"Narendra Modi is an OBC" campaign picks up in Bihar

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Das ka das, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Das ka das

Das ka das Tihar Jail Banned

Thanks to an adamant JD(U) boss, Nitish Kumar, the “Narenda Modi-is-an-OBC” campaign has fired the imagination of the backward classes in Bihar but the same is not true in UP where the BJP is a divided house and a few in the think tank prefer further polarisation of the unified Hindu vote.

In Bihar, Kumar’s theatrical walk-out from the NDA has brought the BJP together on the same platform, irrespective of factions, and former deputy chief minister Sushil Modi has helped spread the word that Nitish is out to snatch the prime ministerial chair from the son of a backward chaiwallah.

In fact, so much fear has been instilled in the minds of the Opposition that even a known Modi-baiter like Ramvilas Paswan told dna, “The OBC card is being played cleverly in Bihar and is likely to bring Modi handsome dividends.” Paswan believes that this campaign may well fuel a surge in favour of the Gujarat CM and Nitish Kumar may be reduced to a bit player in Bihar’s triangular contest where the main fight will be between Modi’s BJP and the Lalu-Paswan combine.

Every BJP leader — from Patna-based CP Thakur to Central-level Bihar leaders like Rajiv Pratap Rudy and Ravi Shankar Prasad — shares the optimism that the injection of “Namonia” has brought into Bihar’s political landscape. Prasad said, “This positive mood is infectious. There is already enthusiasm among the backwards that they would be voting for a prime minister who has humble origins.”

According to Prasad, if you add this non-Yadav, non-Kurmi vote to the upper caste vote, which comes naturally to the BJP, the result will be phenomenal.

Bihar BJP leaders say they will be able to wean away the extremely backward castes, which apparently voted for Nitish after his interesting social engineering experiment.

Such enthusiasm over Modi is somewhat missing in possibly even more politically significant state of UP. The state may have become the crucial responsibility of Modi loyalist Amit Shah, but overt factionalism is not making the going easy for the Gujarat strongman. Shah has so far organised just one major meeting of “karyakartas” (functionaries) in which some important leaders like Kalyan Singh and Vinay Katyar were present.

It seems Amit Shah alone will not suffice. Modi may plan his first visit to Bihar not before October but he can’t let the situation drift in UP. He needs to get the Brahmins (veterans like Lalji Tandon and Kalraj Mishra) or Thakurs (party president Rajnath Singh is himself a Thakur from UP) on board and have a frank discussion with them if they have any problem with him courting the OBCs.

Modi comes from the Ghanchi caste, which is a Gujarati caste equivalent of Teli in UP and Bihar. Such a surname is likely to be a hit even with the vast segments of the non-Yadav OBCs in various parts of the country’s most populous state.
    The BJP strategy is that Modi himself won’t propagate his own background.
    Lower-level functionaries will spread this crucial information during the campaign trail.

Amit Shah himself has been doing a tightrope walk. He will leave it to others to bring up Modi’s OBC background in popular discourse. There is a belief among a strong section of the UP unit of the BJP that it is more important to pursue a unified Hindutva line in the state. After all, it was the all-pervasive Hindutva approach which had got the party undivided Hindu votes and 58 seats in 1998 election. Since then, the BJP has been on a downhill journey in UP.

dna special: 'Narendra Modi-is-an-OBC' campaign picks up in Bihar, but lacks steam in neighbouring UP - India - DNA

3. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

Ironically, Modi never project himself here an OBC Messiah. OBC community is very big but specific caste Ghanchi isn't dominant in Gujarat. Only 5-6 lacs Ghanchis live here while Patels have dominance here always. In fact many other castes are bigger than Modi's. Still, Modi can be CM here. It's not like caste doesn't matter in Gujarat but Modi's story is very different and I hope every part of the country understand this. It's sad BJP in Bihar has to do such Prachar of Modi's caste. But different state different story and different politics.

4. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

vote bank identity politics :yey:

Dovah likes this.
  5. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

Modi is an OBC. :whoa:. So much for losing caste identities and voting with national identity alone.

I think we should commit mass suicide now.

6. TrueSpirit

TrueSpirit Senior Member Senior Member

@VIP: If hope you read it (from the opening post)

So, now you know where I was coming from, in our prior discussion on UP politics on a separate thread.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    VIP likes this.
  7. TrueSpirit

No, it is just good ol' pragmatic "political opportunism" to ensure one's relevance & survival in a divisive polity. Makes complete sense.

There is no other way in Bihar. Correct strategy.

@LurkerBaba might be able to throw some light on Bihar's caste divide & how important the caste identity is, to vast section of electorate.

8. VIP

Yes I read that and I also thought about our conversation at that time. So UP need Hindutva but not caste politics except Yadavs.

9. Decklander

Decklander New Member

There are OBCs and SCs beyond Yadavs & Jatavs also and NAMO will become their role model.

10. TrueSpirit

That's close. Especially, in view of the recent communal riots in many major cities/towns in UP (after a highly communal SP formed govt.), the ground is ripe for polarization.

11. TrueSpirit

I really hope so.

12. VIP

Hmmm...Interesting, do you think Modi needs do something to polarize votes?? Because congress is already doing that lol. Amit Shah has tough road ahead, I think Modi needs to come himself in UP to understand the situation, may be that's why he has sent Amit Shah for Primary review. Kalyan Singh has still some influence or not ?? Modi and Amit Shah can convenience people there who fear from him, hehas done this here in Gujarat before. May be duo can do some magic there.

13. Decklander

Decklander New Member

If you guys go over the Godhra riots of 2002, you will realise that the train burning was done by Congress workers and so was the Gulbarga society massacre including many more such incidents. Khangrass did it to polarise voters before the 2002 elections in Gujrat. It back fired as Gujrat had one of the least number of muslims of any state in India at that time.
    Once again Khangrass is trying the same trick and their attempt has already backfired due to the belligerant stand taken by IB against CBI regarding khangrass innocent martyr Ishrat Jehan. This is again polarising voters, mainly Hindus irrespective of the castes and status. My own driver is a Jatav from the same village as BMW (Bahen MayaWati). They too have made up thr mind to defy her and vote for NAMO to save Hinduism bcoz if NAMO comes to power, they will be able to retain thr reservations otherwise the muslims will eat into thr reservations.

In UP, BJP must take this line to bring around Yadavs and Jatavs to thr fold.

devgupt and VIP like this.
  14. TrueSpirit

Nice thinking, Sir. If this happens & Hindu community can unite against Khangress in UP, it could reverse the decline of India, with NaMo as the PM.

15. Decklander

Decklander New Member

Finance is a subject which very few understand. But let me tell you that present situation of price rise and devaluation of rupee has been done by GOI to reduce the CAD. GOI gets taxes on fuel, higher price of oil suits them as it brings higher income as the taxes are a percentage of import value. Khangrass has put the economy into tail spin in 2008 by the scams and taking a hit of over 100k crores while increasing the wheat base price from 710/quintal to 1050/quintal and also forgiving the agricultural loans worth over 70k crores which did not help marginal farmers but only those who were rich farmers. This was also commented upon by CAG. Khangrass won the elections but economy suffered huge blow. We all are paying for it. The so called poor who was supposed to get benefitted from it has been hit hardest as the cost of fuel makes price of everything shoot up.

VIP and TrueSpirit like this.
  16. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

I see hypocrisy in this thread by some.

arnabmit likes this.
  17. VIP

Getting votes is never a hypocrisy, election is a war, but same must not be applied for running the government. And you can only expect that from Modi.Justice to all, appeasement to none....You won't find any decision targeting one specific community.

18. aragorn

aragorn Senior Member Senior Member

Getting votes in election is plain and simple marketing.

19. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

It is true that Modi is an OBC and started life as a 'tea boy' serving tea to customers.

That is two qualities that appeal to the voters.

However, it is also true that he has never exploited this two issues in any election.

It appears others in the BJP are dead keen to use these vote catching qualities and capitalise on the same!

Good luck to them!

20. VIP

Different regions, different issues and different politics.

21. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Vote Bank and Social Engineering are the universal across the board mantra for election mathematics.

Of course, alcohol , bribes etc too have their part to play.