal has been a friend all along, we have an open border with them. We have the Gorkhas serving in our Armed Forces. They have done much for India. They certainly do not need this tone of abuse. It's the fault of the GoI to not control some junkie's from Nepal. Please channel your energy in the right direction.

They have done much for India!!!! They just provide cheap labors to India just because there is not much opportunity of jobs in India and nothing else. Instead India has spent and is spending billions of rupees on its well being. Still most them hates India blaming that we are bullying them. Prachand is a weak leader, no doubt.

Dont showcase Gorkha regiment with Nepal`s contribution. They fight for India and they die for India and are Indians.

I havent abused Nepal or any of its organs. I was talking about our administration. And rest all I have written is 100% true in this post as well as the previous one.

Oracle

They have done much for India!!!! They just provide cheap labors to India just because there is not much opportunity of jobs in India and nothing else. Instead India has spent and is spending billions of rupees on its well being. Still most them hates India blaming that we are bullying them. Prachand is a weak leader, no doubt.

Dont showcase Gorkha regiment with Nepal`s contribution. They fight for India and they die for India and are Indians.

I havent abused Nepal or any of its organs. I was talking about our administration. And rest all I have written is 100% true in this post as well as the previous one.
So what is wrong with cheap labor? Manufacturing in China is cheap labor. IT & ITeS industry in India is cheap labor. Atleast they work and earn, unlike Bangladeshis who are involved in crimes inside India. India spending billions is what India can afford, not out of passion but due to geo-political needs. As someone wise said, there are no permanent friends, only strategic interests. And where do you get the idea that most Nepalis hate India? Who feeds this? I know too many Nepalis from Nepal to refute this over zealous remark.

I will quote you again, this time in red:

What was it? Praise in a cauldron?

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag

Phenom

Bangladeshi Kill our Border Security Force
Srilankans kill our fishermen
now Nepalese capture our land
I don't even need to mention Pak and PRC,
May be, in the future Bhutan and Maldives will also jump into the bandwagon.

Hardly a surprise though, this is what happens when the Govt doesn't protect its people and its territory.

SHASH2K2

perhaps those nepali gorkhas would be more than willing to accommodate dirty and cheap Biharis . perhaps you should also lead party similar to MNS and Shiv sainiks. :thumb: you will find many like minded people there .

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Keeping spoken stupidity aside. The portion of Indian or Bihari(only for some sophisticated persons) land snatched by Maoist Nepal is not just any useless piece of desert but is a mix of rich tropical jungle and fertile agricultural land capable of four crops a year.

Parthy

Air Warrior
We are the land of people with great patience... starting from China,Pakistan to Srilanka,Nepal is needling us...:mad2:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Really we need to galvanize the people Nepal against the Maoist or risk losing an close ally!

Rahul Singh

Country flag
I always doubted the loyalty of this nation as a friend. They are jealous of us without knowing the fact that their jealousy will burn themselves only. Nothing more because now i`ll start abusing which i dont want to.
You are missing the larger picture. This Nepal today is a Maoist Nepal and is under direct control of Beijing. I mean, what can you expect from a tiny nation (whose geographical location is such that it can't survive without associating self with one of two neighbor) to do when you don't help it out? Leave it aside, did India helped even its own people out of maoist menace? Maoism is a menace and as long as it flourishes in Nepal all will be hell for India.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles