Navy's critical requirement for Israeli Barak missiles stalled due to CBI case

pmaitra

Navy's critical requirement for Israeli Barak missiles stalled due to CBI case

Rajat Pandit, TNN | Aug 27, 2012, 05.43AM IST
Times of India

NEW DELHI: The defence ministry has virtually shot down a renewed bid by the Navy to get additional supplies of missiles to arm the Israeli Barak-I anti-missile defence (AMD) systems fitted on 14 frontline warships, including solitary aircraft carrier INS Viraat and three new Shivalik-class stealth frigates.

While the MoD led by defence minister AK Antony accepted the "critical operational urgency'' for acquiring the 262 Barak-I missiles at a cost of over $140 million, it indicated last week that its hands were tied due to the pending CBI investigation into the infamous Barak kickbacks case, sources said.

"Legal opinion obtained from the law ministry and the solicitor general holds that the fresh procurement case should not be progressed for the cabinet committee on security till the CBI probe is complete,'' said a source.

But with the CBI investigation failing to reach anywhere in the last six years, a desperate Navy may now be forced to make a case for seeking fresh legal opinion. Confronted with a critical shortfall in the missile reserve stocks, the Navy has been forced to curtail even practice firings of the Barak-I AMD systems integrated into the 14 warships as part of their "combat management systems''.

"In the current political situation and scams swirling all around, nobody wants to stick his neck out even if inaction adversely impacts national security needs,'' said an insider. There are fears the Bofors howitzer scandal of the late-1980s, which completely derailed the Army's entire artillery modernisation programme from which it is yet to recover, is being repeated yet again.

Much like the Bofor guns which proved their worth during the 1999 Kargil conflict, the Navy swears by the Barak-I systems that act as "close-in point defence systems'' for warships to intercept incoming sea-skimming missiles with "pin-point accuracy'' at a 9-km range.

The recent Naresh Chandra Committee report, incidentally, has also held there is a need to relook at the entire process of cancelling arms contracts or blacklisting defence firms since they can prove counter-productive to the nation's security.

Interestingly enough, it was the NDA regime that had inked the initial Rs 1,160 crore deal for nine Barak-I AMD systems, along with 200 missiles worth Rs 350 crore, from Israeli Aerospace Industries (IAI) and Rafael in October 2000. This was considered necessary to counter Pakistan's acquisition of sea-skimming Exocet and Harpoon missiles after the indigenous Trishul AMD system failed to become operational.

Subsequently, under the UPA-I government in October 2006, the CBI registered the FIR in the Barak kickbacks case to name former defence minister George Fernandes, his party associates Jaya Jaitely and RK Jain, alleged arms dealer Suresh Nanda and former Navy chief Admiral Sushil Kumar among the accused.

While the probe lingers, India is also now in the final stages of developing long-range surface-to-air (LR-SAM) and medium-range SAM systems in collaboration with IAI. While the LR-SAM project to arm naval warships is worth Rs 2,606 crore, the MR-SAM one for IAF is pegged Rs 10,076 crore. With effective interception ranges of 70-km each, their deliveries will begin from 2013 onwards.

Source: Navy’s critical requirement for Israeli Barak missiles stalled due to CBI case - The Times of India

sob

Mod
Country flag
Some key words from the report

it was the NDA regime that had inked the initial Rs 1,160 crore deal,
Subsequently, under the UPA-I government in October 2006, the CBI registered the FIR in the Barak kickbacks case to name former defence minister George Fernandes
But with the CBI investigation failing to reach anywhere in the last six years
Clear case of politics scoring over the nation's security.

Bushra Aziz

The issue Israeli Barak missiles has also become a bleeding wound for the India. It is yet another example of corruption in Indian defence procurement. We have also the Bofors scandal. After seeing the plight of Indian economy, there is an option of indignious developmet but so far it has proved even worse. The project of developing Long Range Surface to Air (SAM) and Medium Range SAM systems with foreign collaboration is more or less relabeling of procured missiles. New Dehli has successfully found CARs as a junkyard to get its indignious versions. One wonders how long we will be cheating ourownselves.

Defcon 1

Country flag
Are the LR-SAM and MRSAM missiles referred to in this article the same Barak 8 missiles or are they different?

Last edited:

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
The project of developing Long Range Surface to Air (SAM) and Medium Range SAM systems with foreign collaboration is more or less relabeling of procured missiles.

I guess you are referring to Barak-8 here (which is LRSAM for IN and MRSAM for IAF). You know it's a JV and feature (apart from many other things) a Dual Pulse Motor developed by DRDO .. :taunt:
Another delusional Paki :facepalm:

systems with foreign collaboration is more or less relabeling of procured missiles
We are not Paki (example : JF-17 and ZDK-03) .. :rofl::laugh:

Last edited:

Defcon 1

Country flag
The issue Israeli Barak missiles has also become a bleeding wound for the India. It is yet another example of corruption in Indian defence procurement. We have also the Bofors scandal. After seeing the plight of Indian economy, there is an option of indignious developmet but so far it has proved even worse. The project of developing Long Range Surface to Air (SAM) and Medium Range SAM systems with foreign collaboration is more or less relabeling of procured missiles. New Dehli has successfully found CARs as a junkyard to get its indignious versions. One wonders how long we will be cheating ourownselves.
Dude first of all you are not an Indian. So your last sentence makes no sense.

Secondly, please present any source which proves that our joint ventures are relabeling of procured missiles.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Last i heard it was Bofors which spanked Pakistani army so hard in Kargil that they took the escape route provided by US, even then retreating soldiers get their 72.

yeah Pakistanis are cheating themselves.................... :rofl:

Bushra Aziz

The Bofors deal with the Government of India was signed on March 24, 1986, when Rajiv Gandhi was the Prime Minister. CBI filed a case against Mr. Quattrocchi, Win Chadha, Rajiv Gandhi, the Defence Secretary S. K. Bhatnagar and a number of others. Mr. Quattrocchi is the only living key figure of those accused, today. Rajiv made a deal with CBI; he pledged full corporation, including naming all who were involved to save his political career. In return, CBI promised some probation, not criminal record for Rajiv. This deal agitated some very powerful Congress-I party members, and their associates, including Ms. Maino (Sonia Gandhi) and Mr. Quattrocchi.

Bheeshma

The Barak-1 and 2 are there to stay in the Indian navy for the next two decades. The Baraks have already been tested against brahmos and will be bought. The pakis have no medium or long range AD and hence shitting in their pants.

Country flag
India halts Barak I missile purchase

India halts Barak I missile purchase

India has put on hold procurement of 262 Israeli-made Barak I missiles until the Central Bureau of Investigation finishes a report into possible corruption.

The navy wants the missiles for its anti-missile defense systems on 14 frontline warships, including the country's aircraft carrier Viraat and three new Shivalik class stealth frigates, a report by The Economic Times said.

The Indian Ministry of Defense has called the $140 million purchase of the short-range surface-to-air missiles as having "critical operational urgency."

Navy chief Adm. Sureesh Mehta told the Times of India in 2008 that he hoped the CBI investigation wouldn't get in the way of buying more much-needed Barak I missiles.

However, the Defense Ministry indicated last week that its hands were tied because of the CBI investigation into an alleged Barak kickbacks scheme, unnamed sources told The Economic Times.

The CBI is the government's main anti-corruption investigation agency.

"Legal opinion obtained from the law ministry and the solicitor general holds that the fresh procurement case should not be progressed for the cabinet committee on security till the CBI probe is complete," said a source.

An end to the CBI's investigation doesn't appear anywhere in sight, after an initial six years, The Economic Times reported. Things are getting serious for the navy, which has cut back on practice firings of the Barak I AMD systems to save its stockpile of missiles.

In August 2007 The Times of India reported the CBI told Supreme Court it has unearthed payment of around $10.6 million in alleged kickbacks to Baccano Holdings Inc. in the United Kingdom.

The payments appeared to be part of the Barak missile deal signed between India and an Israeli firm in 2001, reported The Times of India. Baccano is believed owned by arms dealer Vipin Khanna.

CBI had registered a First Information Report -- the initial step for setting up a formal investigation -- in 2006, The Times of India said.

The FIR named former Defense Minister George Fernandes, former Samata Party President Jaya Jaitly, former Samata Party Treasurer R. K. Jain and former Navy chief Sushil Kumar in connection with irregularities in the deal for seven Barak-I Anti-Missile Defense systems and 200 missiles.

The deal with Israel Aerospace Industries and Rafael Advanced Defense Systems was worth $268.6 million.

The Barak I has a short response time, an anti-sea skimmer capability and a 360-degree aim flexibility on its vertical launch system. It also has a 6-mile maximum range against air targets, information from IAI says.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Re: India halts Barak I missile purchase

Seriously WTF!

Country flag
Re: India halts Barak I missile purchase

Maybe with Barak-8 expected soon there is no need for Barak-1?

kseeker

Retired
Re: Navy's critical requirement for Israeli Barak missiles stalled d

Antony finally clears long-pending controversial deal for Israeli Barak missiles - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: Defence minister A K Antony has finally bitten the bullet. With the CBI deciding to close the infamous seven-year-old Barak kickbacks case for lack of evidence, the defence ministry on Monday cleared the long-pending "critical" naval procurement of an additional 262 Israeli Barak-I missiles for Rs 880 crore.

The Antony-led Defence Acquisitions Council (DAC) also gave the green signal for two other delayed naval projects for 16 anti-submarine warfare (ASW) warships capable of operating in "shallow waters'' for Rs 13,440 crore and two diving support vessels meant for rescuing sailors from disabled submarines for Rs 1,500 crore. The Rs 300 crore purchase of 41 Dhruv advanced helicopters, manufactured by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), was also cleared in the meeting.

"While a global tender will now be floated for the diving support vessels or DSRVs ( deep-submergence rescue vessels), the ASW boats will be built in India with some foreign collaboration for torpedoes etc. The ASW boats, with a displacement below 1,000 tonne, are crucial to track and kill enemy submarines near our coast or ports," said a source.

Both these projects have been hanging fire for long. The proposal for two DSRV-like "mini submarines" — which 'mate' with disabled submarines underwater to rescue trapped sailors from depths up to 610 metres — for instance has been stuck for over 15 years.

But it was the go-ahead to the Barak-I missiles, which will now require the final nod from the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS), which caught the eyeballs. The Navy has for long been screaming about its fast-depleting stock of missiles to arm the Israeli Barak-I anti-missile defence (AMD) systems fitted on 14 frontline warships like aircraft carrier INS Viraat and the latest Shivalik-class stealth frigates.

But to no avail. Antony is known to stop any project at the first whiff of a scandal - 15 armament companies are currently blacklisted, while the CBI has registered 23 corruption cases in defence deals in just the last three years. And this was a full-blown CBI case registered in October 2006. It named former defence minister George Fernandes, his party associates Jaya Jaitely and R K Jain, alleged arms-dealer Suresh Nanda and former Navy chief Admiral Sushil Kumar among the accused, apart from armament firms Israeli Aerospace Industries (IAI) and Rafael.

But with CBI failing to find evidence of kickbacks in the original Rs 1,160 crore Barak-I deal inked by the NDA regime in October 2000, the DAC has now cleared the fresh case after consulting the law ministry and attorney general. The MoD had consistently refused to blacklist IAI and Rafael, holding it would be "counter-productive" to national security. Israel is the second-largest defence supplier to India, with sales worth around $1 billion every year. Of the several projects currently underway, IAI and DRDO are jointly developing a long-range surface-to-air missile (LR-SAM) system for Rs 2,606 crore to arm Indian warships and a medium-range SAM system for IAF at a cost of Rs 10,076 crore.

Both these systems, with an interception range of 70-km each, were to be ready long ago but have repeatedly missed deadlines. The naval LR-SAM, approved in December 2005, is now slated for completion by December 2015. The MR-SAM project, sanctioned in February 2009, in turn, has a "probable date of completion" by August 2016, say sources.

Free Karma

I'm getting the same feeling as the cryogenic engines case with Nambi Narayanan:( a bunch of false cases.

In this case it seemed like the govt was too scared to dismiss them due to the already existing mistrust in the public.

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag

CBI Files Closure Report in Missile Scandal

A day after a Rs 880-crore deal for 262 Barak-I air defence missiles was clinched, the CBI on Tuesday filed a closure report in the Rs 1,150-crore Barak missile scam in which former Defence Minister George Fernandes, then Naval Chief Admiral Sushil Kumar, R K Jain and other Defence Ministry officials were accused.

In its closure report filed before the special CBI court, the investigative agency said the response received from foreign countries didn't substantiate the kickback allegations levelled against Fernandes and others.

"Israel didn't cooperate during the probe and refused to give further information required in the probe. It maintained that no kickback was paid to Indian officials to swing the deal in the Israeli company's favour but denied sharing other details citing confidentiality," said a source.

Sources said the agency had received replies from Israel, Germany, UAE, the UK and Mauritius.

In October 2000, the ministry headed by Fernandes signed a contract with Israel Aircraft Industries for the purchase of seven Barak missile systems and ammunition. Admiral Sushil Kumar was the Naval Chief when the contract was signed.

It was alleged that norms were violated by the government for procuring the missile systems despite the strong reservations raised by the Cabinet Committee on Security.

It was also alleged that kickbacks to the tune of 3 percent of the total deal amount were paid to middlemen.

After the CBI filed an FIR in the case in 2006, Fernandes told the agency that he had pressed ahead with the deal after Sushil Kumar sent a strong recommendation.

It was on Monday the ministry quickly moved to clear the purchase of 262 Barak-I air defence missile for `880 crore, paving the way for integrating them on board several Indian Navy warships.

However, since the cost of the Barak-I purchase exceeds `500 crore, it would have to get a final nod from the Cabinet Committee on Security, the Prime Minister-headed highest decision-making body of the government on matters defence and security. This approval is expected in about a month's time.

"The Barak missile purchase has been cleared by the Defence Acquisition Council, headed by Defence Minister A K Antony," a ministry source said here. The DAC also has Antony's deputy Jitendra Singh, the three services chiefs and the secretaries of the ministry as members.

CBI Files Closure Report in Missile Scandal - The New Indian Express

Phantom

Now, can we please have those missiles fast? Our Kolkata class DDGs have been late enough already.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles