NCTC: National Counterterrorism Center

parijataka

Country flag
NCTC ideally should be a useful org for fighting terror. However with the past record of central institutions being misused to bully and bring down the state govts by the central govt [started by Indira Gandhi and continued by Congress party mainly], states have apprehensions about this NCTC being misused.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
FBI I believe is autonomous or atleast not used as a political tool by the Federal govt of the US.
I'm sure it is not politicised like our own agencies.

I have no problem if the NCTC is a completely neutral, autonomous organisation that is not used as tool by the centre.
How is it going to be used as a tool pray tell...???? Atleast according to you, it is NDA who is trying to Bring India under Brahmins( :rofl::rofl:)... then how come congress who's views match yours (Kerala thread) going to abuse it...????
If you cant catch my meaning( many hidden allusions ), i will explain it in detail...

Param

How is it going to be used as a tool pray tell...???? Atleast according to you, it is NDA who is trying to Bring India under Brahmins( :rofl::rofl:)... then how come congress who's views match yours (Kerala thread) going to abuse it...????
If you cant catch my meaning( many hidden allusions ), i will explain it in detail...
Don't you know how the CBI is used?

Btw in the other thread I was not referring to NDA or even BJP.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Don't you know how the CBI is used?

Btw in the other thread I was not referring to NDA or even BJP.
Ok sorry about BJP, but not sorry about your and cong's views being similiar(identity politics being good...:confused::confused: )

Ya i know how CBI is being used.... so lets ban CBI eh....????(this is how your argument looks like)

Param

Whoof..... So what who said We will destroy the states here....!!!! Federalism with increased Central presence ....!!!!! Dont say that this is some thing new for india... we dont have a proper federation... get your facts right... Center has the power to over rule the state legislature.... But in a federation, state can can over rule the legislation by center....
I have all my facts right. I know that India is a quasi federation.

The centre can overrule only upto a limit. They can't take over too many state powers according to their whims.

You're either an idealistic youth or someone older who is basically a unitarist.

Last edited:

Param

Ok sorry about BJP, but not sorry about your and cong's views being similiar(identity politics being good...:confused::confused: )

Ya i know how CBI is being used.... so lets ban CBI eh....????(this is how your argument looks like)
Identity politics is used by all parties.
No one is Holy.

I dislike cong as well as BJP but at the same time I also like some policies of both parties.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Identity politics is used by all parties.
No one is Holy.

I dislike cong as well as BJP but at the same time I also like some policies of both parties.
like identity politics...???? didn't i say the same....????

now back to topic... since that you have accepted india is a quasi federation, i think i will consider i made my point.... this is nothing new....!!!!! so stop demonising it.... if you have concerns on it being mis used, then debate for that... in that i will be in total agreement with you....

Param

like identity politics...???? didn't i say the same....????

now back to topic... since that you have accepted india is a quasi federation, i think i will consider i made my point.... this is nothing new....!!!!! so stop demonising it.... if you have concerns on it being mis used, then debate for that... in that i will be in total agreement with you....
what the heck?

:shocked:When did I demonise the country? Please think before you type.

My only concern is centre misusing central agencies to meddle in state affairs for political ends.

mayfair

India is a quasi-federal state with much of the executive authority vested in the the centre, which is not a bad thing per se. Decisions on defence, communications, minig and environment are too delicate to be left at the mercy of regional satraps.

However, the consitution has carefully balanced the overwhelming Central presence by devolving certain key powers to the states- Law and Order is one such element. This careful balance has helped retain the federal structure in India and any tipping of this equilibrium will not have favourable ramifications.

UPA's attempt to take the initiative in the matters of national security would have been praiseworthy if they had demonstarted that indeed they are capable of efficiency and fairplay. Three years on, NIA is an unmitigated disaster. Government's policy to tackle internal strife is shockingly inept to say the least. To then expect that somhow the new agency will sweep away all the maladies with a magic wand is a stretch too far.

Reactions: Ray

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
What is the legal status of the Govt notification?

It is stated by the Congress spokesman Manish Tiwari that this is only an extension of the Prevention of Unlawful Act.

Therefore, the CMs are only raising a storm in a teacup!

And, by inference, it is not negotiable!

SPIEZ

Country flag
Why is the centre so desperate to infringe upon the rights of the states?

In the past 6 months this is one of the many proposed anti federal laws by this govt that have run into trouble with opposition run state CMs.
Will certainly be helpful in coalition politics, that's why :D

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
This is shear stupid politics at work.

If there is a terror attack people will blame the center for it and it's weak policies. If it tries to do something then it's infringement of federal rights.

This move is absolutely right in the fight against terror.the states have to cooperate with the center to make this work and make sure we remain secure.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
:shocked:When did I demonise the country? Please think before you type.

My only concern is centre misusing central agencies to meddle in state affairs for political ends.
i said stop demonising the act......!!!!!!!

i have cocerns about exploitation of the Central institutions too... what to do....???

Param

Ok let a BJP led NDA govt with Modi as PM come to power.
Then we'll see whether a few cong supporters are equally supportive of such an agency & its powers when those at the Centre change.
Maybe then we'll see some people crying foul like they did when POTA was passed. Hypocrisy at its best

The entire country knows how terrorism has been fought since 2004. Heck the biggest and bloodiest terrorist strikes have happened since then.
The Capital should not have any coordination problem since the centre controls the state as well as central agencies there, yet 60 lives were lost in 2005.

Last edited:

Param

The Hindu : News / National : Centre out to violate federal structure: Modi

Centre out to violate federal structure: Modi
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Friday strongly opposed the Home Ministry notification on the National Counter-Terrorism Centre (NCTC) and demanded that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh immediately cancel the order.
"Whenever an incident of terrorism takes place, the Centre comes out with another investigating agency to divert the attention of the people and infringes upon the rights of the State, weakening the federal structure," he told PTI.
Claiming that States like Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh had shown the political will and succeeded in combating terrorism, he alleged that the Centre had not been able to even hang a "dreaded terrorist" like Afzal Guru despite his conviction by the Supreme Court.

Param

news.outlookindia.com | CPI Opposes Centre's Plan to Set Up NCTC
CPI Opposes Centre's Plan to Set Up NCTC
Disapproving of the Centre's plan to set up a National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC), CPI today said it will oppose any government attempt to usurp powers of the state and warned that such moves will only create tensions and affect the country's federal polity.

In a statement, the party said it "vehemently opposes" such tendency and urged all democratic forces to stand up "in defence of federalism" in India.

Param

BJP demands Inter-State Council meeting to discuss NCTC, IBN Live News
BJP demands Inter-State Council meeting to discuss NCTC
New Delhi, Feb 18 (PTI) Alleging that the NCTC is not on the lines promised by the UPA government in the wake of 26/11, the BJP today demanded that a meeting of the Inter-State Council be called to discuss the matter instead of forming it through an executive order. The opposition party also asserted that since law and order is a state subject, the government should keep the states in the loop in the functioning of NCTC. Not doing so- as envisaged in the proposed NCTC- is a breach of the federal structure, it alleged.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Ok let a BJP led NDA govt with Modi as PM come to power.
Then we'll see whether a few cong supporters are equally supportive of such an agency & its powers when those at the Centre change.
Maybe then we'll see some people crying foul like they did when POTA was passed. Hypocrisy at its best

The entire country knows how terrorism has been fought since 2004. Heck the biggest and bloodiest terrorist strikes have happened since then.
The Capital should not have any coordination problem since the centre controls the state as well as central agencies there, yet 60 lives were lost in 2005.
Why blame te center since 2004? The center is only now trying to interfere with the federal structure. All terror attacks so far are state govt failures.

POTA was a failure as far as tackling terror goes. Did more harm. Enough incidents of misuse as well as framed charges to meet clisire targets.

Param

Why blame te center since 2004? The center is only now trying to interfere with the federal structure. All terror attacks so far are state govt failures.

POTA was a failure as far as tackling terror goes. Did more harm. Enough incidents of misuse as well as framed charges to meet clisire targets.
The biggest terror strikes in the history of the country happened in state ruled by the same party that was in power at the centre after 2004._ MH.

LOL! POTA was a failure but most of its features were incorporated in UAPA by the UPA1 Govt.

MACOCA is a wonderful law in a Cong ruled state.
But then GUJCOC does not get enough support from the center.

PS: I do not like oppressive laws like POTA or MACOCA.
But when compared to BJP's introduction of POTA the present govt's infringement on Federalism is even more scarier.

Last edited:

Param

BJP workers shown black flags Chidambaram against NCTC - National - Amar Ujala.

NCTC के विरोध में चिदंबरम को दिखाए काले झंडे

विपक्ष शासित राज्यों का राष्ट्रीय आतंकवाद विरोधी केंद्र (एनसीटीसी) को लेकर विरोध झेल रहे गृहमंत्री पी. चिदंबरम को भारतीय जनता पार्टी के कार्यकर्ताओं ने काले झंडे दिखाए। चिदंबरम -पश्चिम बंगाल में एनएसजी के सेंटर के उद्घाटन समारोह में हिस्सा लेने आए थे। कार्यक्रम से लौटते समय भाजपा के कार्यकर्ताओं ने काले झंडे दिखाकर एनसीटीसी के प्रति अपना विरोध जताया।

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles