Narendra Modi to visit Japan from Sunday, meet top bosses of Suzuki

Zebra

Country flag
'Ambika Soni got it wrong while criticising Narendra Modi'

Written by: Kishore Trivedi
Updated: Tuesday, July 24, 2012, 17:16 [IST]

"The only things redder than the red carpet that Japanese government officials have unrolled for Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi today are the faces of his dissidents in his home State, and his detractors elsewhere who are looking to declare him persona non grata on his home turf" - these lines published in one of the web based news sites perfectly summed up the mood in the opposite camp as Narendra Modi's delegation touched down at Tokyo's Narita Airport on the evening of Jul 22.

Rubbing even more salt to the wounds was the unprecedented welcome Modi received from the Japanese Government. He was received with the rank of a Cabinet Minister in what is yet another example of how the international community views Modi and his work in Gujarat.

That the self styled liberals were unhappy with events was known but that they would train their guns so soon came as a surprise. Leading charge was none other than Minister Ambika Soni.

"He may try and win over as many contracts for the development for Gujarat, that's what his job is but lets not do it at the cost of other states." (Smt. Soni to the media)

These observations by a Union Minister, while in absolute poor taste are nothing new. About a month ago, it was the same Ambika Soni who was coercing journalists to ask her desired questions at a presser in Ahmedabad and it was she who made "startling" claims that 80% of Gujarat's children were going malnourished.

Yet her recent statement merits greater scrutiny. The immediate context was the Maruti Standoff in Manesar where Congress-ruled Haryana is seeing what we can call the worst labour stand off in recent years. But as always, Ambika Soni erred big time by speaking what she did and as usual, Modi proved smarter and statesmanlike as compared to the ill informed Minister.

Around the same time as Soni was spewing comments devoid of either fact or logic, Modi was interacting with the foreign media after an Investment Seminar in Tokyo. He was asked questions on almost all the 'controversial' issues be it his PM ambitions, an image trap and the BJP's chances in 2014 but the answer that brought out the true statesman in him was when he was asked about the stand-off in Manesar. He answered:

"It should not happen anywhere in the world, not in India or in Haryana or Gujarat or anywhere in world. It's not an issue (about) where it happened. Human safety is a priority and I do feel that we are concerned about those who have lost their life, but I am sure that Haryana govt is capable to handle the issue and they will handle it."

On foreign soil, Modi spoke not as the CEO of Gujarat but a leader who speaks for India, a leader who will not make hay over the darkness of others but one who will give sunshine to the entire nation. Soni, in contrast, stood like a pygmy vis-a-vis Modi. Not only was her lies exposed, but also it brought out the growing insecurities among the top leadership of the Congress Party on what Modi can do in the sphere of Governance.

As Modi himself pointed out in the same interview - Gujarat's landmark contribution is a paradigm shift towards politics of development. The logical implication is the decline of tokenism and populism, which pushed the Congress into panic button.

POST SCRIPT:

Ambika Soni may want to repeat her golden words not for Modi but for her colleagues in the Ministry of External Affairs. On the morning on Jul 24, less than 24 hours after Soni was proven wrong in context of Modi, the Indian Ambassador to China went to inaugurate an exhibition that portrayed India in extremely poor light. :shocked:

The instant question that comes to mind is - what happened to Soni's doctrine of 'nation before state?' Did her own Government err in sending its envoy for the exhibition? Do Indian Embassies in sensitive locations not brief their ambassadors properly on his movements and public engagements? Or was he allowed to go there deliberately? Can we call it a UPA version of the Look East Policy - use Beijing when Tokyo doesn't help? Why put egg on our faces only because a dynasty wants to settle scores with a development icon?

These are questions Soni and her colleagues may answer but till then, lets revel in the host of investments Modi is bringing to Gujarat (not at the cost of others) and enjoy a fantastic show of statesmanship by him in Japan.

'Ambika Soni got it wrong while criticising Narendra Modi'- modi criticised ambika soni you again got it wrong 2 | India - Oneindia News

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
If the Suzuki people do not stop the Japanese culture of working, no matter where the plants are, there will be huge trouble.
How much we hear about similar incidents in Japan?

Raj30

Old Modi has raised a hornets nest amongst the hopelessly beleaguered Congress.

It was interesting to see the TV Debates.

He has set the cat amongst the pigeons.
and guess what ambika soni has said
He may try and win over as many contracts for the development for Gujarat, that's what his job is but lets not do it at the cost of other states." (Smt. Soni to the media)
'Ambika Soni got it wrong while criticising Narendra Modi'- modi criticised ambika soni you again got it wrong 2 | India - Oneindia News

Nagraj

really! :toilet:
he is being seen as the next PM, so he should not restrict his vision only up to Gujarat....Pure Gujja jaisa selfish behave karega to koi ejjat nahi milegi....look at ambanis...wat laga di hai shareholders ki... pure examples of selfish gujjus....if Modi turns out to be another hard core Gujju, then we will make more damage to our country than the expected benefits! So, Modi/Bjp has to make their visions clear....

mki

If the Suzuki people do not stop the Japanese culture of working, no matter where the plants are, there will be huge trouble.
Ray sir I am sorry if I misinterpreted your comment.

Please elaborate Japanese culture mean. Is it means come on time and don't delay work. Your working shift is only for work and not for munching, smoking, drinking tea doing time pass and take full salary for your not inefficient workmanship? If Japanese culture is hardworking, efficient, effective workmanship then I am sorry to say our people is wrong, we should adopt Japanese culture.:namaste:

If you mean Japanese culture by their tradition dress (I am sure they are not warring that on work), koi ponds, their beautiful statues, sushi ect. Then I like to say that its so beautiful. It will add more star in our multicultural environment. :thumb:

SLASH

NaMo planning to make mini-Japan within Gujarat so that Japanese businesses will feel at home. Thats an amazing idea.

Also it should not be a surprise that he is speaking in Hindi. Japanese do not have a good grasp on English.

Last edited:

Zebra

Country flag
Quote Originally Posted by addiction View Post
he is being seen as the next PM, so he should not restrict his vision only up to Gujarat....Pure Gujja jaisa selfish behave karega to koi ejjat nahi milegi....look at ambanis...wat laga di hai shareholders ki... pure examples of selfish gujjus....if Modi turns out to be another hard core Gujju, then we will make more damage to our country than the expected benefits! So, Modi/Bjp has to make their visions clear....

Dude, what about M. K. Gandhi and Sardar Patel? Did they kept their vision upto Gujarat only?

Ambanies are businessmen and they don't sell their products to gujjus at cheaper rate.

ani82v

Country flag
Quote Originally Posted by addiction View Post

Dude, what about M. K. Gandhi and Sardar Patel? Did they kept their vision upto Gujarat only?

Ambanies are businessmen and they don't sell their products to gujjus at cheaper rate.
I see two problems with Narendra Modi:

1. There is no visibility of next generation of leadership in Gujarat. Who will be responsible for Gujarat when he is at Center? Charisma don't last long, systems do. One characteristic of great leader is that he nurtures new leaders. There appears to be no evidence of this happening.
2. Infighting and internal rivalries in BJP (frog in the well mentality). This can spoil their prospects in next general election inspite of riding anti incumbency wave.

ani82v

Country flag
Real-life Instance of Delivering Governance | The Rediscovery of India

Real-life Instance of Delivering Governance

It didn't need a Rajiv Gandhi to tell us that only 20% of the funds allocated to any public project actually reaches the intended recipients. He only vocalized what was already well-known even in his own time. He was obviously talking about the corruption that occurs at all levels starting from the top. So let's keep this aside for a moment and focus on the loot that happens at the bureaucratic level.

What I'm talking about is a truism: that many a well-intentioned public project is mercilessly butchered on the bureaucratic table. Put another way, a successful politician is one who ensures that such butchering doesn't happen—or one who prevents or remedies it as quickly as possible. In other words, a successful politician is one who can effectively rein in the bureaucratic beast, a must for delivering governance. Case in point: Narendra Modi.

Last night a gentleman narrated his experience, which reinforces the faith that millions of people have vested in Modi.

This gentleman, an architect in Bangalore had invested in the Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam Ltd (SSNL) Bonds way back in 1993. Over time, he had forgotten all about it and in 2007, he recalled that he had invested in SSNL. He decided to redeem the bonds and realized that he had lost the original bond certificates. He approached the authority in charge at SSNL and was advised of the procedure to obtain the duplicate bond certificates. The process, which took a few weeks was completed, and he received the duplicates.

Then he applied for redemption, a process that was the beginning of a bureaucratic nightmare.

The officer at SSNL took him on a long-winded tour around red tape. "The cheque/DD has been dispatched sir but the address was wrong." "The cheque/DD has been torn because it returned unclaimed. Please wait for six weeks." "New cheque was <Insert favourite excuse> sir"¦please wait for six weeks." And so it dragged on in multiples of six weeks. After speaking on the phone to the SSNL officer and hearing his latest excuse, this gentleman decided that he had reached the end of the proverbial rope. At about 4:30 P.M, he wrote a complaint-email to Narendra Modi and left it at that.

The next morning, he found a government employee at his doorstep holding an envelope in his hand: the redemption money delivered, in less than 24 hours. The deliverer then asked him to call the SSNL officer. When my architect friend called him, the man told him to write another email to the Chief Minister informing him that the money was received. When my friend asked him why he needs to do that, pat came the reply: "I was suspended at 5:30 P.M. yesterday sir. Your mail will help my case."

Enough said.

sob

Mod
Country flag
This I believe is not an isolated case.

The Gujarat CM has given clearly defined KRAs to the District Collectors and they report to him once a week on video Conference, and the discussion is only on the individual KRAs. This corporate style of working has helped NM to keep the bureaucrats in control and the good ones are delivering the results.

Zebra

Country flag
I see two problems with Narendra Modi:

1. There is no visibility of next generation of leadership in Gujarat. Who will be responsible for Gujarat when he is at Center? Charisma don't last long, systems do. One characteristic of great leader is that he nurtures new leaders. There appears to be no evidence of this happening.
2. Infighting and internal rivalries in BJP (frog in the well mentality). This can spoil their prospects in next general election inspite of riding anti incumbency wave.
Point 1...... I am not sure but, FM of Gujarat, may he can be next CM.

For point 2,

Nothing new for Gujarat.

I don't think so it will be a big issue bcz this problem was there since 2001 for NaMo.

In fact Vajpayee send Modi just bcz of these kind of issues.

ani82v

Country flag
Point 1...... I am not sure but, FM of Gujarat, may he can be next CM.

For point 2,

Nothing new for Gujarat.

I don't think so it will be a big issue bcz this problem was there since 2001 for NaMo.

In fact Vajpayee send Modi just bcz of these kind of issues.
Point 2 was about the rivalries at the Center. Sushma and others trying to undercut Modi.

panduranghari

Modi has given us a reason to be proud of. All hail the Son of the Soil. Feeling Proud to be an Indian.
It's a wonderful feeling hearing him speak Hindi in front of Japanese people, pitching for India, pitching for his state. It is a matter of great pride for all true Indians.
Having been to Japan, I have a profound respect and admiration for Japan, its people, its culture and their attitude to work.

And Japanese people are shrewd. We would expect the most polite people on the planet earth to give more than adequate respect to any visiting foreign dignitary. So it does not surprise me when we see this in relation to Modi. Its also incredible that the PM of Japan is meeting Modi which can be considered nothing short of amazing. Japanese car industry does exercise a lot of political power in Japan. Notwithstanding Japanese could very well have sent a junior minister to meet Modi.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/movie/feature201207242310.html

Last edited:

panduranghari

Old Modi has raised a hornets nest amongst the hopelessly beleaguered Congress.

It was interesting to see the TV Debates.

He has set the cat amongst the pigeons.
Modi is the cat among congress pigeons who know nothing more than sh*tting on the nation and its people.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles