My Quadcopter UAV Build

vineet_p

Vineet that is fantastic. Please continue to build stuff.

I used a generic copy of the KKmulticopter board that uses an Atmega processor. Its not the best decision I made as I realized later that three separate gyros is much more unstable than a single MEMS gyro chip. Anyway, I am happy I got it to lift off. I am on my second build now after figuring out all my mistakes.

Awesome start for someone just outta school. Please never stop building stuff. Dont let engineering college ruin your engineering mind. :)

Welcome to the forum and do let me know if you need me to procure anything to help with the build.

@ Singh, now this is someone that DRDO could petentially hire in the future.
Thanks for the appreciation.
kkMulticopter... yeah. even i heard peizo gyros, although costlier are more inaccurate than Mems gyros, I'd suggest something like this for your second build:
MWC MultiWii SE Standard Edition 4-axis X-mode Flight Control Board QUADX $46.72 Free Shipping @GoodLuckBuy.com
it's got a barometer (alt) and magnetometer too (for orientation).

unfortunately, it's getting more and more difficult day by day to find time for building all this. I always try not to be just-an-ordinary-chap, but we're made! :(

Thanks, anyway!

Vineet

PS: My dad works for DRDL (Def. res. and devp lab.)

H.A.

Damn....all this is urging me to go ahead for my build my hands are itching to build one but lack of Vitamin M is delaying the process....anyways someday for sure...

H.A.

kkMulticopter... yeah. even i heard peizo gyros, although costlier are more inaccurate than Mems gyros, I'd suggest something like this for your second build:
MWC MultiWii SE Standard Edition 4-axis X-mode Flight Control Board QUADX $46.72 Free Shipping @GoodLuckBuy.com

unfortunately, it's getting more and more difficult day by day to find time for building all this. I always try not to be just-an-ordinary-chap, but we're made! :(

Thanks, anyway!

Vineet

Lethal combination....

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag

Thanks, anyway!

Vineet

Instead of this you can also use ArduPilot Mega (APM), it has a build in Gyro, Barometer, magnetometer and accelerometer
ArduPilot - DIY Drones
https://store.diydrones.com/category_s/1.htm

Hardware includes the following:
3-axis gyros
3-axis accelerometers
3-axis magnetometer
Barometric pressure sensor for altitude
10Hz GPS module
4 Mb of onboard datalogging memory. Missions are automatically datalogged and can be exported to KML
Built-in hardware failsafe processor, can return-to-launch on radio loss.
Include relay can trigger any device, can be controlled by mission scripts.
(Optional) Airspeed sensor
(Optional) Current sensor
(Optional) 2-way telemetry

Also you get a Mission Planner ------------>

But the best one, APM-2 is around $200 ... :okay:

Last edited:

vineet_p

@Dk the god

Yeah, I knew of arduPilot, but it costs me more bucks! And my present flight controller can be upgraded to have magnetometer and barometer and a GPS module too, just a few 10s of lines of code.
Thanks for the advice,

Vineet

venkat

vineet ,there is one http://www.mikrokopter.de which makes quadra and hexa copters with GPS navigation. The price was around 1200 euros:shocked: which includes brush less dc motors,Li-ion battery pack and ofcourse the controller board. RC station extra!!!

Last edited:

trackwhack

What's the fun if you aren't building it yourself. My initial thought was to build everything include the board myself but wanted to get some experience flying a basic quad. Hence bought the board. Vineet you must teach yourself microcontroler programing. Eventually the aim is to build the whole thing yourself. At least that's what I am hoping for.

vineet_p

Thanks trackwhack.

I tried my hands at it and it was a jolly good task. I am presently trying to program an arduino nano. I tried hooking an ADXL345 Acc and an ITG3205 gyro to it and was pretty succesful.
Thanks,
Vineet

vineet_p

vineet ,there is one StartSeite - Wiki: MikroKopter.de which makes quadra and hexa copters with GPS navigation. The price was around 1200 euros:shocked: which includes brush less dc motors,Li-ion battery pack and ofcourse the controller board. RC station extra!!!
I had watched the video of their Hexacopter a month ago and was pretty impressed. But price is not the only problem. CUSTOMS! One guy I know had bought an RC plane that costs something around Rs. 10,000. It was detained at Mumbai. Upon approaching the Mumbai FPO, he was asked to give an unofficial amount of 20,000, besided the official customs duty!

But I like build-and-fly than buy-and-fly.

subhashr

Hi. Am currently building my second quadcopter. Like Trackwhack, just want to get to FPV. Have some experience flying Cessnas and some paragliding, but never flown RC. So FPV is an aging guys cheaper (and less stressful) answer for solitude in the skies.

My first quad, postumously named "Titanic", flew away. It was built with Hobby King parts. An inexpensive transmitter, the KK fligjt controller, low end 1300 kv motors and HK SS ESCs. Fined tuned, upgraded software and tested for a month. Went from 10 to 8 inch props before I could get some control over it. Was always fighting the yawing or the flipping. Got it to fly, but never hover. On its last flight, it started to yaw midflight and in trying to trim the yaw, it flew out of radio range and it just kept going....

For the second quad, will be using a Futaba transmitter, a Fy90q flight controller, turnigy plush ESCs and a slower motor. My son has nicknamed it "Queen Mary". Named after the passenger liner not the WW2 ship. I dont think he quite enjoyed searching the countryside for the missing "Titanic".

H.A.

Well all the best with Queen Mary....so you a pilot by profession?...inbetween what does FPV mean?

vineet_p

FPV = First-person video

Live transmission of video from an on-board camera on the quadcopter/plane to an FPV station near us.

vineet_p

BTW, Mr.subashr, by slower motors if you mean those dt700s or dt750s from Hobbyking, DO NOT BUY THEM! They're such a piece of crap - they can't withstand even a minor bad-landing. Their gurb screw-type mount is very loose and troublesome. It's better to buy the NTM propdrive 2826 or 2836 instead at an extra cost. :)

Vineet

subhashr

BTW, Mr.subashr, by slower motors if you mean those dt700s or dt750s from Hobbyking, DO NOT BUY THEM! They're such a piece of crap - they can't withstand even a minor bad-landing. Their gurb screw-type mount is very loose and troublesome. It's better to buy the NTM propdrive 2826 or 2836 instead at an extra cost. :)

Vineet
Thanks Vineet. I already have the DT700 from HK.

Will take your advice on the motors for the next one. For which I hope to get the DJI Naza FC.

Trust you have used the NTM motors?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles