Narendra Modi Interview (He is the man)

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Kalyan Singh had this aura but he never put his efforts to carry out development in UP while Narendra Modi who became CM of Gujarat didn't carry an political baggage like Kalyan Singh but he was able to carry out several developmental projects in Gujarat. All other states in India look up to his state for successful governance. So, comparing Kalyan Singh and Modi is a moot point IMO.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Agreed Daredevil... one of my friends make frequent trips to rural areas in Gujarat and Maharashtra as part of his IIT Project of some design for rural connectivity... he says that amongst these two states the rural areas of Gujarat are much more advanced and developed...

If he is to be believed, there are hardly any power failures even in the rural areas which came as a big surprise to me... maybe somebody can corroborate or dismiss his claims???

Flint

EM Gujarat has developed on all fronts, and there is certainly merit in the argument that development ultimately helps everybody - whether hindu or muslim.

More can be said - but I think I'll skip the controversy end on the note that politics is a strange game.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
If he is to be believed, there are hardly any power failures even in the rural areas which came as a big surprise to me... maybe somebody can corroborate or dismiss his claims???
That is true. My dad keeps going to the rural areas for hand-loom fabrics. No power-cuts. Unbelievable isn't it ?

Mohan

Respected Member
Will he get the visa to US if he becomes Prime Minister?:rofl:

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
USA Visa is not a barometer for the worth of an Indian politician.

It was a brouhaha created by some people in USA with too much time and too little to do.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
US has to deal with India... so, if in 2014 Modi becomes the PM then US will have to give him a Visa to come in... LOL !!!

Bottomline is that they need us more than we need them...

shiv

i for one think that Modi is what India needs,He has developed Gujrat on all fronts be it economic,educational,infrastructure or human development.

He only has one tint on his image,but could he have controlled it??

I feel the people of this country need a kick of reality and self responsibility,they have to understand that until they themselves dont take an initiative,no one is going to get them what they want on a platter,Modi is a man who can do this,His state is a model of econamic and human development.We are a democracy which has been ruled by the same party for 55 years,it is high time we give other people some chance.

and ahmed how did you get the impression that modi curbs the freedom of expression?are you from gujrat?

ghatotkacha

Modi might be a terrorist, murderer etc, but I must commend his Developmental Activities, he is a good administrator, but his biggest drawback is that he commands like a King and likes to run a Police State, where freedom of expression will be limited.
Pray do tell us what freedom of expression has Modi limited ???

Also, he may run the state like a "King" but you do forget that he still has to go back to the people for the mandate ... and as far as I can remember, the people have voted him back with increasing margins ...

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Okay, Freedom of Expression/Rights, Let me explain, Gujrat is a Police state now, and the Police there is totally beserk, trust me, or else tell that to the human right activists who visited Sabarmati Police, all of them Senior Human Rights Activists, who bore the brunt of the Sabarmati Polices attitude. They even brought out a Press Note, here is a copy.

PS: I am all for Modis Developmental Policies, infact I have been attacked by many for my Pro Modi stand on Development, but I cant stand it when Human Rights are violated.

No where is it said that to run a Good government, the Rights of the people have to be crushed. This is just like the attitude of CPM et al in Bengal and certain areas of Kerala. Its denying the growth of a Political opponent, nothing more.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Karan Thapar copies BBC Hardtalk doesn't he??
He does follow. In Devil's advocate, Karan Thapar follows a certain kind of simple algorithm to frame questions to the interviewee based on the responses from the interviewee for the previous question. For example, if interviewee answers 'Yes' (from a choice of yes or no, that's how they classify the response broadly) for question 1, there will be next question based on answer 'Yes' and if he answers 'No', the question will be different.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
INDEPENDENT COMMITTEE ON INCIDENTS OF 26-27 MARCH 2009 IN SABARMATI JAIL, AHMEDABAD, GUJARAT

CAMP: People’s Union for Civil Liberties c/o Gandhi peace Foundation, Himavan, Paldi Char rasta, Ahmadabad 380006

PRESS NOTE

AHMEDABAD, April 16, 2009

An Independent committee of senior national human rights activists has expressed its deep concern at the government handling of the beating up of 22 inmates of the Sabarmati Jail on 26 March 2009, and has called for a full enquiry, preferably a judicial one by a judge of the High Court, into gross violations of the Jail manual and human rights norms established by the Courts and the NHRC. Regrettably, the incident reinforces the image of Gujarat as a state where the human rights of religious minorities and weaker sections are not honoured.

Inmates, most of them Muslim, who were on a hunger strike, were denied medical attention after a brutal attack on them by the jail staff, which left at least three of them unconscious for so long as to start rumours in the city that they had died. They were subsequently denied access to counsel, their relatives were refused permission to meet them for three days, and then the Sabarmati Police station failed to register an FIR as sought by relatives and counsel of the victims.

The independent committee consisted of Dr. John Dayal, Member, National Integration Council, Govt. of India, Adv. K. Kesavan, Joint Secretary, CPCL, Tamil Nadu, Dr. J. S. Bandukwala, President, PUCL, Gujarat, Dr. S. Q. R. Ilyas, Editor, Afkar-e-Milli, New Delhi, Mr. Gopal Menon, Film Maker, Bangalore, Mr. Mahtab Alam, Coordinator, APCR, Delhi, Ms. Harini Krishna, Film Maker, Mumbai, and Ms. Ruchi Shroff, Civil Rights Activist, Mumbai was in Ahmadabad from 15th to 16thApril 2009.

At a public hearing, the Committee heard statements from mothers, wives and sisters of the prisoners who gave detailed narrative of the events in the jail as they had heard from the inmates when they were finally allowed to meet them. The women presented blood-stained clothes of the inmates. Counsel gave the committee copies of the PIL filed in the Gujarat High Court, the medical report filed by two lawyers who had met the inmates in jail, as also correspondence with the jail and police authorities seeking justice and medical care for the injured.

The committee made several efforts to approach the authorities. The committee in fact went to the Sabarmati jail and met Superintendent Chandrashekhar who refused permission to visit the concerned ward and meet the inmates. Inspector general of police Mr. Keshav Kumar, despite a written request followed up by repeated visits to his office and a telephone conversation with him would not find time for the committee. The visit to the Sabarmati Police station was an eye-opener where ACP Vaghela, SHO Joshi and Inspector Parmar all but justified the violence against the inmates saying they were criminals accused in Bomb blasts, and had indulged in violence in the Jail. The three officers admitted an FIR had been registered at the behest of the Jail authorities. They denied they had even received complaints from the families of the victims in this case.

The investigating committee does not comment on the cases in which these 22 persons are in jail, or even on several other events that have taken place in the Sabarmati jail in recent weeks which go to show that all is not right with its administration. But it is clear from the testimony of the relatives of the victims and the admission of the police officers that the chain of events has been triggered off with the coming of the new Jail Superintendent who stopped long standing practices of taking ill and injured inmates to the civil hospital, provision of highly specialized medicine and curtailed other rights. It was in response to this that the prisoners went on a highly publicized hunger strike.

The committee will submit a detailed report in a couple of weeks. But it is important to record its preliminary findings and recommendations.

We demand that-

1. National Human Rights Commission should intervene on the issue and report to the Supreme Court.
2. Proper medical help should be given in the civil hospital.
3. PUCL Gujarat and Human Rights groups should be allowed to meet and gather first hand information.

Signed by

Dr John Dayal

Prof J S Badukwala

Dr SQR Ilyas

Mr. Gautam Thakar

Global Defence

New threads

Articles