Navy plans new tech submarines ( Project 75 I)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Navy plans new tech submarines

The Indian Navy will soon float a global tender inviting foreign arms companies to set up a new manufacturing line for submarines in collaboration with Indian dockyards.

"The request for proposal will be issued shortly as Defence Acquisition Council (headed by the defence minister) has approved it," Navy Chief Admiral D K Joshi said here on Monday.

Christened Project 75 (I), the second submarine line would create six submarines with air-independent propulsion technology at a cost of around Rs 25,000 crore as per the Navy's estimate.

AIP technology allows submarine to stay underwater for a longer period in comparison to the existing fleet.

The proposed second line would be a follow up to the Rs 18,798-crore project at Mazgaon dock in Mumbai for manufacturing six Scorpene submarines with French collaboration. All the six submarines are to be delivered between 2015 and 2018 – almost three years behind schedule.

Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory, Hyderabad was given contracts to develop indigenous AIP technology. If the DMRL's timeline matched that of the production timeline for Scorpene, then AIP plugs could be installed in the last two Scorpene submarine as well, he said. Subsequent to the two production lines with foreign collaboration, all future submarines will be indigenous in accordance with the Navy's 30-year plan.

Navy plans new tech submarines

Rage

DFI TEAM
Correct me if I am wrong, but the proposed six 75-I next gen submarines are envisaged to cost a total of $15 billion [the initial DAC estimate for the project in late-2010 was $11 billion]. How has that figure inflated so much, if the AIP technology is to be developed indigenously, and France has already transferred the technology for the Scorpenes under Project 75 [on which these next-gen subs will no doubt at least partly be based]?

Decklander

Correct me if I am wrong, but the proposed six 75-I next gen submarines are envisaged to cost a total of $15 billion [the initial DAC estimate for the project in late-2010 was $11 billion]. How has that figure inflated so much, if the AIP technology is to be developed indigenously, and France has already transferred the technology for the Scorpenes under Project 75 [on which these next-gen subs will no doubt at least partly be based]?
When a deal is signed it has a WPI based escalation clause in it. This is a percentage by which the cost gets increased every year to adjust for inflation and material cost. This project after signing was not made operational for many years so this cost is increased.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Few of these new 6 subs will be constructed overseas. Rather they must be, if to meet the schedule.
@Rage We wont come to know about breakup of expenditure. But this figure may be covering unusal design layout demanded by Navy & the armaments to follow, especially surrounding anti-ASW aircrafts.

And moreover, these are just initial estimate. There would be revisions. If the contract goes to DCNS (which I am hopeful) MoD will bargain further. MDL is pushing significant weight to win this contract & extent the current line.

Sent via Tapatalk from a galaxy far far away

Last edited by a moderator:

Rage

DFI TEAM
When a deal is signed it has a WPI based escalation clause in it. This is a percentage by which the cost gets increased every year to adjust for inflation and material cost. This project after signing was not made operational for many years so this cost is increased.
I understand that, but an escalation of nearly 36% is a tad enormous, don't you think? The $11 billion figure, recrementitious as it is, was as recent as 2010!

Military inflation is higher than general economic inflation, granted; and usually has both political and economic sources. But my question is: what could be the non-economic sources impinging so heavily on the construction of the deflator series in consideration in this contract?

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
The problem with submarine acquisition is that most of the information is not available in open source. The Majority of the procurement is in ToT and hull fabrication and tooling along with training...the weapon systems are the most secret of them and hence high costs for submarine procurement.

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
The P-75 submarine project has been lagging behind the original schedule. As per the revised schedule, the first submarine from the P-75 project is expected to be with the Indian Navy by 2015 and the last by 2018. Due to inordinate delays, this schedule been delayed, leaving the Indian Navy in a quandary.

The global tender for P-75i project will be floated to vendors like Rosoboronexport (Russia), DCNS (France), HDW (Germany) and Navantia (Spain).The plan is to directly import two submarines from the foreign collaborator eventually selected, with the next three being built at MDL in Mumbai, and the sixth at Hindustan Shipyard in Visakhapatnam under transfer of technology

Indian Navy plans to oversee and fast-track all its submarine acquisition plans to match its fleet with that of its neighboring countries. To ensure the follow-up on Indian Navy's submarine acquisition plan, Rear Admiral M T Moraes has been appointed as the new assistant chief of naval staff (submarines), a post in the Indian Navy which has resurfaced after many years.

hope we see them commissioned soon

H.A.

The sixth at HSL is an old news, as far as i am aware HSL is not building the sub all 6 will be built at MDL.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
The Indian Navy is set to "very soon" issue a RFP (Request for Proposal or tender) for a new line of six submarines with AIP (Air Independent Propulsion) capability.

The requirement has been pending for quite a few years but the proposal for the new line, designated Project 75-I, has now being given firm clearance by the government, according to Indian Navy chief, Admiral DK Joshi.

Asked how soon is "very soon," the naval chief told India Strategic defence magazine that the Defence Acquisition Committee (DAC) had already cleared a note on Acceptance of Necessity (AON), the navy had finalized the RfP and it was in its last stage of formalities for clearance in the defence ministry.

The new Project 75-I submarines should be huge in value, estimated at around $10 billion-plus.

Indian Navy set to issue tender for Project 75-I Submarines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles