NAL Saras, Regional Transport Aircraft (RTA) & Hansa Project

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Actually when I saw a TV program, of some 14 or 15, They said that TATA was manufacturing frames of US choppers and some other civilian planes and a fly away plane from TATA stable was to emerge in 2016. It has not happened till date.
C295 will be first fully assembled aircraft from TATA........ Its experience will come handy during development and manufacturing of RTAs.

SanjeevM

Country flag
They do manufacture. Fly away planes and helos only when India orders for military I guess. The Navy Medium Helicopter is one such large order..

Else making fly away systems in a country which doesn't order them Is useless. Especially when these JVs were made with the lucrative view of MMRCA order . Which was finally fked up.

Tata Sikorsky
http://googleweblight.com/i?u=http:...-helicopter-cabin/article5267845.ece&hl=en-IN

Tata Boeing
http://googleweblight.com/i?u=http:...es.php&hl=en-IN&tg=212&tk=5162047446356829471
Seeing the experience of TATA in setting up the production lines, it will be prudent to hand over Saras production lines to TATA once they are finalized for large production. TATA can even market it in 3rd world countries.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Never, we will do it on our own, copying wont bring us respect, innovating will.
It is actually a waste of money to copy. You will always be behind making obsolete uncompetitive products. China spent tens of billions copying the Western auto industry products but now, Chinese will not even buy Chinese brand autos.

proud_indian

Country flag
India’s 19-seater dream will be Saras Mk-2

PT-IN flight data will inspire NAL to prepare the DPR (detail project report) for India’s much-awaited 19-seater passenger plane – Saras Mk2.

The Saras Mk2 will have additional five more seats and a toilet as compared to the PT1N. It will also have gen-next avionics and glass cockpit, autopilot and other features any modern passenger turboprop could boast off.

http://english.mathrubhumi.com/mobi...ll-set-for-maiden-flight-in-january-1.2483386
How can it be mk-2 when the production aircraft itself will be 19 seater? And it's coming from horse's mouth.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
How can it be mk-2 when the production aircraft itself will be 19 seater? And it's coming from horse's mouth.
See present PT1N model is only an optimised aircraft aimed at rebuilding the confidence of all the stakeholders in the program through 20 odd flights. The following step will see the manufacturing of 2 new SARAS based on a heavily improved design of baseline SARAS circa 2004. This model will have all new avionics and electronics apart from rest of the bells and whistles desired in civil aviation.

So call it MK-2 or just suffix it with 'NG' tag or give a new nomenclature like FA-19 NG*** or SRA-19*** SARAS or NAL S19 etc. the fact remains that it's no more exactly what it was in 2004.

**Feeder Aircraft 19 Next Generation
***Small Regional Aircraft

Trololo

Country flag
See present PT1N model is only an optimised aircraft aimed at rebuilding the confidence of all the stakeholders in the program through 20 odd flights. The following step will see the manufacturing of 2 new SARAS based on a heavily improved design of baseline SARAS circa 2004. This model will have all new avionics and electronics apart from rest of the bells and whistles desired in civil aviation.

So call it MK-2 or just suffix it with 'NG' tag or give a new nomenclature like FA-19 NG*** or SRA-19*** SARAS or NAL S19 etc. the fact remains that it's no more exactly what it was in 2004.

Whatever they do at least they should get rid of that ugly pitot tube.

Trololo

Country flag
Seeing the experience of TATA in setting up the production lines, it will be prudent to hand over Saras production lines to TATA once they are finalized for large production. TATA can even market it in 3rd world countries.
IMO NAL can enter into an IP sharing agreement with Tata and hand over the Saras to them to manufacture. I wonder if the Saras can become a base to build an ATR 72 class of aircraft. The pusher configuration for an ATR 72 class of aircraft isn't ideal but that can be modded by moving the engines on the wings.

Since NAL's primary role has been that of a research lab's, I feel that this is the best step forward. It will help to greatly catalyze the Indian aerospace industry to produce more indigenous aircraft.

abingdonboy

Country flag

Nice info. The 19 seat variant is what’s needed ASAP, it will transform regional air transport in India if it can be produced fast enough and to a high quality.

On the avionics, I hope they don’t try and reinvent the wheel and go for a fully off the shelf solution from Garmin or there like as every other regional/executive jet manufacturer does. Since 2004 aviation has moved on significantly in this regard, digital instruments are not enough anymore

Attachments

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Nice info. The 19 seat variant is what’s needed ASAP, it will transform regional air transport in India if it can be produced fast enough and to a high quality.

On the avionics, I hope they don’t try and reinvent the wheel and go for a fully off the shelf solution from Garmin or there like as every other regional/executive jet manufacturer does. Since 2004 aviation has moved on significantly in this regard, digital instruments are not enough anymore
Garmin is almost standard. But for Indian market lets promote an Indian manufacturer. Creation of entire ecosystem is important. HALBIT could be given charge.

-----
Forget to ask earlier. Which stage you are at and you choice for Type Rating?

abingdonboy

Country flag
Garmin is almost standard. But for Indian market lets promote an Indian manufacturer. Creation of entire ecosystem is important. HALBIT could be given charge.

-----
Forget to ask earlier. Which stage you are at and you choice for Type Rating?
HALBIT would be a decent alternative sure, just hope whatever is delivered with it is contemporary, the original cockpit is woefully outdated by current standards and Saras needs to be world class otherwise we know the criticism will be strong from a certain lobby.....

————-

Am about to start ground school, the course I am enrolled in is a 18 month ab-intio integrated ATPL. Flight school will then find an airline to employ me and they’ll decide on type rating. Most likely A320NEO.

proud_indian

Country flag
offtopic

Embraer/FMA CBA 123 Vector (canceled)
It looks like a more refined saras, flown in 1990, 19 seater wow

NAL Saras

Rahul Singh

Country flag
HALBIT would be a decent alternative sure, just hope whatever is delivered with it is contemporary, the original cockpit is woefully outdated by current standards and Saras needs to be world class otherwise we know the criticism will be strong from a certain lobby.....

————-

Am about to start ground school, the course I am enrolled in is a 18 month ab-intio integrated ATPL. Flight school will then find an airline to employ me and they’ll decide on type rating. Most likely A320NEO.
19 seater MK-2 is getting contemporary to advance avionics that is there in the market. It has been confirmed.

I hope GOI makes an aggressive sells pitch for SARAS like by selling first 200 SARAS on 25-40% subsidy. Airlines buying in large numbers say 10 plus should get extra freebies like free maintenance training and Type rating to its engineers and cadet pilots respectively at HAL. License fee and Tax waivers to upcoming Airlines focused on regional segment.

Airline business is of high risk nature and totally 'bottom lines' oriented. Without making SARAS too attractive to ignore its commercial success may be hard to come by. An airline will always choose a Beechcraft or Cessna or Embraer over SARAS for apparent reasons.

--------
A320NEO is my choice because of its fleet share in Indian market. Which will further increase once INDIGO's order is completed. But honestly my heart beats for Boeing 737MAX which Spicejet and Jet Airways are buying in big numbers.

abingdonboy

Country flag
19 seater MK-2 is getting contemporary to advance avionics that is there in the market. It has been confirmed.

I hope GOI makes an aggressive sells pitch for SARAS like by selling first 200 SARAS on 25-40% subsidy. Airlines buying in large numbers say 10 plus should get extra freebies like free maintenance training and Type rating to its engineers and cadet pilots respectively at HAL. License fee and Tax waivers to upcoming Airlines focused on regional segment.

Airline business is of high risk nature and totally 'bottom lines' oriented. Without making SARAS too attractive to ignore its commercial success may be hard to come by. An airline will always choose a Beechcraft or Cessna or Embraer over SARAS for apparent reasons.

--------
A320NEO is my choice because of its fleet share in Indian market. Which will further increase once INDIGO's order is completed. But honestly my heart beats for Boeing 737MAX which Spicejet and Jet Airways are buying in big numbers.
Govt will be foolish if they don’t offer massive subsidies for Saras, every other aircraft manufacturer has govt subsidies from their respective govts.

—————
Have no real preference although 737 seems like it would be more “fun” to fly. Where will you be doing your type rating?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles