Naval Barak-8 Missiles, Israel, India

sthf

Country flag
Barak-8 has only 30% Indian content.
Makes sense. Last I checked, India only contributed propulsion and not much else and even that was because it was a "Joint Venture". India financed 50% of the project and will receive 50% of the profit from exports.

Israelis were perfectly capable of producing a propulsion system on their own and have done so in case of Barak 8 ER which is a 100% Israeli product.

Vijyes

Makes sense. Last I checked, India only contributed propulsion and not much else and even that was because it was a "Joint Venture". India financed 50% of the project and will receive 50% of the profit from exports.

Israelis were perfectly capable of producing a propulsion system on their own and have done so in case of Barak 8 ER which is a 100% Israeli product.
Can India make the Barak missiles on its own if it wants to? Or is there any hindrance to the technology access?

Chinmoy

Country flag
Can India make the Barak missiles on its own if it wants to? Or is there any hindrance to the technology access?
Biggest challenge would be the guidance and seeker for India. India is dependent for these two factors on many other countries including Israel, Russia, France and US.

Vijyes

Biggest challenge would be the guidance and seeker for India. India is dependent for these two factors on many other countries including Israel, Russia, France and US.
I think Akash SAM uses guidance but no seeker. How hard is it to make a seeker with the current computational capability which is near infinite?

Chinmoy

Country flag
I think Akash SAM uses guidance but no seeker. How hard is it to make a seeker with the current computational capability which is near infinite?
More then computational capability, seeker tech does depends more on applied physics and chemistry. A good example is the recent PROSPINA (NAG) with IIR seeker. To fine tune the IIR seeker, we had toiled hard for a decade or so. We have yet to see a 'hit to kill' in ASTRA.

Country flag
@Kshatriya87

(Link now needs subscription did not yesterday )

MAJOR DEFENSE DEALS TO BE SIGNED DURING HISTORIC MODI VISIT TO ISRAEL

http://m.jpost.com/Israel-News/Majo...gned-during-historic-Modi-visit-to-IsraIsrael and India are expected to sign several major defense deals during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Israel marking 25 years of diplomatic relations between the two countries.

“Defense cooperation has been one of the main pillars of bilateral engagement between the two nations” since the establishment of full diplomatic ties 1992, The Hindustan Times quoted an Indian military statement as saying in May.

Israel has been supplying India with various weapons systems, missiles and unmanned aerial vehicles over the past few years. Until recently, most of the transactions had been kept quiet, but ties have quietly shifted and in the past five years, defense trade between the two countries has averaged annual sales of over $1 billion.

According to Subhash Bhamre, India’s minister of state for defense, seven of the 37 contracts signed by India for the procurement of weapons and military platforms over the past two years were with Israel. This made the Jewish state India’s second biggest source for weapons after the United States, with nine contracts signed.

Israel has signed several large deals with India in recent months alone.

In April, Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) was awarded the largest defense contract in the Israeli defense industry’s history after signing a $1.6 billion deal with the Indian Army.

Other contracts went to Rafael, which has called India a “strategic and significant partner.”

In May, IAI signed a $630 million contract with India’s stateowned aerospace and defense firm Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) for a naval version of the Barak 8 aerial defense system for four vessels.

IAI president and CEO Joseph Weiss has stated that “over the past 25 years, IAI has worked with the Indian defense industries and armed forces in many areas as part of our strategic partnership.”

Ahead of Modi’s historic visit, several high-ranking Indian officials made their way to Israel.

In March 2016, air force chief Arup Raha met with then-defense minister Moshe Ya’alon.

This past May, three warships docked in Haifa for three days, and a month later, Adm. Sunil Lanba, head of the Indian Navy, was in Israel for four days of talks aimed at boosting bilateral military cooperation.

sthf

Country flag
Not sure but I think BDL is acting as lead integrator for Indian orders.

no smoking

Country flag
Well, computational capability is not kind of answer to every question. I believe, the major concerns for seek are the size, the effective range and the capability to work under complicated weather and electromagnetic environment.
The first 2 will challenge your industrial capability on material, electronic component and precision processing. That is also why Russian and Chinese seekers are generally bigger than that of American;
The last one will require the computational capability, but more important factor is the experiences of signal identify and calculation accumulated. That is why Chinese is still far behind Russians on air-defense missile when they have better electronic chips and processor.

Sidd

Hello Guys
Your questions on LR-SAM or Barak 8 is quite genuine.
I have asked the same question about LR SAM few months back to a DRDO HQ scientist who has worked on this project(LR-SAM) and his profile is related to RADAR and avionics.

"Question - What we has gained from LR-SAM & can we make an indigenous one?
Ans. He said we can replace MF-STAR Radar with our very own Arudhra radar. "

As far as seeker is concerned I think we are working on it.
I have even asked him about Trishul SAM and he said new system would be tested very soon. (Quite true :) )
BTW the phase 1 deployment of India's BMD must be completed by now.(Conclusion from another question)

Vijyes

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...nce-system-for-india/articleshow/59689811.cms

Israel to partner DRDO for developing missile defence system for India

The MRSAM is a land-based variant of the long-range surface-to-air missile (LRSAM) or Barak-8 naval air defence system, which is designed to operate from naval vessels.
BARAK-8 is a ship based missile defence system. A ship is a mobile platform which means that BARAK-8 should be capable of adjusting to the motions and vibration of the ship and still target the incoming missile.

Now,designing the same for land should not be any difficult. I don't understand why it is named separately as MRSAM. A BARAK-8 system lifted from a ship could simply be placed on the land and still be made to function rightly.

As far as I see MRSAM = BARAK-8

Country flag
This land version has been in development for at least theee years now it is formalized

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arya

Country flag
its good , but we should also make our effort on s400 deal from russia . we have to close the deal as fast possible

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles