National Intelligence Grid (NATGRID)-WATCHING YOU

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by RAM, Dec 26, 2009.

1. RAM

RAM The southern Man Senior Member

Intelligence Grid (NATGRID)-Super database soon: Big Brother will watch YOU

Every time you flash your credit card, pick up the phone, take a flight or access the Internet, somebody will be watching you.India is ramping up its intelligence infrastructure and networking databases in the public and private sectors.Once the National Intelligence Grid (NATGRID) is established by May 2011, it will provide security agencies real-time access into 21 categories of databases -- including bank account details, credit card transactions, driving licences as well as visa and immigration records.

This means that rather than writing to more than 50 entities -- government bodies such as the RBI and the Bureau of Immigration, and private firms like phone and airline companies -- all that a security agency has to do to get to know all about you is to feed your name into the system.

"Once you feed in a person's name, you'll get all the details about him, across all the databases," a government official said. Right from the colour of your car, outstanding traffic fines to be paid and the last time you paid by card for a late-night dinner with a friend.

"There really will not be any secrets from the State," a security official said. "It's the same in the United States."

The information grid will also have the ability to trawl through the consolidated database to sniff for suspicious trends and flag them for further investigations.
    Intelligence officials insist they need this information to tackle the new sophisticated face of terrorism.

"Headley wouldn't have had a free run for three years if this kind of a system had been in place," an intelligence official said, referring to the Pakistanorigin David Coleman Headley who was arrested by US federal agents for conspiring to carry out terror attacks in India and Denmark.

"It would have raised a red flag, since he was travelling to Pakistan after every visit to India and wasn't converting enough foreign currency into Indian rupees though he was a businessman," the official said.

Union Home Minister P.Chidambaram has inducted Raghu Menon, a security expert in the private sector, to set up the system. Menon joined this month as chief executive

Database to fight terrorism will keep eye on you- Hindustan Times

hindustan times SPECIAL - Super database soon: Big Brother will watch you

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  3. Tamil

Tamil Regular Member

nice to be welcomed! come-on India

4. Indianrabbit

Indianrabbit Regular Member

I am fan of Chidambaram, he is doing excellent job in home ministry.

5. indiansamurai

indiansamurai New Member

Nice job home minister , it should be on the lines of NSA (national security agency) of US.

6. RAM

RAM The southern Man Senior Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Natgrid will have info on every Indian

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/newsrf.php?newsid=13770

7. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

Let's see how many of these bloody politicians first use it against truly corrupt colleagues and how many Suzanna Arundhati Roys are arrested, stripped of Indian passport and exiled first. Don't count your chicks before they hatch.

8. ajtr

ajtr Veteran Member Veteran Member

NATGRID will be used by govt for keeing eye on opposition party rather than for its true purpose.even indira gandhi used IB and RAW against opposition during emergency.

9. AirforcePilot

AirforcePilot Defence Professionals Defence Professionals

I know if I was a law abiding citizen in India I would definitely have a problem with NATGRID.

10. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

As long as my Government is successful to keep ordinary civilians safe from any potential casualty to life from foreign threats or anti-national elements, I'm okay with NATGRID. This should have been done much ago but, its better late than never. Go Chidu Go!

11. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

My thoughts exactly!

The potential of this being used in a negative way is dangerous and considering it doesn't take much to bribe officials here.

12. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

Agreed. Congress is not exactly known for its democratic behaviour in India either. It is based on dynastic rule and a twisted sort of royal rule where laws are bent, opposition is threatened and people are fooled on a regular basis.

13. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

A person with right contacts and a good amount of $$$ can get to know everything about another person.

This is India where corruption is present in every field.

Terrorists will as always get around it by using fake aliases and will only get revealed after they've blown themselves while the common citizen is spied upon.