Naval LCA Tejas

Scrutator

Thanks for your reply.

As far as I can fathom, any aircraft to takeoff from Ski-jump two parameters are most important i.e. TWR and Wing Loading.

TWR = Available Power in proportion to weight of aircraft to propel it to speed.

Wing Loading = How much weight per sq mtr of wing area has bear to lift aircraft in air. The lower the Wing Loading lesser the effort Aircraft has to exert to lift itself in Air. Higher the Wing Loading higher the Aircraft has to exert to lift itself in Air.

Lower Wing Loading Aircraft needs much smaller Runway to lift itself up from the Runway in comparison to Higher Wing Loading Aircraft having same thrust.

How much superior will be Rafale-M to Tejas MK-2 in above parameters.

Specification of Rafale-M
Empty Weight: 10600 Kg.
Internal Fuel: 4700 Kg.
Total Take-off Weight: 15300 Kg.
(Without any weapons load)

Wet Thrust: (2X75kN) = 150kN

TWR (Without any weapons load) = 0.98

Wing area: 45.7 m² (492 ft²)
So the Wing Loading of Rafale-M with 15300Kg. = 334.7921 Kg/sq.mtr.

Specification of Naval Tejas-MK2
Empty Weight: 7000 Kg.
Internal Fuel: 3158 Kg.
Total Take-off Weight: 10158 Kg.

Wet Thrust: 98 kN.

TWR (Without any weapons load) = 0.965

Wing area: 38.4 m² (413 ft²)
So the Wing Loading of Naval Tejas-MK2 with 10158Kg. = 264.5313 Kg/sq.mtr.

Rafale-M Naval Tejas-MK2

TWR: 0.98 0.965
(Negligible difference in TWR of both the aircrafts)

Rafale-M Naval Tejas-MK2
Wing Loading: 334.7921 264.5313
(Vast diff of 70.26087 Kg/sq.mtr. in favour of Naval Tejas-MK2)

Hence Rafale-M will be far inferior to Naval Tejas-MK2 in Ski-jump operations.

Please also fathom:

Rafale-M has to support 15300Kg weight with 4700Kg fuel with (50kNx2=100kN) military engine thrust.

And Naval-Tejas-MK2 has to support 10158Kg with 3158Kg fuel with 58kN military engine thrust.

Hence Rafale-M will be far inferior to Naval-Tejas-MK2 in combat range. Because where Naval-Tejas-MK2 will be burning 3158Kg fuel for 50kN and weight 10158Kg while cruising. Rafale-M will be burning 4700Kg fuel with 100kN (Twin Engine) and weight 15300kg while cruising.

Caveat: As Naval-Tejas-MK2’s specifications are not clear till now, I made above calculations on following assumptions.

1) Empty Weight of Tejas in current format + 500 Kgs of weight increase in MK-2 format. i.e. 6500+500 = 7000 Kg empty weight.

2) Fuel Capacity of Tejas in current format + 700 Kgs of increase in capacity due to enlargement of Fuselage and volume increase in fuselage due realignment of landing gear from current fuselage position to wing roots.

3) Wing Area of Tejas Remains the same as on MK-1.

Please correct the above premise where you feel it is wrong.

*My only worry is - Naval-Tejas-MK-1 passes the Arrester Wire Landing without any trouble.
I like your way of thinking and analysis.

Only thing I would add to your analysis is the aerodynamic properties of the two aircraft that creates the required 'lift' ! Especially the low speed handling with heavy load. I haven't done a quantitative analysis on this front, but one could make a qualitative assessment that the canards on Rafale could direct wind flows and generate proper vortexes to create better 'lift' at low speeds. LCA Navy Mk2 will come with better LEVCONs (already on LCA Navy Mk1) but perhaps the canards will do a better job at that.
And overall, the Rafale's body seems a lot more streamlined and the body itself designed to create lift when compared to LCA Navy Mk2. It would be great if we got to know the actual 'lift' generated by these two airframes at different speeds!

The above is just an objective analysis. I would back LCA Navy Mk2 anyday!!

Last edited:

Bhoot Pishach

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Maximum thrust does not automatically translate to maximum speed, especially during takeoffs (&landings). The aircraft will need to accelerate to its cruising/maximum speed. That's where the AoA comes into picture.Higher AoA will purport to create better lift but will also lead to 'boundary layer separation' over the wing area (that leads to losing all lift suddenly). Thrust is not everything, the airflow needs to shaped (especially at low speeds & max thrust) to keep the air flow over the wings without 'boundary layer separation'. It is in this regard I feel canards will have an edge.
F18's don't have canards, but a HUGE LEX (Leading edge extension) that does the same job as helping with low speed lift!
LCA Navy Mk2 lags a bit in this area (despite its LEVCONs)

One also does not land at 'full speed' on the deck; the pilot trims the aircraft for maximum lift at reduced speed (but still enough for a take off if landing is aborted).

Canards will definitely complicate the entire flight control system; primary reason that they rejected it. Of course there are other ways to counter achieve low speed BLS - like chines, better LEVCONs etc.
To reply I am just quoting great post from our eminent member @ersakthivel in thread : ADA Tejas (LCA) better go through his posts to clear your doubts.

To generate large lift inducing vortices the wing of Tejas was designed with a crank or compound delta model, along with the twist in wing root.

You can obsever the the lift inducing vortices generated by this compound delta +wingroot twist+curvarute of the wing resulting in large beneficial lift inducing vortices benefitting Tejas in vertical maneuvers.

These lift inducing vortices delay the onset of stall.

Last edited:

Bhoot Pishach

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I don't have the data (too lazy to search)
But my reasoning still stands. Navy wants to put MIG 29k on ground even if others can carry less payload.

About ski jump the biggest scare we had while designing NLCA was insufficient thrust that is why engine had to be upgraded and airframe changed.

So twin engine will help Rafael there.
It boils down to TWR, single engine or twin engine, does not matter.

Scrutator

To reply I am just quoting great post of from our eminent member @ersakthivel in thread : ADA Tejas (LCA) better go through his posts to clear your doubts.
Sure deal. Tejas/LCA has some design contraptions for vertical maneuvers. However, I still feel (visually at least) Rafale & F18's are more geared for LowSpeed-HighLift capabilities than LCA (that's essentially an offshoot of AirForce version). It's something Tejas designers realized the hard way, mid-way through their efforts (of converting the AirForce version to Navy version). They've admitted several times that their early belief was grossly incorrect; a naval fighter needs to be designed for carrier operations right from ground up.

That said, I am still rooting for the naval jugaad that is LCA Navy Mk2 :)

kr9

Country flag
I just did a quick calculation (using your method) for a modest weapons load of 3,500 kgs. TWR for the following aircraft are:

Rafale : 0.798
F18 : 0.789
LCA : 0.717
Hi, your posts are informative & I had a doubt regarding the engine thrust output:--

The Mig-29 / 35 are supposedly using 2 x 88 kN engines.
Since we may make a twin-engine, larger Tejas for the navy, is it not possible to use 2 x 98 kN Kaveri engines, rather than deal with F414?

Off topic w.r.t IAF LCA Mk1:-- Gripen(with Volvo turbofan) has 1x80 kN engine and relatively similar weight as Tejas. F404 also shows similar output . How did such an engine win over our 98 kN Kaveri?

PS:--The data is from wikipedia & http://www.aviatia.net/gripen-vs-mig-35/

Scrutator

Hi, your posts are informative & I had a doubt regarding the engine thrust output:--

The Mig-29 / 35 are supposedly using 2 x 88 kN engines.
Since we may make a twin-engine, larger Tejas for the navy, is it not possible to use 2 x 98 kN Kaveri engines, rather than deal with F414?
Putting in an additional engine means a complete redesign of the aircraft (the weight distribution, wings, air intakes, flight control software etc), it can be done but it won't be Tejas/LCA anymore - essentially it's moving towards AMCA.

Off topic w.r.t IAF LCA Mk1:-- Gripen(with Volvo turbofan) has 1x80 kN engine and relatively similar weight as Tejas. F404 also shows similar output . How did such an engine win over our 98 kN Kaveri?

PS:--The data is from wikipedia & http://www.aviatia.net/gripen-vs-mig-35/
GE 404 was the original engine (built for F18); it went on to become quite popular as about 1000+ F18s were built. Since Tejas project started in the late 80s/early 90s, 404 engine was chosen. GE came up with 414 much later (as an improvement for F18s again). The Tejas project kept chugging along with 404 in their design (414 being slightly larger in diameter didn't lend itself to a simple plug-n-play into Tejas design). Kaveri project never really came out of it's gestation period through the design phase of Tejas.
Indian Navy (late entrant to the project) wanted a higher thrust engine; and hence 414 became an option but still required some redesign. When Air Force noted the rework (and as they were unhappy with 404 on Tejas) they piled onto Mk2 version. But of course Mk2 was taking forever to come through as ADA wanted to get all the carrier features into the design (which effort they had totally underestimated as they had little a priori knowledge of carrier operations). Unable to wait for airforce Mk2 to come through IAF and HAL did an interim jugaad of Tejas Mk1A (with 404 engine itself).

Essentially the whole project was mismanaged. If right decisions were taken at the right time we would probably have had several squadrons of Tejas flying by now. But all is not lost!! Tejas Mk1A with very modern avionics will be a reasonably good fighter.

Buying military equipment is like buying an insurance policy; when you don't have it you're sweating all the time because you're not prepared for a bad eventuality. But once you get it, you don't care about the 'risky' duration you put yourself through (and maybe even happy that you saved money during that phase :) )

Last edited:
Reactions: kr9

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

yes, very likely. NP2 was the fighter variant of the N-LCA Mk1 that was basically the same as the NP1 twin seater, with the rear cockpit faired over. This was the latest rendering that was shown at AI-2017. Rough, but gives the idea.

===================

2h
Delhi Defence Review‏ @delhidefence
Cmd Balaji (ADA) says LCA Mark 2 prototype expected by 2020. Parallel development for CATOBAR capability dev in parallel for IAC2.

Cmd Balaji says 1 metre length extension for Mk-2 likely. MTOW target is in the 16-16.5 ton range.

2h
Delhi Defence Review‏ @delhidefence
25 percent increase in internal fuel volume for the LCA Navy Mk-2 is also a design goal.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Lets not make this thread a comparison sake thread ..

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Insisting on twin engined aircraft seems more like a tantrum, when they've the opportunity to get Mk2 custom designed for their needs. LCA Mk2 aircraft will definitely be inferior to Rafale-M or F18; but with the complete armament package (Brahmos NG, Nirbhay, Astra etc.) LCA Mk2 will be as formidable and less expensive than the foreign ones!!

One thing that Indian military leaders still don't understood well is Macro-economics and Public-policy. If they were given some classes on these subjects they would understand that by procuring local armaments, their military budgets will sore enormously!! Because, it make good politics and public-policy for the politicians. If millions of citizens are employed in the defense industry then the government will be forced to keep buying more or newer equipment to keep the jobs. One of the big reasons US keeps building so many ships and planes is because shutting down ship-building yards and other manufacturing facilities results in job losses that makes bad politics!!!

If India truly wants to become an 'expenditure' based economy like most western countries, then the easiest way is to boost defense production(I think Modi understands this well) - the military will then get almost unlimited budgets (because all the money is getting reinvested, and no politician can ever say no to local job creation!!)

Perhaps, the Generals should be mandated to take some Macro-economic/Public-policy courses!!!
Do you have Any specific input to say ,"tejas mk2 Naval will be inferior to rafale & F-18"?

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Definitely, Rafale is a far better aircraft than Mig-29K or N-LCA(which won't be available till 2025!).
Rafale has only done 'simulations' of ski jump take-off. Maybe they could demonstrate it on the land-based ski jump test facility that IN uses. The advantage with N-LCA (when it becomes a reality) is that it will be configured to carry some awesome Indian weaponry (especially the Brahmos NG, Nirbhay & Astra ).
It is still not confirmed that Tejas mk2 navy is capable of firing brahmos NG.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
"It is wrong to say the Navy does not support the LCA ...You are being misinformed by an internal lobby," he said.

The statement made has some real weight ..
this is a disgusting lobbying effort by few vested interests.

At present No one has demonstrated to Indian navy a naval fighter that is better than Tejas navy mk2 , which can operate from ski jump type IN carriers with decent loads & good enough air to air performance.

So why key Navy serving & retired guys are lining up to shoot at tejas navy mk2?

the ways of indian defence forces are always a mystery to me.

Scrutator

It is still not confirmed that Tejas mk2 navy is capable of firing brahmos NG.
Neither of them are fully designed yet :)
But it would be gross negligence if LCA Navy Mk2 did not carry Brahmos NG. Brahmos-NG air launched anti-ship would be so much more lethal if it can be carried few extra hundred kms (say about 400!) to attack hostile ships or other strategic land targets.
(it is not completely clear as yet if the current Brahmos ship based missiles are getting the range extension or not - if for some unknown reason they are not, then the above configuration becomes all the more pertinent)

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Disturbing isn't it?

The likes of Shiv Aroor who are going on all expenses paid trips to Sweden for SAAB and the US for Boeing and enjoy major Ad revenue thanks to the same OEMs.
Shiv Arror is not a technically qualified defence analyst.

he is just a defence reporter, & thankfully now moved on to mainstream reporting , without loading LIVEFIST with useless trivia.

Currently it is the navy guy balaji , who is heading tejas mk2, IAf & NAVY effort.

So you cant find another foreign naval fighter that can be tailor made for IN's skijump carriers with decent loads.

FOR EMAL equipped carriers every MNC has a naval fighter to peddle, Not for SkiJump carriers.

And Mig-29' K's maitanance issues in IAF are legendary. Less said the better about Mig 29 K navy version.

So tejas NAvy mk2 is a very important little fighter for In before it gets its hands on EMAL equipped carriers.

Scrutator

Do you have Any specific input to say ,"tejas mk2 Naval will be inferior to rafale & F-18"?
As a matter of fact, I might. We just did an exercise earlier in the thread to calculate the TWR for various aircraft with 3.5 tonne weapons payload:

I just did a quick calculation (using your method) for a modest weapons load of 3,500 kgs. TWR for the following aircraft are:

Rafale : 0.798
F18 : 0.789
LCA : 0.717
LCA Navy Mk2 is being groomed to be carrier specific; although one has to admit that F18 has been custom designed for Carrier ops, while Rafale M has also proven itself quite well. Irrespective of there TWR, they are designed very well for lowSpeed-HighLift capabilities. We'll see how LCA Navy Mk2 will turn out to be (with its extended LEVCONs).

Disclaimer: I am an advocate for LCA Navy Mk2; but truth and facts should also be told!

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Thanks for your reply.

As far as I can fathom, any aircraft to takeoff from Ski-jump two parameters are most important i.e. TWR and Wing Loading.

TWR = Available Power in proportion to weight of aircraft to propel it to speed.

Wing Loading = How much weight per sq mtr of wing area has bear to lift aircraft in air. The lower the Wing Loading lesser the effort Aircraft has to exert to lift itself in Air. Higher the Wing Loading higher the Aircraft has to exert to lift itself in Air.

Lower Wing Loading Aircraft needs much smaller Runway to lift itself up from the Runway in comparison to Higher Wing Loading Aircraft having same thrust.

How much superior will be Rafale-M to Tejas MK-2 in above parameters.

Specification of Rafale-M
Empty Weight: 10600 Kg.
Internal Fuel: 4700 Kg.
Total Take-off Weight: 15300 Kg.

Wet Thrust: (2X75kN) = 150kN

TWR (Without any weapons load) = 0.98

Wing area: 45.7 m² (492 ft²)
So the Wing Loading of Rafale-M with 15300Kg. = 334.7921 Kg/sq.mtr.

Specification of Naval Tejas-MK2
Empty Weight: 7000 Kg.
Internal Fuel: 3158 Kg.
Total Take-off Weight: 10158 Kg.

Wet Thrust: 98 kN.

TWR (Without any weapons load) = 0.965

Wing area: 38.4 m² (413 ft²)
So the Wing Loading of Naval Tejas-MK2 with 10158Kg. = 264.5313 Kg/sq.mtr.

Rafale-M Naval Tejas-MK2

TWR: 0.98 0.965
(Negligible difference in TWR of both the aircrafts)

Rafale-M Naval Tejas-MK2
Wing Loading: 334.7921 264.5313
(Vast diff of 70.26087 Kg/sq.mtr. in favour of Naval Tejas-MK2)

Hence Rafale-M will be far inferior to Naval Tejas-MK2 in Ski-jump operations.

Please also fathom:

Rafale-M has to support 15300Kg weight with 4700Kg fuel with (50kNx2=100kN) military engine thrust.

And Naval-Tejas-MK2 has to support 10158Kg with 3158Kg fuel with 58kN military engine thrust.

Hence Rafale-M will be far inferior to Naval-Tejas-MK2 in combat range. Because where Naval-Tejas-MK2 will be burning 3158Kg fuel for 50kN and weight 10158Kg while cruising. Rafale-M will be burning 4700Kg fuel with 100kN (Twin Engine) and weight 15300kg while cruising.

Caveat: As Naval-Tejas-MK2’s specifications are not clear till now, I made above calculations on following assumptions.

1) Empty Weight of Tejas in current format + 500 Kgs of weight increase in MK-2 format. i.e. 6500+500 = 7000 Kg empty weight.

2) Fuel Capacity of Tejas in current format + 700 Kgs of increase in capacity due to enlargement of Fuselage and volume increase in fuselage due realignment of landing gear from current fuselage position to wing roots.

3) Wing Area of Tejas Remains the same as on MK-1.

Please correct the above premise where you feel it is wrong.

*My only worry is - Naval-Tejas-MK-1 passes the Arrester Wire Landing without any trouble.
It's nice to see fact filled posts like this. keep up the good work.

tejas mk1 navy itself has better than expected ski jump take off experience pleasantly surprising the testing team, thanks to lowere wing loadings & LEVCON assistance.

You can see the link below on rafale's reuion island flight profile,
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/drdo-and-psu-news-and-discussion.55/page-72

fancy ranges are always given by fighter makers to fool the public.

Only thing that defines combat useful range is fuel factor.

%th planes can supercruise with combat loads to get higher ranges.

But 4th gen planes with low load superscruise cant give out of the world combat range in combat conditions, in strike profiles defying their fuel factor.

So beware of the guys who try to fool us all with out of the world ranges.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
As a matter of fact, I might. We just did an exercise earlier in the thread to calculate the TWR for various aircraft with 3.5 tonne weapons payload:

LCA Navy Mk2 is being groomed to be carrier specific; although one has to admit that F18 has been custom designed for Carrier ops, while Rafale M has also proven itself quite well. Irrespective of there TWR, they are designed very well for lowSpeed-HighLift capabilities. We'll see how LCA Navy Mk2 will turn out to be (with its extended LEVCONs).

Disclaimer: I am an advocate for LCA Navy Mk2; but truth and facts should also be told!
You should always combine "Wing Loading " with TWR to get a real picture.

F-18 has double the wing loading of tejas & rafale too has 25percent higher wing loading than tejas.

that means tejas wings can generate higher lift than rafale & f-18 in skijump for the same load

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/alternatives-to-dassault-rafale.63921/page-6

"it was publicly mentioned that that Rafale took 10 hours for 1000 Km reunion island sortie with just two external fuel tanks and five inflight refuellings."

SO if you take a 6 total fuellings , (we can safely assume that rafales took off with full fuel) it comes to around 1 hour 50 minutes approx for each unrefuelled segment.

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/alternatives-to-dassault-rafale.63921/page-6

This is not so difficult to answer. There are many ways to answer this question. You know that the ferry range is 1700 kms with 1200 ltr drop tanks. So it must at least have a 2 hour endurance under cruise condition.

Another way is to calculate it is from the SFC. But you would need to know the thrust required for the flight at the aforementioned range. I don't know that. But let us continue. For example, let us find the endurance at maximum speed without afterburner. We know that:
1. SFC for military thrust = approx. 84 (kg/kN-hr) .
2. Maximum military thrust = approx. 54 kN.
3. Therefore, the rate of fuel consumption at this speed = approx. 54 kN * 84 kg/(KN-hr) = approx. 4536 kg/hr.
4. Total fuel: 2 X 1200 ltr tanks and about 2600 kg of internal fuel = approx. 4600 kg
5. Therefore, endurance in this regime is nearly 1 hour, and you would have flown around 800-900 kms.

You can do the same thing with afterburners. It will be about half an hour (but you will most probably cook the engine before that).

I want to know why you find endurance important? You can fly slower, hang in there longer and travel lesser. What would be the point?

SO for a combat sortie with 1300 Km combat radius stretching over two hours fifteen minutes Gripen NG would need more than 9 tons of fuel (that too only in case it was flown below super sonic speeds(not possible considering its max endurance)) .

GE-414 is a bit better at SFC. But looking at it any way things don't tally here!!!!!!!!

The su-24 is advertised as

Operational radius of action at sea level in mixed mode (Vcr in the 200-km area, V=900 km/h in other areas) with PTB external fuel tanks and 6x FAB -500M-62 bombs, 615 km.

Whose specs are
Crew: Two (pilot and weapons system operator)
Length: 22.53 m (73 ft 11 in)
Wingspan: 17.64 m extended, 10.37 m maximum sweep (57 ft 10 in / 34 ft 0 in)
Height: 6.19 m (20 ft 4 in)
Wing area: 55.2 m² (594 ft²)
Empty weight: 22,300 kg (49,165 lb)
Loaded weight: 38,040 kg (83,865 lb)
Max. takeoff weight: 43,755 kg (96,505 lb)
Powerplant: 2 × Saturn/Lyulka AL-21F-3A turbojets
Dry thrust: 75 kN (16,860 lbf) each
Thrust with afterburner: 109.8 kN (24,675 lbf) each
Fuel capacity: 11,100 kg (24,470 lb)
Performance

Maximum speed: 1,315 km/h (710 kn, 815 mph, Mach 1.08) at sea level; Mach 1.35 (1,654 km/h) at high altitude
Combat radius: 615 km in a low-flying (lo-lo-lo) attack mission with 3,000 kg (6,615 lb) ordnance and external tanks ()
Ferry range: 2,775 km (1,500 nm, 1,725 mi)
Service ceiling: 11,000 m (36,090 ft)
Rate of climb: 150 m/s (29,530 ft/min)
Wing loading: 651 kg/m² (133 lb/ft²)

Additionally, I should mention that a similar first order analysis for the LCA yields a range (one-way) of ~1550 km (give or take) assuming only internal fuel of (2500 kg) at 10,000 feet at Mach 0.6 (measured at sea level). This Mach 0.6 requirement in cruise stems from the need to carry only internal fuel and empty weight of the aircraft, i.e. no external fuel tanks.

So for the above flight profile setup, the combat radius comes out to ~700 km.

But this carries no payload and or fuel tanks. Fuel tanks will increase range. Payload and external tanks will increase drag and reduce range. I will try and put up some numbers for that later when I get some time to model the tanks underneath the wings (been wanting to do that for some time but this argument about the LCA range has finally sent me over the deep end 8) ).

Edit: So the addition of two external drop tanks provides an increment of about 33% in drag at the benefit of additional ~1900 kg of fuel. This amounts to about ~2000 km ferry range. Assuming that there is significant burnoff of fuel during climb and recovery, the 1700 km ferry range quoted by the document listed above makes sense.

Additionally, I should mention that a similar first order analysis for the LCA yields a range (one-way) of ~1550 km (give or take) assuming only internal fuel of (2500 kg) at 10,000 feet at Mach 0.6 (measured at sea level). This Mach 0.6 requirement in cruise stems from the need to carry only internal fuel and empty weight of the aircraft, i.e. no external fuel tanks.

So for the above flight profile setup, the combat radius comes out to ~700 km.

But this carries no payload and or fuel tanks. Fuel tanks will increase range. Payload and external tanks will increase drag and reduce range. I will try and put up some numbers for that later when I get some time to model the tanks underneath the wings (been wanting to do that for some time but this argument about the LCA range has finally sent me over the deep end 8) ).

Edit: So the addition of two external drop tanks provides an increment of about 33% in drag at the benefit of additional ~1900 kg of fuel. This amounts to about ~2000 km ferry range. Assuming that there is significant burnoff of fuel during climb and recovery, the 1700 km ferry range quoted by the document listed above makes sense.

Bottom line is that you determine what the flight characteristics needs to be to lift X kg of mass of the aircraft at a certain altitude and corresponding atmospheric conditions. If you know the CL-AOA behavior of the wing, the minimum required Mach number in cruise is determined. For the present case, at 10,000 feet AGL, the required Mach number for cruise without payload or tanks comes out to Mach 0.6. This is then used to evaluate the net drag on the fuselage. Again, modeling the induced-drag profile of the mean-camber wing plus a Reynolds number based skin-friction drag model gives you representative CDi and CDo values. The sum of these parameters (plus correction factors for additional drag from fuselage and empennages) gives you a net cruise drag coefficient. Multiply this by the dynamic pressure using the Mach 0.6 conditions and you will get the net required thrust to maintain this constant speed.

For the present case, the required thrust came out to ~0.29 Kg/sec for the LCA, which is below what you get assuming full thrust from engine (~1.232 Kg/sec). The reason for this is that the entire engine thrust is not needed for balancing drag at higher altitudes and moderate speeds. Same reason why all aircraft perform better the higher they climb for the cruise part of their flight.

Knowing the fuel consumption and the cruise Mach number (measured relative to Sea-Level atmospheric conditions) provides you with the ability to calculate how far the aircraft can go if it went in a straight line.

For the LCA, this came out to be ~1550 km as stated previously.

Note that this is all a first order analysis, of course, and only meant to be a sanity check on performance. I used to teach such relatively simple (back of the envelope) methods to students as a way to bypass the complexity of full-up computational methods when quick analysis is required.

Add about 30% on drag increment for the external payload on this one (~8% each for one large bomb plus pylon effects). The range is then reduced to around ~1190 km. Combat radius is reduced to around ~500 km or less.

The Beta Coefficient...: Search results for lca

Some interesting statements on combat range of tejas in different profiles, presented by Vivek Ahuja

Low altitude air space penetration flight profile (4x 250 kg bombs, fuel max internal and all available external)combat radius of 700 Km,

high altitude PGM attack profile (2 LGBs , all available external and internal fuel)- a combat radius of 1200 Km,

HAL gives a radius of action up to 500 Km for tejas, but does not specifies the fuel or weapon combo along with flight altitude,

Mirage-2000 has a fuel fraction of around 30 percent similar to tejas,

So I think there won't be any significant difference combat range between the two fighters if similar altitude and roles are assigned with optimum load capacity for each fighter,

we need to know what is the combat range of jags in indian hot arid climatic conditions. that is the key. Simply wiki figures are not enough.

needs some clarification as well,

but for what i was asking for when in a lightly loaded CAP mission a fighter could only endure 2.15 hours , how the hell it is going to last 1300 Km comabt radius(2x1300 Km is 2600 Km ) in a combat sorties and with what endurance , what speed and what fuel burn rate and with how much fuel requirements?

if you have any relevant calculations please post, thanks,

What is the amount of fuel needed for this combat mission , whether it was in lo-lo mode or hi-lo-hi mode and with what weapon config.

But no body is asking for educated guess around here, what I meant was how long would gripen take to complete its ferry range of 4000 Km. that is the essence of my post.

First understand in which context a questionis raised before name calling, I was not name calling any one in my post, got it?

SO ANSWER HOW MUCH TIME WILL IT TAKE FOR GRIPEN NG TO COMPLETE ITS 4000 Km ferry range(If max endurance in lightly loaded combat air patrol is just 2hours fifteen minutes)

And what is the particular reason that makes you hot under collar whenever I make a comparison of gripen range with tejas? I was not pronouncing any judgements here, just asking guys to reconcile the calculations in the two links they themselves gave. thats all.

The reason I wanted to raise it was it was publicly mentioned that that Rafale took 10 hours for 1000 Km reunion island sortie with just two external fuel tanks and five inflight refuellings.

So rafale can fly 2+ hours with a single refuel ..and It takes nearly 11 hours to reach Reunion Island. distance from French mainland to
Reunion Island is about 5,717 miles or 9200 KM ..so nearly 900 KM per Hour or 560 mile Per Hour ..interesting

there were 2 Two Seater Rafale carrying two Fuel tanks looks like 1200liters Tank enroute to reunion islands

a two seater rafale along with two 1200 liter tank can fly more than 2 hours can go 900km up/down ..So it's well we can see Rafale in SEAD config can engage target upto 400KM inside enemy territory with out Drop tanks ..

two drop tanks with a Full combat load it can go around 500 KM inside hostile Territory can Destroy enemy Infrastructure

with decent A2A load along with two or three Drop tanks can stay in the air for more than 2 hours can act as a Good CAP platform.

Can we assume that its practical non refuelled radius of action with normal combat weapon load is about 900 Km?
The page above has some heated discussions about how fighter makers fool us with fancy ranges that never exist on the planet.

Dour HAL is yet to learn the art of lying.

Since I am out of time nowadays, I rarely have the time to make these lengthy posts.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles