Naval LCA Tejas

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It was meant to be operated on carriers, you can go through last 3 years of data ..

Its just one person who is coming to that conclusion, Not even his mates working in program agree with him ..

Mk1 wasnt the operational variant, the NP3-4 were Mk 2, the operational variant. The ones with newer engine, airframe changes.
This is the conclusion of 31 pages and 100s of Posts of this thread.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Lets change topic a bit, i remembered while reading long time ago about this.

This is something like this

Dr. Kalam tested this in 1972 amazing.....

This is needed for NAVY LCA, SU 30MKI and other transports.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Lets change topic a bit, i remembered while reading long time ago about this.

This is something like this

Dr. Kalam tested this in 1972 amazing.....

This is needed for NAVY LCA, SU 30MKI and other transports.
Afterburners are enough..........................................
These are only needed when the runway is short....
I guess usa used this in eagle claw operation

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Afterburners are enough..........................................
These are only needed when the runway is short....
I guess usa used this in eagle claw operation
Same could be used on AC................................

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
You mean LAC?????????????????????????????????????????
On the chinese front we need more Runways and better rail-road connectivity

Chinmoy

Country flag
WOT THE ****
@sayareakd
How can we land gigantic aircraft like c-130 on INS VIKRAMADITYA/VIKRANT??????????????
He wants that for NLCA. Now for transport aircraft, RATOG is viable, but for any light combat fighter, I don't think it would be a practical thing to do. Else someone like US would have gone for it instead of CATOBAR.

Flame Thrower

Sir, as you know RATO comes at cost if two hard points....

We need hard points in LCA MK2...

Central line for Brahmos NG
2 Hard points for fuel tanks...
2 for BVR & 2 for WVR missiles...

If ADA, HAL & IN can figure out something then that would be great...

Rocket fuel is kind of dangerous, I mean to say that IN is ok with Solid fuel missiles in silos where no one is going to disturb them...But for RATO these Rocket assistors should be stored with spares, ammo, and rest of the AC; thanks to highly corrosive environment and corrosion is the worst enemy of the rockets; even a minute error can cause a mishap and might render AC useless till it is repaired..

It might even reduce the morale of the crew too....

Last edited:

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
I remember reading about how VTOL ops of F-35B and MV-22 are causing all kinds of troubles on the American carriers and Amphibious Assault Ships. I dread imagining what would a RATO for a 70 ton aircraft do to the flight deck of our AC.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I remember reading about how VTOL ops of F-35B and MV-22 are causing all kinds of troubles on the American carriers and Amphibious Assault Ships. I dread imagining what would a RATO for a 70 ton aircraft do to the flight deck of our AC.
I am saying for navy LCA

here weight specifications

Weight
Max Takeoff Thrust: 20,200 pound (9,163 kilogram)
Max Takeoff Weight: 12,000 kilogram (26,455 pound)
Min Weight: 5,500 kilogram (12,125 pound)
Payload: 3,500 kilogram (7,716 pound)

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
It was meant to be operated on carriers, you can go through last 3 years of data ..

Its just one person who is coming to that conclusion, Not even his mates working in program agree with him ..
I never said it wasnt.

IN was the one that wanted the uprated engine, several modifications were to be made in the frame. Currently in the both NP1-2, was using over engineered landing gear as well. All of this was supposed to be fixed in NP3-4, those were the Mark 2 variant, the operational model. Current model arent production models. The next two models coming up, were.

Thrishul

Country flag
These are media speculation at best, The platform in question is a prototype and not a finished product ..

It was always known that MK1 will be flying from Carrier decks along with others, But its something new which are being proposed to dump everything all together including R&D infrastructure, The new Admiral don`t want local industry to come in between imports and him or his successors ..
The vibration issue is not from the media but from other sources. More believable sources.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
That is why on first place i mentioned, 'Its a prototype and not a finished product ..'

The vibration issue is not from the media but from other sources. More believable sources.

bhramos

Country flag
I am saying for navy LCA

here weight specifications

Weight
Max Takeoff Thrust: 20,200 pound (9,163 kilogram)
Max Takeoff Weight: 12,000 kilogram (26,455 pound)
Min Weight: 5,500 kilogram (12,125 pound)
Payload: 3,500 kilogram (7,716 pound)
what you say is only good on paper , but reality is different.....
i read some where,
if NLCA takes off with full fuel load, it cant have full weapon load,
if it takes off with full weapon load, it should be refueled or return to carrier in less then a hour...

how good is this chance of becoming true?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Do provide source if you putting such claims here ..

These are speculated assumptions at best as project such as this will have serious issues as its India`s first carrier-borne fighter project an fist attempt into this unknown dimension of warfare ..

======

Take such rumors with pinch of salt, It was said that Tejas combat range is merely 300kms with 1 hour fuel long back somewhere in terrorist forum and it spread out like a wild fire ..

Latter in official release it now a known fact its combat range is 500kms and cruising range is +1700kms with internal fuel, Given fuel tanks and refueling it can reach beyond 3000kms ..

In similar way, Someone is making fact out of thin air about NLCA based on half knowledge available on open source ..

And they are having serious issues rectifying it.
if it takes off with full weapon load, it should be refueled or return to carrier in less then a hour...

Thrishul

Country flag
In similar way, Someone is making fact out of thin air about NLCA based on half knowledge available on open source ..

How about pilots who are actually close to the program.
Due to the vibration issue, till date the NLCA has not done a single arrested recovery.
The only reason I am now giving the source now, is that for the 1st time the leaving ADA chief Commodore Balaji stated this problem in a interview yesterday.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles