Narendra Modi is Bihar's choice for PM: Poll

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by iNDiAN.96, Jul 5, 2012.

1. iNDiAN.96

iNDiAN.96 Nationalist Senior Member

Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar may have stirred a hornet’s nest by his veiled attack on Narendra Modi when he set out his demand that NDA’s PM candidate “should have secular credentials”, but surprisingly in his own state of Bihar there seems to be a strong groundswell of support for the idea of Modi as PM.

[​IMG]

A LensOnNews poll carried out among voters in Bihar in the last week of June found that in response to the open-ended question “Who, in your opinion, is the best candidate for PM in the next Lok Sabha elections?”, a plurality of 36 per cent named Narendra Modi. Rahul Gandhi was next in the line of preferences with 15 per cent, followed by Manmohan Singh and Nitish Kumar at 12 per cent each, L.K. Advani at 6 per cent and Sonia Gandhi at 5 per cent.

Significantly, moreover, as many as 61 per cent say they disapprove of Nitish Kumar’s stand against Narendra Modi as NDA’s candidate for PM. And 71 per cent say Narendra Modi has the necessary national stature to be PM, while only 21 per cent think the same of Nitish Kumar.

Nitish’s magic waning

The survey found that a majority of voters (54 per cent) favour Nitish Kumar’s continuation as chief minister against only 40 per cent who would prefer a change in the state government. However, nearly half of the sampled voters (49 per cent) feel that that the last tenure of the ruling alliance was better than the present one. The slide in the popularity Nitish’s regime in its second term can be mainly attributed to the perception of growing menace of corruption in the state: 34% of sampled voters mentioned it as the state government’s biggest failing. It would be true to say that the haunting memories of RJD’s past misrule and the absence of any viable alternative mainly account for the Nitish Kumar government’s current favourable rating.

BJP preferred for Centre

The LensOnNews poll also sought the opinions of Bihar voters on the performance of the UPA government at the Centre and their voting intention if the Lok Sabha elections were held now. As many as 41 per cent rate the performance of PM Manmohan Singh’s government at the Centre as ‘Poor’ against only 23 per cent who feel it has been ‘Good’.

[​IMG]

The biggest failure of the Central government has been the runaway increase in prices according to 62 per cent of the respondents, with the issue of corruption taking a distant second place (only 11 per cent say it has been the biggest failure of the government).

Not surprisingly, 68 per cent would like a change of government at the Centre in the next Lok Sabha elections, with only 24 per cent saying the present UPA government should continue.

Asked which party, in their opinion, would give the best government at the Centre, 50 per cent picked the BJP while only 23 per cent plumped for the Congress. And if elections to the Lok Sabha were held now, 34 per cent say they would vote for the BJP, while 18 per cent pick the JD (U). Lalu Prasad’s RJD is at 15 per cent, with the Congress coming in fourth at a low 12 per cent.

What if...?

Thus the present NDA alliance of BJP-JD(U) is poised to sweep the next Lok Sabha elections in Bihar – if the two parties stay together till then, which is a big IF. Nitish Kumar is clearly straining at the leash. He has not only been making demands for a PM candidate being ‘acceptable’ to him, he has also been making open overtures to the UPA, as witness his support to Pranab Mukherjee’s candidature for President and his wangling a special fiscal package for Bihar from the Central government. There is a strong likelihood of a JD(U) split from the NDA before the next Lok Sabha elections, if not sooner.

The LensOnNews survey therefore asked the contingent question: Which party would you vote for in the next elections if Narendra Modi is BJP’s candidate and the JD(U) fights the elections separately? Here the BJP leads the field with a 38 per cent vote, with JD(U) next with 16 per cent, the RJD getting 12 per cent and the Congress 11 per cent.

Clearly the BJP as a national party is favoured by the Bihar electorate in elections to the Lok Sabha, even while they give strong support to the JD(U) at the state level.

[​IMG]

What if Nitish Kumar joins the UPA and fights the next Lok Sabha elections alongside Congress and against the BJP? Our findings show that the JD (U)-Congress combine would trail the BJP’s 38 per cent vote share by a wide margin as the combined vote share of JD (U) and Congress adds up to only 27 per cent (16 per cent of JD (U), 11 per cent of Congress).

The LensOnNews poll was carried out between June 21 and 27 among a representative cross-sectional sample of 2147 voters spread across nine assembly constituencies in Bihar. The poll findings carry a margin of error of 3 percentage points.

Narendra Modi is Bihar's choice for PM: Poll

aerokan, maomao, Raj30 and 4 others like this.
  3. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

I don't know how credible lensonnews is.

4. iNDiAN.96

5. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

^^ I dont think The site is credible because it shows that Modi has good popularity- :truestory:

6. iNDiAN.96

maomao, Raj30 and Mad Indian like this.
  7. Singh

Sir, the onus is not on me to prove this site's credibility.

And he is a former research editor with Times of India, that should go against him.

8. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

BJP is as strong as JD(u) in Bihar.

JD(u) has presence only in half of Bihar. That also, Nitish cannot claim to be no. 1 leader of JD(u). Sharad Yadav has it's own stronghold in few districts of North Bihar.

Remaining, It's BJP!

It's high time, BJP should break alliance with JD(u) and send Modi to campaign in Bihar. Even BJP state unit wants this to happen!

maomao, Raj30 and amitkriit like this.
  9. Singh

Last week, just for fun, i ran a simple poll on my public Facebook page. The question i asked was simple. Who should be India's PM? The choices were simple too — Rahul Gandhi, Narendra Modi and none of the above. There was no intention to imply any bias. Over 10,000 votes were polled. Rahul Gandhi received 5% of the votes. Narendra Modi had 82%, beating the crown prince an astonishing 16 times; 13% of the voters wanted neither..............

No, i am not implying this is India's verdict. In fact, it could be far from the national consensus, as Facebook is a highly skewed demographic of younger, affluent and more educated Indians. As some say, many people on Facebook don't even bother to vote. Also, Modi has some fervent supporters , who rush to support him in times of need such as this poll. Hence, i would take the results with a huge pinch of Gujarat-made salt..............

Hence, anti-Congress people (there's quite a few) have shifted over to Modi. There was a time when supporting Modi was considered communal. Today, it could simply mean being against the Congress . And since millions want the Congress out, they are gravitating towards Modi.....................

Will Modi's cyber support spill over to the streets? It is hard to say. It could. The internet is often an early sign of things to come. Modi could do it, if he is lucky, stays humble, has some genuine remorse for the past and makes the right moves...........

Narendra Modi: People's choice as PM of India? - Economic Times

That should answer it.

10. iNDiAN.96

Sir, if it's not your duty to judge site's credibility then why judging at first place?

even India Today got the same results. Point is I know you don't like Modi but that doesn't mean you oppose each and every thing. #JustSaying

Raj30, skumar7777 and Mad Indian like this.
  11. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

Not surprising -- had a talk with some of my [former] team mates and friends from Bihar when that Nitish-Modi spat came out and what I learnt is, though they admit Nitish has been a godsend for Bihar, still it is the BJP that has the bigger cadre base in Bihar compared to JD(U) and they prefer Modi to Nitish at the Center....

maomao, Raj30 and amitkriit like this.
  12. Galaxy

There is not a single news-site in India which is 100% unbiased and neutral. So ?

One should not post news from HT, TOI, IBN, NDTV, IE, etc. because it's Congress funded ?

13. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" Senior Member

Manmohan Singh and Nitish Kumar 12 % each :pound: Nitish ko naani yaad aai :lol: even if it were fake.

Mad Indian likes this.
  14. Singh

Let me reiterate,

"Sir, the onus is not on me to prove this site's credibility. "

then why don't you post them ?

Point is you don't know me. There is no need to assume because I am skeptic of a newly created site's poll. Like I am not assuming you posted this from a newly created site just because it showed Modi in good light ?

If you bothered to read my posts, I am willing to vote for him purely because I am pissed with Congress. This is a phenomenon that even Chetan Bhagat is written about.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  15. iNDiAN.96

CNN-IBN Poll:
    Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s government has lost credibility because of its failure to handle social activist Anna Hazare’s movement against corruption and not taking bold economic reform measures, according to a poll marking three years of the second term of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government. The results of the poll also showed Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi would be the most popular choice among Opposition leaders for the post of prime minister.
    Govt has lost credibility, says CNN-IBN poll

ABP News Survey:
    According to the survey, Gujarat chief minister and BJP leader Narendra Modi has emerged as the 'popular choice' for the post of Prime Minister beating Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi, who was the most preferred choice in 2011.
    Narendra Modi emerges as frontrunner for PM's post

India Today Survey:
    According to the India Today-Nielson Mood of the Nation survey, 45% of the respondents believe Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi will be the best prime minister if a non-UPA government comes into power.
    Who can be the best non-UPA Prime Minister? - | Photos | India Today |

Narendra Modi most popular national leader: Survey - Rediff.com News

India Today-ORG survey shows people want me to become PM: Modi : North, News - India Today

Narender Modi tops popularity chart, beats Rahul Gandhi as PM candidate

Raj30, skumar7777, Galaxy and 2 others like this.
  16. Galaxy

2 weeks back,

Bihar BJP workers endorse Narendra Modi, slap Nitish Kumar

Defiant pro-Modi minister dares Nitish to sack him

Nitish is living in Dreamland. He is thinking that Bihar is Odissa. Time to smell some coffee. If he really thinks, He is undisputed King of Bihar. He should challenge Modi to fight from Patna which is BJP bastion. Of course, Modi will not say such petty think, Like fight from Ahmedabad or Surat. :D

Bhagwat holds marathon in-camera conclave - Times Of India

Raj30 and Mad Indian like this.
  17. Singh

@indian96 You have trouble understanding me, so I'll give it another swing. Your assorted links show that Modi is popular, no one is denying that.
    But to believe that Biharis would be voting for BJP over JD in a LS election, is a tough nut to swallow imho.

A chauhan likes this.
  18. iNDiAN.96

Well I have posted all links. Not only India Today but some more as well.

Ok my bad That I assumed you hate Modi. :lol:

Explain your statement about newly created site please.

19. iNDiAN.96

Sir, read your first post you questioned poll's credibility so I showed you same results from various different sources.

20. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

Proud to be a Modi Fan :india: :yey:

21. Singh

This site's credibility is unknown, nothing to add to it. And frankly whether I like or hate Modi, doesn't mean I should not question the veracity of the claims ?

What you did was prove that Modi is a popular choice for PM's post and that is something which everyone here seems to be in agreement with it.

JD sweeped the polls in Bihar, and to believe that now Biharis would rather vote BJP over JD is to me difficult to swallow and this site's credibility or lack thereof makes me even more wary of the said claims.