Naval LCA Tejas

Shashwat

Country flag
Facebook update on Navy LCA.

"There is no NP3. NP5 is in equipping stage."

So the plans for NP3/4 has been canned and a direct jump to Np5. I hope it brings all the goodness of MK1-A.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
You are correct. Those are called LEVCONs.

LEVCON: Leading Edge Vortex CONtroller

They perform other tasks as well, such as, that achieved by slats.
Actually, LEVCON is different to a slat and more similar in performance to a Canard (one in close coupled configuration). What it actually does is it directs or controls the airflow over and under the main wing to increase its performance. Least it will do is increase the controllability of NLCA at high AoA or at low-speed manoeuvring flight profiles.

So far i have seen no aircraft with LEVCON other than LCA which has both positive and negative deflection (PAK-FA has LEVCON which is deflected in only one direction). So what is the advantage of having upwards (positive) deflection? Is it to allow more controllability at negative Gs or to assist air-break in rapid deacceleration? I guess both.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Actually, LEVCON is different to a slat and more similar in performance to a Canard (one in close coupled configuration). What it actually does is it directs or controls the airflow over and under the main wing to increase its performance. Least it will do is increase the controllability of NLCA at high AoA or at low-speed manoeuvring flight profiles.

So far i have seen no aircraft with LEVCON other than LCA which has both positive and negative deflection (PAK-FA has LEVCON which is deflected in only one direction). So what is the advantage of having upwards (positive) deflection? Is it to allow more controllability at negative Gs or to assist air-break in rapid deacceleration? I guess both.
One may be to lower the landing speed.

pmaitra

Here is my cryptic response:
  • A plane flies the same way Javagal Srinath swings the cricket ball.
  • Slats increase air-flow over the wing. LEVCON does the same thing. I am not saying slats and LEVCONS are exactly the same thing. Canards will not increase air-flow over the wing.
  • Downward facing LEVCON will not reduce lift. Downward facing canards will reduce lift.

I will come back later and get deeper into this subject.

In the meanwhile, @Ancient Indian should comment in this thread.

Edited to add:

Last edited:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Here is my cryptic response:
  • A plane flies the same way Javagal Srinath swings the cricket ball.
  • Slats increase air-flow over the wing. LEVCON does the same thing. I am not saying slats and LEVCONS are exactly the same thing. Canards will not increase air-flow over the wing.
  • Downward facing LEVCON will not reduce lift. Downward facing canards will reduce lift.

I will come back later and get deeper into this subject.

In the meanwhile, @Ancient Indian should comment in this thread.
There is a thing called close-coupled Canard. Canard in J-20 is not the same as in Rafale or JAS-39. J-20's works more like a foreplane(akin to tailplane) and those in Rafale or JAS-39 works more like an assistence to main wing; they also control the airflow over and under the main wing, J-20s does not, for that it is located far ahead.

pmaitra

There is a thing called close-coupled Canard. Canard in J-20 is not the same as in Rafale or JAS-39. J-20's works more like a foreplane(akin to tailplane) and those in Rafale or JAS-39 works more like an assistence to main wing; they also control the airflow over and under the main wing, J-20s does not, for that it is located far ahead.
Yes, the close coupled canard essentially eliminates or reduces the turbulence that you would have if there is a gap between the trailing edge of the canard and the leading edge of the wing. Also, a large canard might help with maneuverability, it also introduces drag which reduces lift. A small canard, as in N-LCA will have less negative impact on lift.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
NP-2 takes off from the shorter runway..

Technically it is not short take off but a Touch-and-go. NLCA usually takes off either from conventional runways (which are much broader than what is seen here) or launch from Ski-Jump (which is definitely not the case here). Factually, while executing a touch-and-go an aircraft makes a three-wheel-contact before engaging full afterburner and taking off again. In the picture, one can clearly see afterburner in use.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Yes, the close coupled canard essentially eliminates or reduces the turbulence that you would have if there is a gap between the trailing edge of the canard and the leading edge of the wing. Also, a large canard might help with maneuverability, it also introduces drag which reduces lift. A small canard, as in N-LCA will have less negative impact on lift.
Technically, an LEVCON is just a form of an LERX with controllable-pitch. Still, it impacts the flight conditions almost the same way as a close couple canard does.

Prashant12

Country flag
The Naval prototype NP-1 taking off for a routine sortie with the LEVCONs being set up at a higher angle. At this set up, the LEVONCs supppose to aid in taking off from the ramp as well as help in coming down for an arrested landing..

Rahul Singh

Country flag
The Naval prototype NP-1 taking off for a routine sortie with the LEVCONs being set up at a higher angle. At this set up, the LEVONCs supppose to aid in taking off from the ramp as well as help in coming down for an arrested landing..

For this pic i wasted all my teenage days. I hope @P2Parda had been here to see it.

Anyway, in other words deflecting LEVCON during takeoff means better controlablity at higher AoA than usual, tighter turns and greater g pull (sustained or not deepends on TWR though), as well.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles