Naval LCA Tejas

Flame Thrower

@Kunal Biswas

I thought MiG 29Ks are in good shape and without any issues (issues sorted)...

Harriers retired....

NLCA is at least a decade away.....

Please don't say that we are looking for another contract...

If everything goes well for 15 yrs we may replace all navy fighters with NLCA and hopefully N FGFA(is not in the cards yet, but we may see it down the line)

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
NLCA is not a decade away but few more years, We better not be looking for more varieties ..

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Yes, thanks for correcting me....

I wasn't following NLCA closely as it is just a study project and mock up version to identify the issues with Naval A/C..
The real deal shall be Tejas Mk2 Navy. It will be an ultra long range low drag 116 KN engine jet with all goodies. Working of landing gear weight reduction should make LCA Navy viable for navy. Bring the weight down to 6.2 ton and it will be a hit.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Mr Lanba is searching for a hypothetical plane here on an STOBAR platform. His issues were right on its own, but his search to solve these are highly hypothetical.

First issue he talked about is of TWR. Its true that with current F404, NLCA would be on shorter side of Max Take off weight. But it could be solved by incorporating F414. Here he is talking more in terms of dual engine fighter. We are already using Mig 29 for that. But he is again talking something beyond. Obviously he is directing towards F-18 Hornet or Super Hornet. Because I don't see any other carrier based fighter fit for the role. Now F-18 is a good fighter, but if you are creating ground for its induction without any head to head tests with other contemporaries, then doubt do arise.

Second issue he talked about is of anti rust air frame. Now I believe Tejas with its carbon composite is the best bet here. Some parts can't be made of composites and would always subject to rust and wear and tear in sea environment. That's one of the reason why Naval aircraft are high maintenance fighters. He is talking about a hypothetical anti corrosive fighter here.

Third issue is strengthened undercarriage for arrested recovery. Now here I can't comment on Tejas because its suppose to be undergoing test on board INS Hansa. But as far as by knowledge goes, it is the first thing to be done in any naval airship and same goes for NLCA.

swap

Clearly the enemy will not be so undestanding and considerate.
By that logic India shouldn't have made the first iterations of Agnis and Prithvis , it shouldn't have ventured into space with its puny little Aslv .

kstriya

Country flag
Guys wait for a statement from DM, he will kick the butt of the naval chief to fall in line like the IAF guys. Hold on. I believe we will have a spinoff of MK1A for the NLCA till MK2 is made available.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
We have to keep in mind that Admiral is taking about prototype not production model by his statement ..

He is clearly asking for import to replace NLCA single engine fighter, The timeline mentioned is the time when this prototype will be ready for production, Their was no need to drag NLCA into this regardless.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
I read this news. I would like to know by how many kilogrammes is it overwieght? Someone please shed some light.

they needed to get back to design guys about the specifics

Guys wait for a statement from DM, he will kick the butt of the naval chief to fall in line like the IAF guys. Hold on. I believe we will have a spinoff of MK1A for the NLCA till MK2 is made available.
once DM has some specifics and if the overweight can be overcome
then whoever made the overweight statement
should wear some extra around the bottom

either he has been misquoted by the press , which let's be fair is entirely possible , in which case he can clarify to DM .....or he needs whats coming to him

@nick_indian @Deadshot Para Guy@Google@republic_roi97@Defcon 1 @GhanteshwarSER=21606] @Ramdasrathsuryavanshi[/USER] @vinay535@Darth Malgus USER=14856]@Rushil51[/USER] @rishivashista13
@Ramdasrathsuryavanshi@Imaxxx@Eastman @raheel besharam @Bullet@raja696@Ankit Purohit@Akshay_Fenix@aditya10r@Akask kumar@airtel@angeldude13@aditya10r@Abhijat@Ancient Indian@anupamsurey@aliyah @ @Alien@AravindSanjeev @Achauhan @asingh10@AdityaG@asianobserve@Bahamut @BATTLEFIELD @Berkut@bose@Bornubus@brational@blueblood@Blackwater
@Blood+@bhai-117@Bangalorean@bengalraider
@Bengal_Tiger@biswas_k11 @BharatEkKhoj @BroodFather @cobracommando @Chirag @ChrisJude @Chinmoy@Cadian@DingDong@dhananjay1@ersakthivel@FRYCRY
@G10@Gessler@garg_bharat@guru-dutt @HariSud
@hit&run@hardip@HeinzGud@indiandefencefan@I_PLAY_BAD @IndianDevil @Indibomber@Jangaruda
@JayPatel @jackprince@Kshatriya87@kstriya@LETHALFORCE@laughingbuddha@mhk99@Mikesingh@mayfair@MetsaMan@Markantony @manutdfan@maomao @NavneetKundu @Neil @NickyG @OneGrimPilgrim@pmaitra@parijataka@PaliwalWarrior@Pulkit@PrashantAzazel@rahulsingh@Rowdy@Razor@Rashna@[email protected]@shade@sasum@smestarz @SakalGhareluUstad @Srinivas_K@Shashank Sharma@SANITY
@sunnyv@sgarg@sabari@Sameet2@saik@sorcerer@Superdefender@sydsnyper@Sridevi@SREEKAR@Screambowl@Sylex21 @TacticalFrog @TejasMK3 @Theenlightened @tejaswarrior @tharun@thethinker@tsunami@TODELU@VIP@VaghaDeva@Vishwarupa@Vishal Guts@Yusuf@Yumdoot@Zebra

harsh

Country flag
Navy chief’s saying aircraft’s naval version did not meet timeline ‘hurtful’, says LCA Tejas director

In his first remarks after Chief of Naval Staff (CNS) Admiral Sunil Lanba yesterday rejected the under-developed naval version of the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas for ‘not meeting timelines’ and being plagued by ‘further delays’, Programme Director CD Balaji, who heads the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), termed the remark ‘hurtful’, adding that ‘it will only strengthen our resolve’. The ADA functions under the Ministry of Defence (MoD) and consists of scientists who designed the LCA Tejas. WHAT LCA PROGRAMME DIRECTOR SAID Responding to Lanba’s comments, he said, “We have two technology demonstrators for LCA Navy in place, which are Mk1. We were looking at Mk2 now which would be an optimised design and a necessary step in the path of design and development to any future configurations”. As per those in the know, it was explained that to simply tick an aircraft off and expect to jump to the next level is impossible. “Even F35, with all the might of the multinational effort, is still evolving. There are no shortcuts. As such, developing the naval version is a much tougher ask with constraints in the runway, folding blades and operating in tougher environs as against operating from a land-based fixed runway,” said a source. Balaji also said, “We know the Raksha Mantri is with us and we are proceeding with the programme as per the government’s directions. It will not affect us. I have spoken to my team and we believe that this will only strengthen our resolve”. “Once the naval version’s Mk2 is ready, we will move to discussing matters on the next level and the progress of the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA), which is on ADA’s drawing board. The navy chief’s remarks are being read as a hint that the force is now only interested in the AMCA, and not Tejas anymore”, he added. The navy chief made it clear that while the force would support indigenous efforts to build a carrier-borne aircraft, the navy would for now, however, seek an aircraft ‘elsewhere’. His statement is a clear indicator that the navy would go for a foreign fighter aircraft for the indigenous carrier, which is being built at Kochi presently. The INS Vikramaditya, navy’s sole operational carrier, uses the Russian MiG29K aircraft. Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, a strong votary of indigenous technology, has not reacted as yet. WHAT DID LANBA SAY? While the navy’s unhapiness with the LCA has been evident for some time now, the chief’s emphatic comments perhaps took most people by surprise. He said, “We were the first service to support the aircraft and wanted a timeline for it. The programme has not met the timeline and there are further delays. LCA Navy does not meet the navy staff requirements and thus, we need to look at an alternative aircraft to have combat capability on our aircraft carrier. We will continue to support the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) in developing an indigenous carrier-based fighter. But in the meantime, we need to have combat capability on Vikramaditya and Vikrant”. LCA – Road so far The Indian Navy has spent over Rs 3,635 crore in the development of the naval version of LCA Tejas. The Indian Air Force will be inducting a total of 120 LCA Tejas.

http://idrw.org/navy-chiefs-saying-...eet-timeline-hurtful-says-lca-tejas-director/ .

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
http://idrw.org/navy-chiefs-saying-...eet-timeline-hurtful-says-lca-tejas-director/
ADA and DRDO finally able to turn the pro Tejas Navy into a anti tejas Navy just like IAF....

I believed in terms of Tejas IAF was also responsible for the delay but for Naval version it's just ADA and DRDO failure....

Someone just close these organisation who just aim to waste public funds.....

Hatred towards ADA DRDO growing....

Hope Manohar sir brings some sense into these I think this is criminal..playing with national security....

Reactions: G10

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
anyway the statement has it's own hidden agenda, by simple thing, CNS tried not to throw harsh words over LCA Navy

as brighten, we support the LCA Navy development, but we don't need them in our carriers, many here also knows the story of MiG 29 K, G-D saves our naval aviation
Thanks to ADA and DRDO finally there efforts to sabotage Tejas totally are fully successful...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles