Naval LCA Tejas

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
when are we expecting First Navy version of Tejas?

Warhawk

LCA Navy back in the air after 2 years

India's first indigenous naval fighter jet for aircraft carrier operations, the LCA Navy, is back in the air and has notched up 20 flights in its log book. After its maiden flight in April 2012 and quick routine of four flights, the aircraft was grounded for a major re-design of its undercarriage with help from EADS/Airbus Group. After missing at least two test windows, the team in Bangalore was finally confident enough to get the first naval prototype NP1 back in air on March 22 for 35 minute flight in which the aircraft went supersonic for a few minutes at 1.1 Mach. The LCA Navy Mk.1 fleet of eight prospective aircraft will almost definitely be dedicated for conversion training and familiarisation of aircrew. It will be the more powerful LCA Navy Mk.II (46 on order), powered by the GE F414 turbofan engine that will actually be used for carrier-borne operations on the new Vikrant-class aircraft carrier as well as the INS Vikramaditya.

LCA Navy back in the air after 2 years - SP's Naval Forces

vinodkumar

Tejas lca navy : The role over the seas

AS we already know that navy is geeting teeth as the MIG 29 k was inducted .what should be the role of tejas in the navy ? and how much its far from induction in indian navy.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Re: Tejas lca navy : The role over the seas

AS we already know that navy is geeting teeth as the MIG 29 k was inducted .what should be the role of tejas in the navy ? and how much its far from induction in indian navy.

NLCA is indigenous and lighter. Which means it would cost less to operate.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
New Delhi: The naval variant of India's indigenous light combat aircraft (LCA) is due to soon begin ramp trials. Avinash Chander, scientific adviser to the Defence Minister and Director General Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), told India Strategic magazine (..:: India Strategic ::.. Home Page: The authoritative monthly on Defence and Strategic Affairs.) that the LCA-Navy had already done more than 25 test flights from a runway. As these were successful and met the designated parameters, the aircraft will now be deployed at a naval base in Goa to commence ramp flights, probably after the monsoon. Goa, on the Arabian seafront, has a major naval air station, INS Hansa, where the MiG-29Ks for Indian aircraft carriers are also located. The station has a 14-degree ramp along with necessary testing sensors and paraphernalia to monitor the flights and was specifically built as part of the indigenous LCA-Navy development programme. But as it is a national naval asset, it is shared by the MiG-29Ks for training pilots and flight tests. Both the aircraft need the same degree in the ramp, matching the one on INS Vikramaditya, acquired from Russia, and INS Vikrant, now being built at the Kochi shipyard. Chander said that the flight tests are being conducted with LCA Mark-I to prove certain technologies and to familiarise the naval pilots with them. One aircraft is operational, another is on the anvil and a third will son be available to complete the trials. After that, for full weaponised operations aboard carriers, will come the LCA Mark-II powered by GE 414 engines, according to India Strategic. The naval variant, being tested from the HAL airport in Bangalore, has a bigger undercarriage that Hindustan Aeronautics has built to facilitate deck landings. The development programme is coordinated by a one-star naval pilot.
Indian Navy Light Combat Aircraft to soon begin test flights - IBNLive

rohit b3

Country flag

Lower RCS than Mig29K too I guess. A smaller/lighter/stealthier aircraft always fits in certain roles where other aircrafts wont be as suitable.

jmj_overlord

maybe interception and close air support.... mig 29k might be front line fighters for the navy

vinodkumar

and one more things which feel to me very intresting.. as lca is small and lightweight we can deploy them more than mig 29 k in a ship is it just a guess!!?

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag

and one more things which feel to me very intresting.. as lca is small and lightweight we can deploy them more than mig 29 k in a ship is it just a guess!!?
you cant deploy aircraft on ship. Its aircraft carrier. Both have different role. One will be on vikramaditya and other on vikrant. Tejas mk1 is not for carrier borne operation but tejas mk2 mainly. It doesn't means mk1 won't gonna be used but in lesser numbers ie 6.

vinodkumar

you cant deploy aircraft on ship. Its aircraft carrier. Both have different role. One will be on vikramaditya and other on vikrant. Tejas mk1 is not for carrier borne operation but tejas mk2 mainly. It doesn't means mk1 won't gonna be used but in lesser numbers ie 6.
yes sir i was saying aircraft carrier ..my mistake to write as ship.. so i was asking how many tejas we can place on vikramaditya size of aircraft carrier?

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag

Correction. An Aircraft Carrier is but a large ship with specific facilities built in which enables it to operate multiple aircrafts. Every ship has their specific role, hence their 'Class; is mentioned as 'Frgate', 'Cruiser', ;Destroyer' or 'Aircraft Carrier'. Or additional sub-classification like Air-defence Destroyer or ASW Cruiser or Helicopter Carrier etc. Naval Tejas is but a modified for Carrier-borne version of Tejas MK-1. The development work of MK-2 has started but it is still a few years away from realisation.

Yes. The LCA's dimension being smaller, more of them may be carried than Mig-29K. But smaller size has its own set of Cons like low range, lower load (armament) capacity etc. Hence, the IN may operate both of them.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag

yes sir i was saying aircraft carrier ..my mistake to write as ship.. so i was asking how many tejas we can place on vikramaditya size of aircraft carrier?
no need to call me sir. I don't know how much it will carry.
@jackprince . The payload and range criteria is not a too important as aircraft carrier carries it.

Last edited by a moderator:

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag

The payload and range criteria is not a too important as aircraft carrier carries it.
Not true. Payload is important as it determines the how lethal the AC would be in any scenario or how many sorties it would have to make. Simply put, the criteria of payload itself is prime factor of whether the AC would be light, medium or heavy. Further, a AC with bigger payload can carry same no. of armament of a smaller AC to a longer distance by adding external fuel tanks. Also payload determines the no. and type of missiles/bombs the AC can carry. See it like that if LCA can carry 2 BVR Missiles then Mig-29K can carry 4 and F-18 can carry 6 (not being specific, just an idea).

Further, the range of an AC is always important, as it doesn't mean only to and fro distance from a carrier, but also determines the combat range. An average combat range is always far far below the normal range of any AC, as usage of after burner guzzles fuel. As range depends on fuel capacity of an AC, the weight issue again comes into the fore. Also, don't forget there are many land based cheaper AShW missiles available that can threaten the CBG from 200-300 kms. Hence, the AC with more range is the one which will be able to carry deep penetrating strikes.

Frankly, every scenario has it's own mix of weapon systems. When USA with their loads of money can easily operate the heavy F-18s for every role, mix of High-Mid-Low may be the key IN is looking for to keep operation costs down? Also, it is IN, they are more pragmatic and so encourages the home industry more.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
lca can carry 3 bvr. The more payload and fuel a ac carrier the more its rcs so more threat from sam.
I don't see any point in naval fighters carrying more bvrs. And tejas can carry 8 missiles at once so even we have 30 on one carrier, it can carry 240 missiles once. The range is 850km so it is enough for pakistan. Tejas mk2 will be used against china with a combat range of 1300.
mk1 also can be used against chinese ships and costal areas. And also it can be used against its eastern cities with help of hiding carrier in japanese sea territory. @jackprince

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
lca can carry 3 bvr. The more payload and fuel a ac carrier the more its rcs so more threat from sam.
I don't see any point in naval fighters carrying more bvrs. And tejas can carry 8 missiles at once so even we have 30 on one carrier, it can carry 240 missiles once. The range is 850km so it is enough for pakistan. Tejas mk2 will be used against china with a combat range of 1300.
mk1 also can be used against chinese ships and costal areas. And also it can be used against its eastern cities with help of hiding carrier in japanese sea territory. @jackprince

See, what you are doing is planning one the basis of present threat scenario. But no military should prepare for the present threat scenario only.

Further, the BVR example was just to give an idea. Replace the BVR with other armaments. How many targets a light AC with less payload can strike than a heavier AC with more payload strike.

Also, if LCA's range is 850KM it's combat radius would be smaller.

Anyway, the debate was on light AC vs Medium AC - not confined to LAC and Mig-29K

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
@jackprince for eg a heavier plane vs tejas mk2.
now a plane fully loaded ( which will also have huge rcs) can track a light aircraft early? I think tejas will track it first. @jackprince. And tejas mk1 naval is not gonna used for carrier operations.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
now a plane fully loaded ( which will also have huge rcs) can track a light aircraft early? I think tejas will track it first. @jackprince. And tejas mk1 naval is not gonna used for carrier operations.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
You have to understand, every weapon system in this world have its own sets of pros and cons. It is the respective military organisations who determine the probable threat scenario and response by mixing and matching the weapon systems. So, ultimately it is the IN which would determine what they require.

A fully loaded LCA, when will have less RCS would still be visible from quite a distance so as to negate full advantage of its low RCS.

AFAIK, NLCA would be based on Mk1 not Mk2. When MK2 has materialized then may be they would go for navalising it. And, NLCA would very well be operated from carriers, else what is the need of developing it?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles