Navneet Kumar's Blog on China

Yijiuliuer

Tihar Jail
Banned
An idian visiting engineer's impression on Gaogang ( I don't even know where this place is, might be a small port town somewhere in Zhejiang
according to his description)

My China Dairy.........Living In Gaogang Part 1 | Sulekha Creative

Some interesting quotes from the blog:

"Chinese don't need to rely on a foreign language for racing ahead of the world. There own language is complete, so complete that they can excel in all fields of life without needing to know English or German or French. There leaders proudly speak Chinese no matter where they are and to whom they speak to."

Defcon 1

Country flag
It might be good for national pride that China still relies on chinese language. But the world is increasingly becoming a homogeneous place due to communication, trade, globalisation, better means of transport etc. In such a scenario, each and every language of the world is destined to die except one. Going by current situation, it seems that this one language will be English. Hence, relying on Chinese will be betting against the tide. Maybe china should let their people decide, what language is best for them.

Yijiuliuer

Tihar Jail
Banned
It might be good for national pride that China still relies on chinese language. But the world is increasingly becoming a homogeneous place due to communication, trade, globalisation, better means of transport etc. In such a scenario, each and every language of the world is destined to die except one. Going by current situation, it seems that this one language will be English. Hence, relying on Chinese will be betting against the tide. Maybe china should let their people decide, what language is best for them.
Nah, not necessarily true, Chinese understood in terms of linguistic has an innate advantage over any major Indo-euro languages or linguas, it is a Class Language, it is just like the C++ or # in a way, it use premade library to call for when needed. This helps it getting rid of all lengthy and
effort-taking invention of new "words" in morphology. The thinnest file in UN is always the Chinese version.

Chinese as a language will define future.

Defcon 1

Country flag
Nah, not necessarily true, Chinese understood in terms of linguistic has an innate advantage over any major Indo-euro languages or linguas, it is a Class Language, it is just like the C++ or # in a way, it use premade library to call for when needed. This helps it getting rid of all lengthy and
effort-taking invention of new "words" in morphology. The thinnest file in UN is always the Chinese version.

Ever heard of the term "Economies of scale"? Let me simplify, if you go on with Chinese, your citizens will not get access to tons of information all over the internet written in English. To read it, they will have to recreate the same information in chinese language. This will increase the costs. This works with everything, such computer programs requiring Chinese versions, chinese websites, keyboards, books, television programs all the stuff. At some point it will just become easier to teach English to people instead of redesigning all the stuff. A very good example is this forum, you can't survive here with chinese language, you need to learn English to use it.

Yijiuliuer

Tihar Jail
Banned
Ever heard of the term "Economies of scale"? Let me simplify, if you go on with Chinese, your citizens will not get access to tons of information all over the internet written in English. To read it, they will have to recreate the same information in chinese language. This will increase the costs. This works with everything, such computer programs requiring Chinese versions, chinese websites, keyboards, books, television programs all the stuff. At some point it will just become easier to teach English to people instead of redesigning all the stuff. A very good example is this forum, you can't survive here with chinese language, you need to learn English to use it.
Well, I agree with you to a certain degree, but to the basics, it is not an "either or" issue, people still can use English as a tool.
But language being a root of any culture, conveys more implication on humanity than tools of communication, if we compare it to a megavoice,
I shall say human use this megavoice as their penis and cannon gun :) I hope my metaphore is not too implicit to be understood.

Defcon 1

Country flag
Well, I agree with you to a certain degree, but to the basics, it is not an "either or" issue, people still can use English as a tool.
But language being a root of any culture, conveys more implication on humanity than tools of communication, if we compare it to a megavoice,
I shall say human use this megavoice as their penis and cannon gun :) I hope my metaphore is not too implicit to be understood.
As I have already said, with the current globalisation, the world is moving towards a common culture. Hence, all languages other than English will decline slowly, and at the end of it, we will have a homogeneous world with a common culture.

Yijiuliuer

Tihar Jail
Banned
As I have already said, with the current globalization, the world is moving towards a common culture. Hence, all languages other than English will decline slowly, and at the end of it, we will have a homogeneous world with a common culture.
Don't be fooled by globalization, on the other hand, what is national makes what is global.
You guys should also promote Hindi to be spoken in every corner of India, it is a beautiful language and a direct descendant of Sanskrit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yijiuliuer

Tihar Jail
Banned
Living In Pune...Part 1 ( With Images of Life in India and China) | Sulekha Travel

Navneet compared India and China,

Bringing the cities to the level of Shanghai is a little too far fetched. One of these days I will post all the pictures of the village Retio where I lived and then I will ask the bloggers here to compare. We certainly have architects and town planners and money too but we don't have the vision. For achieving all that what you have written we need good governance, a set of dedicated, sincere people at the helm, we need to change ourselves.

Navneet

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
It is good that chinese speak chinese :clap:

We should also speak our own language amongst ourselves.

Yijiuliuer

Tihar Jail
Banned
Set Priorities Right To Match China

Set Priorities Right To Match China | Sulekha Creative

I ask those of you who are living in this rejuvenated state of the country what do you say about these tall claims of Puratchi Thalaivi the new mesiah of the poor? Have you found any change in the state or the state of affairs or the dismal state in which the things were when Mr. Karunanidhi was ruling the state? Since most of you from TN who are blogging here live in the premier cities of the State about which there are tall claims of grand achievements in the last one year of her reign, let me ask you about the very basic necessities of life.

1. What is the state of power cuts in your town?

2. What is the state of water supply in your town?

3. What do you say about transport and travel facilities?

4. What do you say about cleanliness in your locality?

5. What is the condition of the roads, sanitation, health services?

6. Has the response to the call for help to Police, Fire department, Ambulance etc. improved?

7. Has the corruption come down?

8. Do you feel more safe and are you happier than you were before she took over from Karunanidhi?

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
You guys should also promote Hindi to be spoken in every corner of India, it is a beautiful language and a direct descendant of Sanskrit.
Actually, South Indian languages like Telugu and Malayalam are much closer to Sanskrit than Hindi. Around 75-80% of the words in these languages are derived from Sanskrit.

Personally, I think that Sanskrit should be fully revived in its Classical form, but it will be very difficult to do so.

Yijiuliuer

Tihar Jail
Banned
Set Priorities Right To Match China

Set Priorities Right To Match China | Sulekha Creative

I ask those of you who are living in this rejuvenated state of the country what do you say about these tall claims of Puratchi Thalaivi the new mesiah of the poor? Have you found any change in the state or the state of affairs or the dismal state in which the things were when Mr. Karunanidhi was ruling the state? Since most of you from TN who are blogging here live in the premier cities of the State about which there are tall claims of grand achievements in the last one year of her reign, let me ask you about the very basic necessities of life.

1. What is the state of power cuts in your town?

2. What is the state of water supply in your town?

3. What do you say about transport and travel facilities?

4. What do you say about cleanliness in your locality?

5. What is the condition of the roads, sanitation, health services?

6. Has the response to the call for help to Police, Fire department, Ambulance etc. improved?

7. Has the corruption come down?

8. Do you feel more safe and are you happier than you were before she took over from Karunanidhi?
Even this blog showed strong contrast between India and China, I am still ashamed by some of those pictures. These pictures showedhow far China is behind a developed country, old ladies have to work to support themselve, we need more social welfare, we need more social justice.

Yijiuliuer

Tihar Jail
Banned
Actually, South Indian languages like Telugu and Malayalam are much closer to Sanskrit than Hindi. Around 75-80% of the words in these languages are derived from Sanskrit.

Personally, I think that Sanskrit should be fully revived in its Classical form, but its will be very difficult to do so.

Definitely, and it is a perfect language to restore your far inadequate history archive. a Nation raise upon the recogntion of its own culture!

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Definitely, and it is a perfect language to restore your far inadequate history archive. a Nation raise upon the recogntion of its own culture!
I agree. It is good that you Chinese are continuing to speak Chinese and reading in Chinese. This way Chinese can read about their country's history and culture in their own language, while we Indians cannot even read the Sanskrit works written by our ancestors. Most of us have to rely on books written in English or English translations. :tsk:

If English prevails over native Indian languages, then India as we know it will cease to exist. This is why I have started to learn Sanskrit.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag

Isn't Mandarin based on remembering complex symbols ?. It appears to be a programming language with a hugely bloated library. However, if someone learns those "libraries" (significant effort) he'll be able to write long "programs" using small amount of "code". Anyways I'm not familiar with Mandarin

btw new words are not "invented" for objects in Sanskrit. Rather, objects are assigned a set of pre-existing "properties".

This should help you understand better

Words represent properties of objects/entities and not objects/entities themselves.

Let's see now with the help of examples in the Question and Answer format, what does all this mean.

Q) What is a tree called in English and Hindi ?
A) In English, a tree is called Tree
In Hindi, a tree is called पेड़

Q) What is a tree called in Sanskrit ?
A) There is no word in Sanskrit for a tree!

Q) Are you kidding me ?
A) No! Let me explain in greater detail. As said above, Words in Sanskrit represent properties of objects and not objects themselves. And, since a tree is an object, there is really no word in Sanskrit for a tree. In fact, there is actually no word in Sanskrit for any object (barring some exceptions, which are finite in number).

Q) What then, is वृक्ष ? I heard that वृक्ष in Sanskrit means a tree.
A) Ah! now you asked the proper question. वृक्ष is a Sanskrit word that may be used to represent a tree. As said and repeated earlier, Words in Sanskrit represent properties, so वृक्ष also represents a property.

वृक्ष = something that is cut and felled down

The word वृक्ष can be used to denote any object that has this property. If something is usually cut and fell down, then it can be called वृक्ष. That object need not be a Tree.
Features of Sanskrit that make it an extra-ordinary language | uttiSTha bhArata

Yijiuliuer

Tihar Jail
Banned
Isn't Mandarin based on remembering complex symbols ?. It appears to be a programming language with a hugely bloated library. However, if someone learns those "libraries" (significant effort) he'll be able to write long "programs" using small amount of "code". Anyways I'm not familiar with Mandarin

btw new words are not "invented" for objects in Sanskrit. Rather, objects are assigned a set of per-existing "properties".

you are basically right, and you are extremely right on the "complex symbols", the most commonly used 3000 characters will take a 1-6 grader five years to learn, but once they grasped these words, they are liberated.

A lot of effort should be put into Sanskrit research, China kept a volumous amount of buddhism canons written in Sanskrit brought in by Indian Monks and our exchange monks, this can serve a pool to revive your ancient language.

Yijiuliuer

Tihar Jail
Banned

btw new words are not "invented" for objects in Sanskrit. Rather, objects are assigned a set of pre-existing "properties".

Understoold

anArray[0] = tree in sanskrt; // initialize fist assign of value

haha, fancinating.

cloud_9

Country flag
Can Putonghua users understand Traditional Chinese characters?

Yijiuliuer

Tihar Jail
Banned
Can Putonghua users understand Traditional Chinese characters?
without a single problem.
actually recognition of characters has nothing to do with dialects. that is one thing to tie every Chinese in, even they cannot understand eachother's dialects ( not language) they will have 0 problem in textual information.

Putonghua is a man made dialect pretty much based on Beijing Dialect, we have zhongyuan guanhua ( official accent of central plain covers most Chinese Northern provinces),Xinan guanhua ( official accent of Southwest region, covers most southwest provinces), MinNan/MinBei hua(this accent mostly speaks in Fujian Province, Min nan is the southern fujian, Min bei is the Northern Fujian) , Xiang yu (Hunan Province), Gan yu( Jiangxi province), Wu/Yue Yu( jiangsu and zhejiang province), Jianghuai guanhua ( offical accent of Jiang Huai region, covers most Southeast provinces, Jin Yu (shanxi and northern Shaanxi province)and Yue Yu (that is something you are familiar with, Cantonese per se)

All these are dialect instead of languages, it is not like Tamil and Hindi, which uses different grammar and vocabulary, it is just a language with different accent, but accents are so different people won't understand eachother, [Cheng] in Putonghua is pronounced as [Ding] in Minnan Hua,
you will see how hard you can figure out what they say.

But unlike in india, every Chinese understand putong hua , that makes things much easier. I suggest you can revive Sanskrit as your putonghua
since hindi is not so dominant, a man made accent will make every body happy.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles