Naroda Patia's Hindus at home in Muslim-built abodes

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Oracle, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Oracle

Oracle New Member

AHMEDABAD: Naroda Patia is infamous for being the site where more than 90 Muslims were killed by rioters in the 2002 post-Godhra riots. But it is also the place where Muslims helped their Hindu neighbours rebuild their homes after the riots.

Today, 70-odd Hindu families live in the Patia in homes rebuilt by the Islamic Relief Committee (IRC) in 2003. Many Muslims left the place, but all Hindus returned to live beside their old neighbours.

IRC has provided homes to about 500 riot-affected Hindu families in the city at places like Vatva and Dudheshwar, after many Muslims wanted their longtime Hindu neighbours back.

Lata Chaudhary, 40, and her family shifted from the Patia to Khokhra during the 2002 violence. "We returned after a few months only to find that nothing was left of our home," she says.

The house of Hansa Tiwari, 50, too caught fire when rioters torched Muslim homes in the Patia. When IRC reconstructed the colony, she returned happily. "We have very good relations with Muslims here," she says "The disturbance separated us for some time. Because the committee rebuilt our houses, we could return."

Radheshyam Sharma, a 45-year-old tailor, adds: "I have lived in the Patia all my life, and have got healthy relations with the Muslims. So it's natural that the committee should build houses for us as well."

IRC chairman Shakeel Ahmed Ansari says, "These ordinary people had no involvement in the violence. They were Hindus and as helpless as anyone else. Nobody was helping them, so we decided to rebuild their houses also."

Nadeem Khan, who lives in an IRC colony in Vatva, recalls the process of decision-making, "The meetings on how to go about building houses for the Hindus lasted for more than a week among IRC leaders. Finally it was unanimously decided to provide houses to Hindu neighbours."

TOI

Tronic, Yusuf and sesha_maruthi27 like this.
  3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

And the Hindus did not help the Muslims rebuild their homes?

Now, that is not fair!

4. Oracle

Oracle New Member

/\/\/\ Hindus are a majority, they can do whatever they want.

5. Ray

What was the demography of Naroda Patia before the riots?

6. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

7. natarajan

natarajan Senior Member Senior Member

vice versa like kashmir

8. sesha_maruthi27

sesha_maruthi27 Senior Member Senior Member

Muslim merchants have earned a lot of money with the help of MODI and the MODI government. The business community both Hindus and Muslims enjoy a lot and those who are the sufferers are the middle class and the lower class people and they are the ones who suffered a lot during the riots also. I smell the involvement of the CONGRESS PARTY in provoking the Muslims mainly and then provoking the Hindus also. But they failed to gain anything politically even after the 2002 riots. This shows that MODI is not involved. If he was involved he would not have been voted to power by the Muslim community.

9. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

Yet they dont!

KS likes this.
  10. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

I remember telling this in some other thread and i will say it here again. This is how common man is and how they are towards each other regardless of their religion. Only those with vested interests will lead you to believe otherwise.

More than the Muslims offer to build the houses for the Hindus, i thank the Hindus for accepting the offer and moving back in what people call the most communal and polarized state.

Tolaha, Oracle and Godless-Kafir like this.
  11. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Good to hear stories like these.

12. Ray

I want to know if Hindus have helped Muslims.

Have they or have they not?

Or is it not worth reporting?

Are Hindus that heartless?

Or is it that it is not man bite dog?

I am sure we are all humans when the dark cloud of politics lifts!

Yusuf,

You are for Gujarat and so I am not an expert. But what is there to thank Hindus? Are they monsters? They damn well should help!

Or is it the media who wants to show that if a Muslim helps it is news and if a Hindu helps it is no news.

The media is a great one to drive a shaft between communities!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  13. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Sir, for long there was isolation and boycott of Muslims after the riots. Ghettos were formed. That's what I heard. This story proves humans are still humans.

14. Ray

You bet it!

We are all the same flesh and blood!

15. Ray

I am a Jew. Hath
    not a Jew eyes? hath not a Jew hands, organs,
    dimensions, senses, affections, passions? fed with
    the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject
    to the same diseases, healed by the same means,
    warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as
    a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed?
    if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison
    us, do we not die?

16. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

Crap news. Muslims help is rare. It's Hindus who helped Muslims for rehabilitation. Does anyone even know Demographic and ground situation of Ahmadabad ? I am sure, Those who posting don't know much. Let me tell....

Hindus and Muslims don't live together. Areas are totally different. 95% Muslims lives in 5-6 particular areas. Ahmedabad's ghettos is classic example how society is divided. Although, One reason is few riots in last few decades too which i agree. On one side of the river is the old walled city, where Muslims live, and on the other is the spanking new city, where Hindus live. Juhapura was earlier a small suburb. It now houses more than three lakh Muslims. Some Hindus also live. In Ahmedabad west, within a five-kilometre radius of Ahmedabad University, there is not a single Muslim home

The stark difference between the Muslim localities and the Hindu-dominated ones is obvious in Ahmedabad. Muslim lives in So called Muslim ghettos. Government and large no. of Hindus, NGO's helped Muslims for proper rehabilitation. It's Muslims who decided not to live with Hindus

aragorn likes this.
  17. iNDiAN.96

iNDiAN.96 Nationalist Senior Member

I find this video related:

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  18. Galaxy

The Sabarmati river divides the city physically as well as communally. On one side of it is the old walled city, where Muslims live and on other side new city, Where Hindus/Jains live. There is hardly any place in Ahmedabad where both community lives expect few of old colonies where Hindus also live. They helped Muslims during riot, otherwise situation would be many times more worst.

There is not a single Muslim family living in few Km radius of Ahmedabad university. All Muslims left places and filled areas like Juhapura, etc. Even there is new law in Gujarat The Gujarat Prohibition of Transfer of Immovable Property and Provisions for Protection of Tenants from Eviction from Premises in Disturbed Areas Act by which One community can't sell property to another community, Still they moved and completed ghettoisation. There are around 274 declared disturbed areas, which are largely comprised of Muslim populations and Government did a lot for development and provided enough security.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  19. trackwhack

trackwhack Tihar Jail Banned

Whose fault is this? The Muslims or the Governments?

Why is this news crap to you? Is it false?

20. Galaxy

Mostly Muslims, Some Hindus fault too.

After decade, Things have improved but But what MODI can do when Muslims don't want to live with Hindus ?? They are living in Old walled city for last many decades. 2002 is an excuse to complete the ghetto. It's unfortunate that they are not part of modern Ahmadabad city. Who is stopping them to be part of ? Even many Rich and professional Muslims lives in areas like Juhapura.

21. Galaxy

Recently in Corporate election, MODI made sure that 150 Muslims wins in corporate election. He tried enough in last 10 to make peaceful Gujarat. There has been no riot in last 10 years. It's not that He needs Muslim votes, But he needs all Gujarati.

And MODI is not going to apologies. He neither committed any mistake nor it make any sense. It will be political suicide for him. Time to reap the benefit with Rising Gujarat at Numero Uno. Although I am not Gujarati :p, But hoping BJP MODIfy the party and same model comes at center with best of Governance. :)